PDA

View Full Version : What is the best first book (or two) for me?

JC21
03-02-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm looking to purchase my first book, and I'm unsure which book would be best suited for my current skill level.

I'm a beginner, having played less than a year, but I have read a lot of online material, including advice from this forum. I've been playing micro-limits on Pacific, and I've built $10 up to $80+ so far at $0.05/$0.10. My plan is to slowly move up in limits as my bankroll builds. I've learnt as many of the 'basics' as I can, I think I'm ready to study more seriously.

I've heard that TOP and SSHE are not for beginners, but I don't think I'm a complete beginner. Would these two books be suitable for someone in my position?

nmadd
03-03-2005, 12:18 AM
I am a similar beginning player and a "how-to" book freak with any game that I play (my bookshelf is lined with books on chess, backgammon, bridge, spades, cribbage, etc.), so hopefully I can help you with some book suggestions.

I don't think Small Stakes Hold 'Em would be too advanced at all based on your post. I did not play for nearly a year before I bought it and have found it to be VERY helpful, an enjoyable read and my best purchase so far. The book is nearly wrecked I've read it so much already. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would also recommend taking a look at Interent Texas Hold 'Em by Matthew Hilger. This was also helpful to me though I do not think as much as SSHE.

Theory of Poker is a great book as well. I've picked up some great general ideas from it and seems to be a must have for any serious player, though as a beginner I currently find myself thinking more on the beginning ideas I've learned SSHE and ITH.

Good luck.

jdl22
03-03-2005, 12:54 AM
If you have read posts here for awhile you should be ok with SSHE. You won't get everything the noted poker authority is saying but you will pick up a lot of information. Then when you are a little more advanced you can reread it to get those things you didn't get at first.

istewart
03-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Buy SSHE before it becomes a banned book.