PDA

View Full Version : Fourth hand of tourney with two pair, nut flush draw, etc. etc.

Sam T.
03-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Okay, so you've got top and bottom pair, nut flush draw, and a big bet coming your way. Do you fold and play poker, or roll the dice that villain is either an idiot (this is a $5 tournament), or you can draw out?

Fourth hand so no reads, and all stacks are at t1500ish. Blinds at 5/10, and I figured if I could see a cheap flop, why not?

Hero has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP2 calls. Hero calls. Button calls. SB completes. BB checks.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (Pot: 50)

SB checks. BB checks. MP2 bets 10. Hero raises to 50. Button calls. SB calls. BB folds. MP2 folds.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (Pot 210)

SB checks. Hero bets 120. Button goes all-in for 1410. SB folds. Hero?

Results:
<font color="white"> Hero decided villain was an idiot with the non-nut draw and/or a worse pair, MAYBE a set, and called.

Button shows 7h Td, for the unlikely straight.

River is no help and IGHN. </font>

billyjex
03-03-2005, 02:39 AM
I'd call. The push looks suspicious and is probably some dumbo trying to "bluff" in a $5 tourney. Your two-pair might be good enough to take it down here, if not, you have flush + boat outs.

Getting alot of chips is good.

nsj
03-03-2005, 10:21 AM
I think you need to raise the T10 bet on the flop a little more, say to 80-100, and then lead the turn aggressively for 300.

The all-in against your clear aggression would have allowed you to consider a fold. As he was the button in an unraised pot, he could have anything.

By betting the flop and turn with authority, you've told him "I have a good, made hand." His push can then be interpreted as "I can beat what you have," and you have atleast a chance to get away from the hand.

I'm not saying you could -- it's a tough spot, but it lessens the likelihood that he's messing around with a worse flush draw or a ratty two-pair.