PDA

View Full Version : Am I really a jag off??? (Should I have called this turn all-in bet?)

PotatoStew
03-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Because that's what I got called at the end of this hand:

Absolute Poker, .10/.25 No Limit. 8 Players at the table. Average stack is around $12. Largest is $54, and I have $32.

Preflop: I'm in the BB with AdKd. UTG ($10 stack) limps. 2 folds, Hijack and CO limp. Button folds, SB completes, I raise to $1.25. UTG and MP call, all others fold.

Flop (~$4.25 in pot): 5 J 5, rainbow with one of my suit.

I bet $3.25, hoping to end things right here. Both UTG and MP call.

Turn: (~$14 in pot) 7d

I check, UTG goes all in for $6.30. MP folds.

My thinking here: I'm most likely behind at this point. I figure UTG has either a mid pocket pair or a Jack. Maybe the 5, but probably not (would he really go all in with it? I don't know). If it's a mid PP or jack, my ace and K outs are likely to be good. In any case, any diamond will give me the nut flush. There's also a very slim possibility he has nothing and is just pushing due to my weakness here on the turn (possible, but I'm not really counting on that). It's a $6.30 call for a nearly $19 and change pot.

So I call.

Thoughts? Reprimands?

tree_stump
03-03-2005, 02:15 AM
My initial thought is that you shouldn't try to draw to a losing hand... with any 5 or J5 making hands you basically can't beat, I'd probably take a stab at it on the flop and release on the turn. Of course, the guy wouldn't have been upset if you hadn't rivered him... you catch an A or K to beat his J?

PotatoStew
03-03-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, the guy wouldn't have been upset if you hadn't rivered him...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true... I've been berated after a bad play even when I've lost on occassion, and I've seen it happen to others.

Some folks are just wound too tight I think.

At any rate, I'll post the results after a few more replies. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

(Edit: By the way, I still have hope against almost "any 5" ... if I catch my flush. J5 is hopeless though, yes.)

Alex/Mugaaz
03-03-2005, 02:22 AM
I see him having 77 in the hole. At the newbie level his play fits to having that. Typical super weak player would of moved in if he had a J or 5 on the flop.

BobboFitos
03-03-2005, 02:24 AM
jag off

PotatoStew
03-03-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I see him having 77 in the hole. At the newbie level his play fits to having that. Typical super weak player would of moved in if he had a J or 5 on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, that being your read, do you think the odds are there to justify this call, or would you fold the turn to his all-in?

(Edit: oops, nevermind... I just woke up. Immediately after posting this reply I realized that if he does have 77 then he has a FH, so no, the call shouldn't be made (if you're very certain about this read))

JonLines
03-03-2005, 10:00 AM
You are getting the pot odds on this hand assuming he has just a pair. You have 9 outs to the flush, and a further 6 for the overcards. Thats about a 30% chance of catching an out on the river. The chance of him having a full house or trips could probably be offset by the chance of a complete bluff, or flush draw himself.

Look at it this way, you play the hand 3 times, that will cost you $18.90, you will win once (roughly), that will win you $25. So thats a $6.10 profit for the 3 times you play it.

djoyce003
03-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Raise more with this many limpers is point 1.

If he has some random hand like J 5 you are behind, but not that many terrible players will even play that. I think the only "real" hand you are realistically worried about..maybe a weakly played JJ. I think given that you are drawing at the nut flush, and your overcards might be good...you are getting the right pot odds to call here.