PDA

View Full Version : 4th hand of tourney..

Guelph
03-03-2005, 02:13 AM
I think I made the right play in general.. Should I have played any different with it being so early in a tournament? I generally play tight early, but if I can double up quickly, I can avoid getting sucked in by marginal hands for a while longer at least...

My thoughts as the hand progressed are in blue...

PokerStars Game #1280089507: Tournament #5472426, Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2005/02/27 - 19:48:05 (ET) Table '5472426 127' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: MP1 (1770 in chips)
Seat 2: MP2 (1500 in chips)
Seat 3: MP3 (1340 in chips)
Seat 4: CO (1500 in chips)
Seat 5: Guelph (1420 in chips)
Seat 6: SB (1460 in chips)
Seat 7: BB (1500 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 8: UTG (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: UTG+1 (1500 in chips)
SB posts small blind 10
BB posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Guelph [3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]
2 folds, MP1 calls 20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls 20, CO calls 20, Guelph raises 80 to 100, SB calls 90, BB folds, MP1 calls 80, MP3 folds, CO folds
<font color="blue">
I gave a raise to try to weed out some of the trash and help narrow down the range of possible hands. Also, if I hit my set, there's probably enough in the pot to bring more hands along. If I miss on a rag board, I might be able to pick up the pot.
</font>
*** FLOP *** [4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] (Pot is 360)
<font color="blue">
I love the 3, and the presence of draws. My plan was to bet about 1/2 pot or so and hope a couple of overs or one pair or a draw comes along for the ride. If no card that completes a draw comes on the turn I'm ready to push.
</font>
SB bets 20, MP1 calls 20, Guelph: raises 180 to 200
<font color="blue">
I liked seeing a little action before me, I'm guessing the initial better probably had 2 hearts, or maybe something containing a 7.
MP1 I can see calling with any 2 he'd call with preflop, which this early could be almost anything.
At this point I think I'm pretty well ahead.
</font>
SB raises 180 to 380, MP1 calls 360
<font color="blue">
The min-reraise is a little bit troublesome. It tells me he has something, but is still afraid of something bigger.
I figure he could have 65. It would make sense that he'd move here because he knew he had someone hooked, but would want to protect against a flush draw. Small chance.
He could have nut flush draw, but I would expect that hand to bet the flop strongly so he might not have to hit the flush.
Could have 76? Any flush draw containing the 4? Those would be somewhat loose calls preflop, but not too surprising at this level.
Overpair? Big pair would/should reraise, middle-low pair would fit the play here too. I imagine a set is possible, but I would've expected a set to either overbet or check the flop.

Should MP1's continual calling scare me here or at the start of a $10 MTT can I usually discount it as fishy play?
</font>

Guelph: raises 940 to 1320 and is all-in
<font color="blue">
I'd be thrilled to take this down, and if it doesn't win it right here, I'm hoping to see 1 pair or a draw.
</font>
SB calls 940, MP1 raises 350 to 1670 and is all-in, SB calls 40 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] [T /images/graemlins/heart.gif]
*** RIVER *** [4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif] [5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

Results to follow...

Guelph
03-03-2005, 02:14 AM
*** SHOW DOWN ***
<font color="white">
SB: shows [Jd Js] (a pair of Jacks)
MP1: shows [4c 4h] (three of a kind, Fours)
Guelph: shows [3c 3s] (three of a kind, Threes)
MP1 collected 4320 from main pot
</font>

Just a case of cards happening, or is there a case for playing this any differently?