PDA

View Full Version : Basics: where to start?

David K.
03-02-2005, 10:25 PM
I want to get better at tournament play. However, I don't know where to look for the basics? For example, I'm always wondering: how many BBs should I bet with AA? With AK? I know it depends on everybody's chip stack and the size of the blinds, but even when a tournament starts, everybody has t1000, BB is t20, I'm UTG with KK: what do I do? t60? t200?

Questions like this, which, I believe, are the very bases of tournament play, have never been answered for me.

Any good book to turn to? Or online article? Or just keep reading this forum?

Phil Van Sexton
03-02-2005, 10:27 PM
- Get Harrington on Holdem.
- Read this forum.

Good luck.

wiggs73
03-02-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- Read this forum.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really.

Bigwig
03-02-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- Read this forum.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, that's way too many endorsements for Harrington's book. I'm hitting the store tomorrow.

My bookshelf looks less eclectic every day. Time to move Huck Finn out. Hasn't been making me any money.

David K.
03-02-2005, 10:37 PM
I was under the impression that Harrington's book is about more advanced topics.. does it also covers the basics?

Phil Van Sexton
03-02-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that Harrington's book is about more advanced topics.. does it also covers the basics?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not for total beginners, but I wouldn't say its advantaced. It's well written and has lots of examples, so you should get a lot out of it.

wiggs73
03-02-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be fine for a beginner to read. Something along the lines of Theory of Poker would probably be too advanced for starters, but Harrington on Hold 'Em and Super System would be great reads for you. One book I'd advise staying away from is Hellmuth's 'Play Poker Like the Pros'. It's not terrible by any sretch, but you'll find much better material in the other 2.

zaphod
03-02-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- Read this forum.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, that's way too many endorsements for Harrington's book. I'm hitting the store tomorrow.

My bookshelf looks less eclectic every day. Time to move Huck Finn out. Hasn't been making me any money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered it too, but i left out Huck Finn.

curtains
03-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Yes Harrington's book is very good, best book on tournament holdem by far IMO. It's a bit more relevant to normal tournaments than sit and go's, but the ideas should help you in all types of tournament poker.

lorinda
03-02-2005, 11:24 PM
If you're pretty much an absolute beginner, play some play chips and fold a lot of hands.

Try to work out at what stage you need to start going all in and at what point it's not worth gambling with the lunatics.

Although this is not the game you will be playing for money, it will teach you some very fundamental things, like folding a lot is good, and dont gamble on coin tosses with idiots.

Lori