PDA

View Full Version : Heteronormative?! HETERONORMATIVE??!

Rushmore
03-03-2005, 12:42 AM
http://www.thecrimson.com/today/article506104.html

Oh, for the love of God.

1.) So now you must include all of the people of planet Earth in everything you say, or you are "insensitive."

2.) HETERONORMATIVE???!!

3.) What donkeys would call Jada Pinkett-Smith "Artist of the Year?"

The world is getting dumber and dumber.

In fact, just yesterday, I could not remember the word subjectivity. It just would NOT come to me, seriously.

I wonder if this is because I am dumbing down along with the rest of the world, or if maybe it's because the word I was attempting to recall is merely a symbol for something which has become pretty much vestigial.

A_C_Slater
03-03-2005, 12:49 AM
If it makes you feel better I learned a new word today because of you in that that LBT post of yours.

" Mendacious " I had to look it up. I like that word. And I loved the way you used it in your vitriolic attack on MTV and everything that is false and primitive.

EDIT: Had to look up "Vestigial" as well.

Rushmore
03-03-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If it makes you feel better I learned a new word today because of you in that that LBT post of yours.

" Mendacious " I had to look it up. I like that word. And I loved the way you used it in your vitriolic attack on MTV and everything that is false and primitive.

EDIT: Had to look up "Vestigial" as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been accused here before of doing this on purpose, as some sort of ostentatious, er, I mean, uh, show-offy display of vocabulary.

I promise, I do not.

I like the word mendacious, too. It's perfect for certain contexts.

A_C_Slater
03-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Ostentatious?

No.

Pretentious?

Yes.

Entertaining reading?

Most Definitely.

And that's all that really matters here in OOT land.

A_C_Slater
03-03-2005, 01:04 AM
I also like how you dumbed down your wordiness and used the term show offy as a bastardized replacement of the infinitely more appropriate "ostentatious."

Rushmore
03-03-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ostentatious?

No.

Pretentious?

Yes.

Entertaining reading?

Most Definitely.

And that's all that really matters here in OOT land.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goddamnit, that's what I'm saying. I am not being pretentious. This is simply how I speak, and, therefore, write.

I am sorry.

Anyway, I plan on going for more of a clicking and whistling-type thing sometime real soon.

Rushmore
03-03-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also like how you dumbed down your wordiness and used the term show offy as a bastardized replacement of the infinitely more appropriate "ostentatious."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah--I did that for effect.

By wordiness, do you mean verbosity?

A_C_Slater
03-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Why do assume pretentiousness automatically has a negative connotation to it?

Grandiosity is what makes America great.

A_C_Slater
03-03-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah--I did that for effect.

By wordiness, do you mean verbosity?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more along the lines of "articulatoriness." /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[censored]
03-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Don't these idiots realize that antics like this only increases the animosities towards gays?

A_C_Slater
03-03-2005, 01:15 AM
You're just hating on our semantical prowess.

andyfox
03-03-2005, 01:16 AM
What exactly did she say?

[censored]
03-03-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're just hating on our semantical prowess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to sucking off Rushmore and leave me alone.

nothumb
03-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Dumb article, no info on what she actually said?

Don't dumb down, please. I got bitched at in a similar way during an argument. Being literate is not a crime.

NT

Rushmore
03-03-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's fairly obvious that she talked about relationships, and, being an utterly insensitive bitch, forgot to include scenarios which included any beastiality, asexuality, hermaphroditity, homosexuality, or bisexuality.

I mean, what kind of person carries on any kind of conversation or discussion without acknowledging every group of people who exist in the world?!

What a bitch!

Sigh.

nothumb
03-03-2005, 01:36 AM
No, she probably made some joke about men wearing aprons or women shaving their pits.

NT

Rushmore
03-03-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. I found what she said, and now I can see what everyone's so upset about.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=71267

See final paragraph.

I mean, how could anyone NOT be seriously PISSED about this??!

I think maybe the ACLU should get involved.

thatpfunk
03-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Wow, that is [censored] dumb.

(See, I use words everyone can understand while getting my point across clearly) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Oops nevermind... Damn you censor, damn you.

fsuplayer
03-03-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Goddamnit, that's what I'm saying. I am not being pretentious. This is simply how I speak, and, therefore, write.

[/ QUOTE ]

you and gonores are made for eachother.

Rushmore
03-03-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you and gonores are made for eachother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Great. I will attempt to use more general words when I post here, so that I will not incur--that is, precipitate, I mean, uh, bring about--the scorn of the important people here who seem only to want to belittle (insult) other posters for no apparent reason.

I mean this, of course, if your comment was intended (meant) as an insult, which I can only assume it was.

You don't know me! You don't know me!! <finger wagging>

Voltron87
03-03-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
``Women, you can have it all - a loving man, devoted husband, loving children, a fabulous career,'' she said. ``They say you gotta choose. Nah, nah, nah. We are a new generation of women. We got to set a new standard of rules around here. You can do whatever it is you want. All you have to do is want it.''

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, wait... is this what they got pissed off about? I really, really, really hate political college students. Especially the Ivy League ones.

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't dumb down, please. I got bitched at in a similar way during an argument. Being literate is not a crime.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. But let's try to remember that the purpose of language is to communicate. And people that use language to try to sound smarter than everyone else, usually accomplish the opposite.

nothumb
03-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Wow.

Would have been much more inspirational if she had said, "You can have it all: a great career, a loving partner, or, in this state, a spouse of any gender or identity, great children fathered either by your hetero life partner or another man and inserted into the uterus of your spouse, and a boxy Volvo with a Meat is Murder sticker that frat boys will try to scrape off."

NT

maryfield48
03-03-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. But let's try to remember that the purpose of language is to communicate. And people that use language to try to sound smarter than everyone else, usually accomplish the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some times language is employed precisely for the purpose of trying to sound smarter than everyone else.

Even on these forums.

Rushmore
03-03-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For better or worse, I need to explain that I am absolutely NOT trying to sound smarter than everyone else. The words I use are not extravagant or even particularly interesting to me, to be honest.

I think I grew up in a household that played a lot of Scrabble, read a lot of books, and appreciated the English language. I suppose it rubbed off on me.

I'll tell you, when I hang out with the few friends I have, I feel like an illiterate monkey. For better or worse, I have friends who are college professors, writers and other assorted brainiacs. They happen to speak with a bit of flair, you might say.

I will take the repeated advice to heart, though, and make sure not to appear as if trying to impress with my use of the language.

What else could I be expected to say to this? I'm trying to be gracious without being overly (solicitous). Please take this post in the honest spirit in which it was written.

NOTE: I couldn't for the life of me think of another way to say solicitous.

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dumb article, no info on what she actually said? Don't dumb down, please. I got bitched at in a similar way during an argument. Being literate is not a crime. NT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Some times language is employed precisely for the purpose of trying to sound smarter than everyone else. Even on these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially on these forums. That was pretty deep. You're obviously way smarter than I am. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

andyfox
03-03-2005, 01:58 PM
How silly the whole to-do is. What did they think she'd talk about, nuclear non-proliferation in the Middle East? She's a professional actress married to Will Smith so chances are she'd talk about that, no? If those comments made people "uncomfortable," we should send 'em Zeno to really upset 'em. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For better or worse, I need to explain that I am absolutely NOT trying to sound smarter than everyone else. The words I use are not extravagant or even particularly interesting to me, to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about heteronormative.

Rushmore
03-03-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about heteronormative

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, man.

You see, the other poster was talking about me, so, etc etc.

My point about heteronormative in the original post was that I think it's just a made up word crafted by someone with an agenda.

Duke
03-03-2005, 02:23 PM
It's easier to converse with only a few people at once, because then you have a better idea of their working vocabularies, and can therefore stick to words present in them.

When someone uses a word that I'm not familiar with, I usually just ask what it means. I think that's because I'm not embarassed by my lack of vocabulary and am more interested in expanding it further than in getting angry that someone inadvertently pointed out a single point of ignorance I posess.

~D