PDA

View Full Version : Does this indicate that I am running bad?

Buckmulligan
03-03-2005, 02:25 AM
Top Hands by Win %

1. AA (82.2%) (71% preflop raise)
2. AKs (60%) (96.7% preflop raise)
3. KK (54%) (92% preflop raise)
4. TT (52%) (90.48% preflop raise)
5. JJ (52% (94% preflop raise)
6. QQ (51%) (94% preflop raise)
7. AK (51%) (94% preflop raise)
8. AQs (50%) (97% preflop raise)
9. AQ (48%) (82% prelop raise)
10 ATs (46%) (85% preflop raise)

I just feel like I should be taking down a higher percentage of pots with these. Is this standard?

davelin
03-03-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Top Hands by Win %

2. AKs (60%) (96.7% preflop raise)
3. KK (54%) (92% preflop raise)
6. QQ (51%) (94% preflop raise)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why aren't these 100%?

scotty34
03-03-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm... this should be 100% PFR, and there really is not reason not to

milesdyson
03-03-2005, 02:37 AM
Damn dude, you don't raise AA 3/10 times you get the chance to. That's horrible.

BTW you're running bad on a few, good on others.

Buckmulligan
03-03-2005, 02:44 AM
I don't think 71% is bad with AA. I'm only limping with it if it's folded to me in MP3 CO, button, or SB. I have also cold called several times with this hand to add deception under the right circumstances (i.e. folded to me from the raiser).
Why is it that staggering that I wouldn't raise the other hands 7% of the time (i.e. kings). I'm fully aware of their strength, and once again, it was probably for deceptive purposes.
Back to the Aces though... You raise 100% of the time prelfop with aces and you are losing value IMO.

davelin
03-03-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think 71% is bad with AA. I'm only limping with it if it's folded to me in MP3 CO, button, or SB. I have also cold called several times with this hand to add deception under the right circumstances (i.e. folded to me from the raiser).
Why is it that staggering that I wouldn't raise the other hands 7% of the time (i.e. kings). I'm fully aware of their strength, and once again, it was probably for deceptive purposes.
Back to the Aces though... You raise 100% of the time prelfop with aces and you are losing value IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

This. Is. Terrible.

scotty34
03-03-2005, 02:49 AM
This has been discussed many times over in many of these forums. It is never right to not raise AA when you have the opportunity.

Catt
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think 71% is bad with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a mistake. You might, with a very strong read, coldcall AA against a pre-flop raise when it's pretty much certain to be heads-up, but no way should such circumstances present themselves other than very, very rarely.

Buckmulligan
Which are good, which are bad?

Trust me again! I don't screw around with AA unless the situation is right. You don't think there are 3 situations for every ten in which you can trap a raiser, or at least benefit from the deceptive strengths of AA? My EV with AA certainly isn't suffering because of it.

milesdyson
03-03-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My EV with AA certainly isn't suffering because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet it is!

FWIW I'm:

AA (100%)
KK (100%)
QQ (100%)
JJ (93%)
AKs (100%)
AKo (100%)
AQs (85%)

jon_keck
03-03-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. They'll call with worse hands (obviously since all starting hands are worse than AA) and they'll make top/second pair or worse with them, and you'll get action from them.

You would occasionally get more action by being deceptive, but I don't think this extra action from losing hands outweighs the combined effect of getting your money in earlier and losing less frequently.

einbert
03-03-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You raise 100% of the time preflop with aces and you are losing value IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you losing value when you raise with the best hand and your opponent calls you with a worse hand?

BTW, my VPIP for AA is not quite 100%, simply because a few times I've had it in the BB and it got folded all around :-(.

[ QUOTE ]
I have also cold called several times with this hand to add deception under the right circumstances (i.e. folded to me from the raiser).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is particularly bad. If it's already raised once you NEED to 3-bet. You have the best hand, you have position, this is an incredibly profitable situation for you and you need to milk it for all it's worth.

Buckmulligan
03-03-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This. Is. Terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't mind being terrible in this situation. The reasoning you have for why this should be played so aggressively so often is just conjecture. Therefore, I'm sticking to it and conjecturing back.

[ QUOTE ]
You raise 100% of the time prelfop with aces and you are losing value IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

scotty34
03-03-2005, 02:57 AM
A raiser certainly is not going to outright fold to your reraise. This adds value

A raiser may re-reraise you. This adds value

If the raiser misses his hand, there is a good chance he will bet the flop anyways. This adds value, and an option to trap for bigger bets on the turn.

If the raiser hits his hand, and it is still weaker than yours, he will bet. This adds value, and an option to trap for bigger bets on the turn.

If the raiser hits his hand, and it is now better than yours, you are going to lose anyways. This is the only situation where you lose value, but this is unavoidable.

einbert
03-03-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This. Is. Terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't mind being terrible in this situation. The reasoning you have for why this should be played so aggressively so often is just conjecture. Therefore, I'm sticking to it and conjecturing back.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the primary mistake you profit from at the micro-limits Buck?

Entity
03-03-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. Note: I don't always cap with Aces, but in non-HU situations, I'm getting in as many bets as possible preflop, when my equity edge is the largest (and they are less likely to fold).

71% is pretty bad.

Rob

Buckmulligan
03-03-2005, 03:09 AM
If you cold call, you can trap for bigger bets on 4th and 5th. I don't want to raise KJ or AT or any big pocket pair here heads up preflop because I don't want him to have any doubt in his mind that his top pair after the flop is best. Especially if he has KJ or AT, I don't want him going into check/call mode.
It is close with KK, QQ, JJ though, as was correctly noted. these hands will reraise which is certainly better value for you than calling, so ya, if the player is passive preflop, I'm going to reraise him, at least from now on. With a more aggressive preflop player, Im going to go after that .5 BB that I lose preflop later on in the hand; usually I think I will get more.
My AA EV is 3.24 over 45 samples which may not be incredible but it's not "suffering"

Entity
03-03-2005, 03:11 AM
You aren't running bad from looking at your hand stats. If your EV is suffering, it's possibly from FPS or general postflop play.

Rob

scotty34
03-03-2005, 03:16 AM
Well firstly, if I raise with KJ or something, and get 3-bet, there is usually not much doubt in my mind that I have top pair if a K hits the flop. This is because most of the time, I'm right. This is low limit, people will 3-bet with all kinds of hands.

Secondly, of course its not "suffering." I would be extremely surprised to see a negative figure for AA ever. A hand with that is 3:1 or better against most hands certainly should not have a negative BB/100. It can definetly be better though. Mine is 4.88 currently FWIW

Buckmulligan
03-03-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well firstly, if I raise with KJ or something, and get 3-bet, there is usually not much doubt in my mind that I have top pair if a K hits the flop. This is because most of the time, I'm right. This is low limit, people will 3-bet with all kinds of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well this makes some sense. Would I be correct to stand by my original hypothesis at a higher limit and jump on your bandwagon at the micro?

Buckmulligan
03-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Back to the original question:

I showed the raise % to indicate that I am not passive preflop. Are the sub 50% hands listed normal at this limit ?

Entity
03-03-2005, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine is 4.88 currently FWIW

[/ QUOTE ]

You're running really well. The general consensus is that AA will hold up to be good for around 2.7-3bb/hand (this comes from looking at AA's success over the course of 100k hands.

Rob

Rob

Entity
03-03-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well this makes some sense. Would I be correct to stand by my original hypothesis at a higher limit and jump on your bandwagon at the micro?

[/ QUOTE ]

In HU pots, sometimes. The honest answer is that it's hard to extract the extra bets you're missing over the long run, as some of the time, you would have gotten the bets anyway, and some of the time, you won't get any bets postflop when they miss with their hands.

It's not that capping HU with AA every time is a must; I would say, though, that if you are routinely not capping in 3-way or more pots, you are missing out on a lot of bets, and if you're playing in games which are routinely HU when you're holding Aces, you need to work on your game selection skills.

Rob

Reef
03-03-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This. Is. Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]
just slightly better than folding, IMO

moot
03-03-2005, 03:46 AM
There's no logical reason to limp with AA, even it late position as the first in. At low limits many players who call one call two just as easily. There's no need for "deception." Raises are rarely respected. Additionally, raising as the first in will often look like a steal, so you'll often get MORE action than less.

You're probably limping so the blind hits a pair and calls you down with horrible odds, but most players that bad will call your raise anyway in the blinds, and then still call you down. They want to believe you have two high unpaired cards.

You have to raise.

bottomset
03-03-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This. Is. Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

even worse advice is believing the BS you spit to defend it

leave the FPS for game designers, and just fire away

davelin
03-03-2005, 04:05 AM
Expecting to take more than 80% of pots with AA seems optimistic to me too.

kapw7
03-03-2005, 04:48 AM
You raise much more with KK than AA? What's the logic in this? Your idea of deception with AA can work better in a no-limit game. In limit you just lose value. Maybe it might be correct play in a few occasions but 71% (PF raise) looks like a big leak. And 82% (winrate) is high even for AA. So don't decept yourself that you play optimally. You just run well with AAs. Generally, you can never have a good enough sample for more accurate conclusions. For example you need 250,000 hands in total to have 1000 AA hands etc.