PDA

View Full Version : Do you get nervous everytime you play?

1C5
03-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Posted this in the other forum by mistake. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

For me it is the fact each game is a competiton, a tournament. I can play ring games for hours and not feel anything. SnGs are different though. Everytime I load one up I get this nervous feeling in my stomach and it continues for the rest of the game. The feeling is the same now as in my first game. Does this every go away?

PSUinDC
03-03-2005, 12:20 AM
I dont know... I've played a run of 125 $11 sng's so far, and when I'm 4-tabling, I always have the slight nervous feeling throughout my body when I'm concentrating on all 4 tables and listening to some Techno music at the same time. It lasts for about 20 minutes after I'm done playing SNGs.

I think of it as purging my system with temporary high blood pressure haha

eastbay
03-03-2005, 01:20 AM
I got over that after about the first 1k games.

I do remember having adrenalines rushes before that, though.

eastbay

ChrisV
03-03-2005, 01:52 AM
I rarely get nervous playing any form of online poker anymore. I will admit to a few butterflies the few times I have ventured into a Step 5 - buying in directly.

If you do what I do - play 4 tables and start new SNGs as soon as you finish one - the sense of them being individual tournaments fades away. It's more like a ring game, I've just always got 4 games running.

SuitedSixes
03-03-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you do what I do - play 4 tables and start new SNGs as soon as you finish one - the sense of them being individual tournaments fades away. It's more like a ring game, I've just always got 4 games running.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many do you average an hour using this approach?

dfscott
03-03-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can play ring games for hours and not feel anything. SnGs are different though. Everytime I load one up I get this nervous feeling in my stomach and it continues for the rest of the game. The feeling is the same now as in my first game. Does this every go away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh -- I'm glad you posted this. I thought I was the only one that felt that way.

After about 3 or 4 (when I've gotten at least as far as the bubble), I have to take a break -- I almost feel like I've been playing a FPS. I have noticed that I'm feeling it a lot less now than I did for the first 100. Maybe I'll be calmer after 1000 as well.

MagnoliasFM
03-03-2005, 02:58 AM
I never get nervous unless a significant portion of my bankroll is on the line (which it never is in SNGs). However, when I occasionally take a shot at big games I do get adrenaline rushes which make be play better, as I take every factor into account and am able to make monster reads and plays. I don't think that kind of thing is healthy in the long run though, and I much prefer low-risk SNG games where I can play like a robot and make a lot of relatively risk-free money.

ChrisV
03-03-2005, 03:42 AM
I don't know. That's one of the things my SNG program will be able to tell me if I ever write it.

My guess is around 6.

apd138
03-03-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I always assumed this is the way ereryone did it.

ilya
03-03-2005, 04:40 AM
That's funny, I'm just the opposite. SnGs rarely faze me, but when I play cash games I get nervous. I have more experience with SnGs at this point than I do with cash games, though, so maybe that's why.

Scuba Chuck
03-03-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always assumed this is the way ereryone did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That time between sets allows me to get 30 pushups in and 50/100 situps. But I'm a geek.

skipperbob
03-03-2005, 11:24 AM
No! Yugo is the Geek /images/graemlins/grin.gif And you lie more about your physical regimen than you do about your R.O.I. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Scuba Chuck
03-03-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No! Yugo is the Geek And you lie more about your physical regimen than you do about your R.O.I

[/ QUOTE ]

You caught me, it's actually 30 or more 8-12 oz curls an hour. But I make sure it's a solid workout. I use both arms. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skipperbob
03-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Irieguy gets more exercise lifting his Heiny's /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

nortonmalc
03-03-2005, 11:36 AM
I get nervous in ring games and not STTs. But, I think I'm more psychologically geared towards tourneys than ring games anyway. In tourneys, there is a clearly defined goal. In a ring game, goals are random. I like how in tourneys, you sit there until you've won or lost and that's that.

GtrHtr
03-03-2005, 12:08 PM
I do and I think it is good. I play one at a time an I think it keeps me sharp to be a little nervous. When I play at B&M I am only slightly nervous when I play my first hand. After that its good to go.