PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help Please

ArthurD
03-03-2005, 12:06 AM
I hate making a thread like this, but it's pretty much a last ditch effort. Here's my situation:

I just purchased a new case, motherboard, processor, and second video card off of newegg.com to make myself a new rig.

I properly assembled everything, and it boots. Here's my issue: The CPU fan comes up spinning like normal, but as soon as I get to the first BIOS menu the fan totally stops spinning. I CANNOT assume that this is normal, and it really worries me, so I immedietely shut the computer off every time. My specs are below, any help is EXTREMELY VALUED!

-AMD 64 3400+
-K8NS Pro w/ Nforce chipset

What can possibly be the problem?! Thanks for all help.

BradleyT
03-03-2005, 12:28 AM
It looks like it's normal (http://www.techimo.com/forum/t135445.html) for your motherboard.

ArthurD
03-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Yea, I too googled that, but do you think it is the same as the issue I'm experiencing? I'm really worried to be booting up my computer w/ the CPU fan not spinning, I've always been taught that was rule #1 to never break when building computers.

Hm.

-Arthur

BradleyT
03-03-2005, 01:34 AM
Did you read the thread? AMD 64's have Cool N Quiet which reduces power consumption. Your motherboard has a feature that will turn off the fan when the CPU temp is below XX degrees.

Your fan probably won't come on when playing poker either.

kross
03-03-2005, 02:21 AM
The best way to know for sure, is to install a utility program that allows you to monitor the CPU temperature. All modern motherboards track the CPU temp, you just need to install a program to display it.

Each MB manufacturer usually includes such a program on the CD that comes with the MB. If not, you can usually download it from their web site.

Then just watch the temperature, and make sure it stays in a normal range.

-- Kevin