PDA

View Full Version : "Tournament Browser"

WarDekar
03-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Okay, I got to thinking on something I want to program and wanted input on it. First and foremost, it would essentially shrink the Party windows and skin them however you please. 400x300, 600x200 so you can 6-table on 1600x1200 and still have screen left, etc.

Other functionalities would include an auto-seater. You select the level you want to buy-in at and the # of tables you want to play at a time and it will keep joining tables hwen you get knocked out. You can have an "avoid" list and set thresholds on when to join or leave a table before it has started. i.e. If there are >1 people at the table that are on your avoid list, you will leave before it high-cards.

Next, in the future I would want to add either auto-importing into a spreadsheet or adding all that functionality directly into the program.

Any other cool ideas I or someone else comes up with.

With these functionalities, how much would you pay, and what level do you play at? Trying to get some sort of demographic idea...

WarDekar
03-03-2005, 02:17 AM
Bump

Apathy
03-03-2005, 04:06 AM
Wouldn't this make the tables really hard to see?

SuitedSixes
03-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Here's what I want:
To be able to 8 table (or more) on two different skins on a 1600x1200 using something similar to UB's mini-view. I want all of the action to be left to right with the SB on the left on the button on the right (or where I am always in the same spot). I want to be able to quickly see how many BBs large my stack is and what level we're on. I would like for the whole window to change color when it is my turn to act. I would pay $200 without hesitation for such a wonderous contraption.

lorinda
03-03-2005, 04:19 AM
If I could four table on a normal cruddy laptop monitor with no overlap, I'd pay one buyin which is currently $33.
I'd happily send $22 more if I moved up, although not so happily if I moved up again.

Lori

SuitedSixes
03-03-2005, 04:21 AM
This is what the mini-view looks like:
http://www.pokerwebguide.com/poker/ultimatebet/miniview.gif

lorinda
03-03-2005, 04:24 AM
Something identical to UB mini-view would be just fine.

Lori

WarDekar
03-03-2005, 04:28 AM
Hopefully I'll have a beta soon. I was thinking of maybe a sliding scale based on the limits you play, maybe even on how much you play at those limits too. This could be accomplished since I could have the program just not work on higher buy-in tourneys, that way if you're a small-time player you pay little, but if you're going to be using it a ton you have to pay more.

SuitedSixes
03-03-2005, 04:35 AM
If I were you, I'd talk to the PokerTracker guy, since he has probably the most successful "plug-in" to date and figure out why he charges what he does.

It is essentially worth more than a new monitor, but I doubt the average player will realize that is what it's worth. Like I said, I'd pay $200 for it, but I would guess you would move more if it was $39.95. Keep us updated on your progress. I can't wait to see it.

eastbay
03-03-2005, 04:51 AM
I've already got two huge monitors so I'm not really in your target base, but a couple of thoughts:

I think people are generally rational about paying for independent developer software that saves or makes them money... up to about $100. Over that, and the vast majority of consumers "turn off" even if they know it can save them the price of, say, a $600 monitor. I have read that has been the experience of countless independent developers trying to sell their programs online. A data point to consider, anyway.

Also, lorinda's calibrating to her buy-in will also be a common way that poker players will think about the value of their money, so I think your idea of scaling to buy-in is brilliant, except for one thing. People generally get annoyed if they think they are paying more than others for "the same thing." So you risk alienating buyers this way. How that washes out in the end... I don't know.

eastbay

curtains
03-03-2005, 04:55 AM
I agree, I think it should be a flat rate, similar to pokertracker. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jeffraider
03-03-2005, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I want:
To be able to 8 table (or more) on two different skins on a 1600x1200 using something similar to UB's mini-view. I want all of the action to be left to right with the SB on the left on the button on the right (or where I am always in the same spot). I want to be able to quickly see how many BBs large my stack is and what level we're on. I would like for the whole window to change color when it is my turn to act. I would pay $200 without hesitation for such a wonderous contraption.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sweet Jesus that would be great.

iMsoLucky0
03-03-2005, 05:27 AM
I think it is a great idea. I 4 table 109s currently and would definitely buy this program.

As for price, I think that $50.00 would be a great price, especially if you accepted payment through transfers on partypoker.

Seems like that might be a very good way to maximize your sales/profits. Make it a good round figure with an easy way to pay.

Hood
03-03-2005, 05:58 AM
Out of interest, how is this program going to work? All I could think of is hiding the poker windows, designing your own, and then passing button-clicks to the poker windows through the windows API.

If you're doing this, I think the you'll run in to trouble with the poker sites. This will act just like a bot. You'd have to work to ensure randomization of button click times and positions.

SuitedSixes
03-03-2005, 05:59 AM
I'll still pay for mine, but I want a design credit. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

zaphod
03-03-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully I'll have a beta soon. I was thinking of maybe a sliding scale based on the limits you play, maybe even on how much you play at those limits too. This could be accomplished since I could have the program just not work on higher buy-in tourneys, that way if you're a small-time player you pay little, but if you're going to be using it a ton you have to pay more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a great program! You are doing something about the 2 things that is most irritating to me on Party Poker.
I don't think a sliding scale payment would be a good idea.

I think with a price 50-100 dollar you could sell quite a few copies of this program. Actually i think you would earn more with 50 dollar.

Good luck, and i am looking forward to buying this program!

WarDekar
03-03-2005, 12:40 PM
That is how it would have to be done, yes. I realize that it would look very much like a bot to Party, and because of this I would make sure that they knew that it wasn't. I'll let you guys know of any progress I make, I don't have an ETA but I have a few other projects going on right now, maybe a month or two for the first version? Can't really guarantee a whole lot with school and all, hopefully soon though!

lorinda
03-03-2005, 01:13 PM
You may wish to ask Party if there is something you can do to identify the program to them.

Lori

sng-sam
03-03-2005, 01:41 PM
To each according to his own needs

From each according to his ability-Karl Marx

I'm thinkin the sliding scale is the 1st step into global communism. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ZBTHorton
03-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Would you be interested in any help with this if it helped out your ETA? PM me....

zaphod
03-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Another thing that would be usueful is if this program could be used on diffrent machines. I often play on different locations, so it would be really usefull if i could use it everywhere!

yeau2
03-03-2005, 10:36 PM
I agree with above, it would be clutch if you sold it in CD format so I could take it to the computer lab at school with me as well. Obviously it would cost more for customers willing or not, but something to think about.

As for price, 50-80 I think is reasonable, depending on in the end whats in it, how bendable the program is. 1680 by 1050 is my laptop monitor top size...dont know if the 1600/1200 would clip one sng off or not. Also, if you could somehow integrate it to automatically show statistics for players that are in ones pokertracker database...you'll have a GOLD mine.