PDA

View Full Version : raw fish

Rhone
03-02-2005, 11:05 PM
What are your sushi favorites when ordering a la carte? I love sushi, but I typically don't go beyond my standards: tuna, salmon, salmon skin, bbq eel, and mackeral. Oh, and I love the round pieces with the little red eggs on top...those are yummy. But what else is really good that I should be ordering?

PhatTBoll
03-02-2005, 11:23 PM
whitefish, yellowtail, fatty tuna, fatty salmon, sea urchin, sea eel, etc.

When done right, my favorite is yellowtail. Very firm consistency for fish, and lots of flavor.

ethan
03-02-2005, 11:27 PM
<ul type="square">
albacore (it'll be lightly seared. One of my favorites.)
toro (fatty tuna. You'll like it)
ama-ebi or "sweet shrimp". (The shrimp comes as nigiri sushi, then they deep-fry the head and bring it to you on the side. Don't eat the shell that's left on the tail, but you can eat the whole head.)
uni w/quail egg (People tend either to love or hate it. It's worth trying, you may want to try w/o the quail egg as well.)
yellowtail's good
The "little red eggs" you mention are probably masago (smelt eggs). You might try ikura (salmon eggs) - they're larger and generally saltier, but good. Both work well with quail egg.
oysters. And for that matter...
oyster shooters (w/ponzu, sake, smelt eggs, quail egg, hot sauce etc)
[/list]

bholdr
03-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Unagi! freshwater eel is probably the most buttery, flavorful meat i've ever had. (i beleive it's usually served cooked, however)

and inari, fried tofu pouch filled with vinegar-cooled rice, and if the place is really good, little bits of carott and cucumber.

remember: Unagi, Inari.

good stuff.

jdl22
03-02-2005, 11:40 PM
EEL is good but normally a fair bit more expensive (or you get less of it) so probably not worth it. I normally get salmon.

Rhone
03-02-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unagi! freshwater eel is probably the most buttery, flavorful meat i've ever had. (i beleive it's usually served cooked, however)

and inari, fried tofu pouch filled with vinegar-cooled rice, and if the place is really good, little bits of carott and cucumber.

remember: Unagi, Inari.

good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, unagi is one of my favorites (what I called bbq eel). Great stuff.

Rhone
03-02-2005, 11:47 PM
I agree, toro is amazing. But it's too damn expensive to order on a regular basis. The sushi place down the street has it at $17/piece right now... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ethan
03-02-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, toro is amazing. But it's too damn expensive to order on a regular basis. The sushi place down the street has it at $17/piece right now... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous. It's usually $7-9 near me, which is a lot more feasible. If toro's that expensive, the sweet shrimp may be as well.

rusellmj
03-03-2005, 02:06 AM
I've always been partial to Red Snapper with ponzu. Giant Clam and Squid are very flavorful.

Unagi: Candy Sushi.

Russ

ethan
03-03-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always been partial to Red Snapper with ponzu. Giant Clam and Squid are very flavorful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second all of these, although the texture of the latter two may take some getting used to.

AEKDBet
03-03-2005, 05:22 AM
yellowtail hands down

shant
03-03-2005, 06:11 AM
Yellowtail, Spicy Albacore, and Toro.

daryn
03-03-2005, 06:52 AM
unagi is the greatest thing

Catch of the Day
03-03-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
* albacore (it'll be lightly seared. One of my favorites.)
* toro (fatty tuna. You'll like it)
* ama-ebi or "sweet shrimp". (The shrimp comes as nigiri sushi, then they deep-fry the head and bring it to you on the side. Don't eat the shell that's left on the tail, but you can eat the whole head.)
* uni w/quail egg (People tend either to love or hate it. It's worth trying, you may want to try w/o the quail egg as well.)
* yellowtail's good
* The "little red eggs" you mention are probably masago (smelt eggs). You might try ikura (salmon eggs) - they're larger and generally saltier, but good. Both work well with quail egg.
* oysters. And for that matter...
* oyster shooters (w/ponzu, sake, smelt eggs, quail egg, hot sauce etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Work

Catch-

The Dude
03-03-2005, 08:13 AM
I I've been waiting for you to find this thread, and that's all you got?

Freakin
03-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Superwhite Tuna.... none of the places I've gone ever can give me a Japanese name for it... It's like butter in my mouth...

Freakin

offTopic
03-03-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are your sushi favorites when ordering a la carte? I love sushi, but I typically don't go beyond my standards: tuna, salmon, salmon skin, bbq eel, and mackeral. Oh, and I love the round pieces with the little red eggs on top...those are yummy. But what else is really good that I should be ordering?

[/ QUOTE ]

The place my GF pointed me to in SF does live scallop, which is quite good.

They cut the tender part of the scallop out, and make six or eight small nigiri out of that, and then serve it in half of a scallop shell. In the other half, they mix up a sweet/spicy dipping sauce.

They then take the tougher portion, julienne it, and mix it with some julienned veggies, and bring it to the table as tempura. Wonderful.

Fratony
03-03-2005, 08:30 PM
There is this place in my hometown (NJ) called otayi (SP?) and they have this dish called a shashimi roll. I havent seen it anywhere else, but if your local sushi bar has it i HIGHLY recommend it. The way they do it is they take (i think) salmon, tuna, and yellowtail shashimi and roll it into a patty looking thing with the eggs on top and it's in some sort of spicy sauce. Probably the most delicious dish i've ever had.

Two Finger
03-03-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<ul type="square">
albacore (it'll be lightly seared. One of my favorites.)
toro (fatty tuna. You'll like it)
ama-ebi or "sweet shrimp". (The shrimp comes as nigiri sushi, then they deep-fry the head and bring it to you on the side. Don't eat the shell that's left on the tail, but you can eat the whole head.)
uni w/quail egg (People tend either to love or hate it. It's worth trying, you may want to try w/o the quail egg as well.)
yellowtail's good
The "little red eggs" you mention are probably masago (smelt eggs). You might try ikura (salmon eggs) - they're larger and generally saltier, but good. Both work well with quail egg.
oysters. And for that matter...
oyster shooters (w/ponzu, sake, smelt eggs, quail egg, hot sauce etc)
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

can't go wrong with any or most of these.

These are my favs:

negitoro (fatty tuna and scallions)
aji w/ponzu (think this is horse mackarel)
sanma (a lot like the horse mackarel)
vegetable roll (chef just throws random veggies into a roll)
squid w/a shiso leaf inside.
hamachi (bit buttery)
katsuo tataki = seared tuna
hirame w/ponzu (halibut)

Oh yeah, one more dish but not sushi: yosenabe (different seafoods in a hot broth w/noodles)

mmmm. . . .