PDA

View Full Version : River Decision, Villain Overbets Pot

AEKDBet
03-03-2005, 02:16 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($59.05)
Hero ($227.35)
UTG ($29.45)
MP ($91.35)
CO ($101.2)
Button ($117.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.50, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($9) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, MP calls $7, SB folds.

Turn: ($23) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: ($23) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $30</font>, Hero ???.

This hand speaks for itself. The stand-out point is obviously the hugh overbet on the river.

BobboFitos
03-03-2005, 02:19 AM
This hand is rather ugly.

who knows, i dont like to call raises with T2. Even suited.

i dont understand:
[ QUOTE ]
this hand speaks for itself. The stand-out point is obviously the hugh overbet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not an overbet, actually. 26 raise into a 31 pot.

I haven't posted or read in a week or so, though, so maybe i'm missing something /images/graemlins/confused.gif

AEKDBet
03-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Correct. It felt like an overbet based on the action. I should have said large river bet (or something).

tree_stump
03-03-2005, 02:34 AM
I can't help but think that it's one of two things:

1. A steal attempt, and you need to call.

2. He has a K with a weak kicker, and you're crushed.

So, your call is dependent on your read. However, I fold this. Preflop.

AEKDBet
03-03-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand is rather ugly.

who knows, i dont like to call raises with T2. Even suited.

i dont understand:
[ QUOTE ]
this hand speaks for itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok well here's what I mean't.

Flop: ($9) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

I'm representing at least middle pair here and just want to take down the pot. His call makes me think draw, overcards, or something like K9 or A9.

Turn: ($23) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.
I rule out monster hand here. I don't put him on a king either since he would have made his draw with something like KQ and put pressure on me with a bet.

River: ($23) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $30</font>, Hero ???.

I weak lead, hoping for a call. After he raised I really wished I check called, since I really am quite weak. With the king on the river it's unlikly he has a king. I think its more likely my hand is good and he missed, or he slowplayed a set and has me crused.

Opinions? What would you do?

AEKDBet
03-03-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I fold this. Preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

100X BB stacks, $2 to see a flop, 2 player in. I call here usually for the implied odds. Of course now I put myself in the cooker, but at least it forced me to put some real thought into the hand.

tree_stump
03-03-2005, 02:46 AM
True. My initial thought, like I said, is that it's a steal and your pair holds up. However, I'm a p***y, and there's no way I'm calling that bet on the river.

BobboFitos
03-03-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, I fold this. Preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

100X BB stacks, $2 to see a flop, 2 player in. I call here usually for the implied odds. Of course now I put myself in the cooker, but at least it forced me to put some real thought into the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

implied odds work great when you "know" you're up against a big hand, and will get paid off when you make a disguised big hand to crack their "big" (but not as big as your) hand.

However, 6max a raise doesn't mean a big hand, and T2s cant really hit the flop in such a way to extract alot of money. what kind of flops do you want? K T 2 vs AK?

Maybe I dont like putting myslef in those kind of tough spots, but I'd rather spend the 2$ on a new toothbrush or something rather than seeing this flop.

bort411
03-03-2005, 03:01 AM
This is an easy fold. What range of hands do you put MP on? Does 10 2 beat any of them? That huge raise just made things easy for you; there's no way your ahead here half of the time.

If he raised any 2 broadway cards preflop, except for AJ and AQ, you're behind. Any pocket pair higher than 88, too, you're losing. Even if your opponent thinks he's bluffing he's probably got you beat. The way I see it you're getting even money on putting your opponent on AQ or AJ; easy fold

Also, I'd caution against making loose calls preflop with implied odds. With a hand like this, it's very seldom you will comfortably know where you stand. Even if you flop two pair or better, this hand is still tough to play, especially out of position. Even a flopped flush would be difficult to extract money and play agressively.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm folding this hand unconditionially preflop from any position.

AEKDBet
03-03-2005, 03:28 AM
Results:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($59.05)
Hero ($227.35)
UTG ($29.45)
MP ($91.35)
CO ($101.2)
Button ($117.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.50, Hero calls $2.

Hero checks, MP checks.

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $30</font>, Hero calls $26.

Final Pot: $83

Hero has Tc 2c (two pair, kings and tens).
MP has 8h Jc (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins $83.

I called here because he bet so much on the river. His bet was a 'buy this pot' bet. I thought bluff, if I was wrong, well then crap. Thankfully I wasn't and I scooped a nice pot with my 10/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif.

TheWorstPlayer
03-03-2005, 03:46 AM
A made hand bets the turn or raises the flop. Call and expect to see 87o cause this guy is clearly a moron.

edge
03-03-2005, 04:38 AM
I'm putting him on AQ or AJ here. He doesn't have a big hand or a King, since he checked the turn through. He doesn't have a pair higher than your tens either, since he just called the flop. It's not a flopped set, since that would bet the turn. You're good here, but yeah, I much prefer check-calling the river.

Preflop is no good though.