PDA

View Full Version : A turn decision with a marginal hand

jason_t
03-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Villians are both new to the table and unknown.

I have top pair with a lame kicker that I'm not sure if I want to spike, and a gutshot but the 7/images/graemlins/club.gif might be dirty. Is this a fold?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero folds, CO calls.

River: (14.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

DemonDeac
03-03-2005, 03:08 AM
i think if ur gonna check/raise anywhere it should be the flop, if ur not gonna lead out at it.
but other than that, im letting this go on the turn

jason_t
03-03-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think if ur gonna check/raise anywhere it should be the flop, if ur not gonna lead out at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why this is better?

MisterKing
03-03-2005, 03:21 AM
You're holding a very vulnerable hand on a drawy board... I'd get as many bets in as I can on the flop, and try to limit the field as much as possible. You won't be able to rid yourselves of opponents holding clubs, but the overcards shouldn't be too hard to knock out with a C/R. SB might be the only one you can't get rid of.

The rest of the hand plays much differently if you ram the flop. I don't think CO would be nearly so bold on the turn, and you may have a better handle on what SB is up to. And while we're at it, SB's call/cap on the turn is extraordinarily strange. Has he suddenly decided he'd like it to be heads up (with something like 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif)? I doubt it... are his stats equally strange?

DemonDeac
03-03-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why this is better?

[/ QUOTE ]

1)i dont think the c/r is better. i actually prefer the flop lead bet to try and reduce field and get a better idea of where you're at in hand
2)narrow field b/w you and CO
3)read hand better--&gt;if he comes over the top of ur c/r, u can take it to the bank that ur beat, and you only lost a few SBs, not BBs.

does this make sense? sometimes things sound better in my head than writte

SGS
03-03-2005, 03:29 AM
I might check-raise the flop and go from there. The way you played it I fold the turn.

SGS

jason_t
03-03-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1)i dont think the c/r is better. i actually prefer the flop lead bet to try and reduce field and get a better idea of where you're at in hand
2)narrow field b/w you and CO
3)read hand better--&gt;if he comes over the top of ur c/r, u can take it to the bank that ur beat, and you only lost a few SBs, not BBs.

does this make sense? sometimes things sound better in my head than writte

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Thanks.