PDA

View Full Version : Modest Mouse...

istewart
03-02-2005, 09:44 PM
...is quite annoying and I cannot listen to their music. Anyone in this boat? I have yet to meet a person that doesn't like them.

Prof. Chaos
03-02-2005, 09:49 PM
no one likes you.

deacsoft
03-02-2005, 09:50 PM
I've been listening to them for years. They're gOOt!

Edge34
03-02-2005, 10:01 PM
The answer is clear. Modest Mouse appeared on an episode of "The OC" and as such, it is guaranteed that jstewart cannot like them. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MarkL444
03-02-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no one likes you.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true.

Matty
03-02-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no one likes you.

[/ QUOTE ]I laughed for at least a minute. Thanks. =D

voltron87b
03-02-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm with you. They're annoying.

Ponks
03-02-2005, 10:06 PM
I think they're okay. I'll listen to them, but there is a ton of other stuff I'd rather listen to.

Ponks

bholdr
03-02-2005, 10:26 PM
I, too think they're annoying. actually, i think they just suck.

I've seen them live a half-dozen times, too, as far back as '98, when they were playing teen centers and sucking it up with their emo BS lame attempts at funk rock.

Jack of Arcades
03-02-2005, 10:33 PM
What? Like them are not, that's a pretty horrible description of them.

bholdr
03-02-2005, 10:48 PM
not their formiive years in seattle. like i said, i have seen them many times, from teen centers to house parties.

what part of the description didn't you like?

IMO:
they're still a poor excuse for emo-rock, their beat-heavy, whining, vocally tense and uncomfortable almost condescending sound is at best a poor emulation of the real masters of their genra.

they have capitalized on the popularity and potential of truly great late 90s northwest bands like built to spill and 764-hero and taken it to the masses in a dancable, diluted form.

all IMO.

tbach24
03-02-2005, 10:49 PM
They aren't paticularly great and are just part of some new mold. I really can't tell the difference between them or any other band of that genra (sp?).

istewart
03-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Genre*.

I think the vocalist is the downfall of the group.

Jack of Arcades
03-02-2005, 10:52 PM
He's an acquired taste. Some people never acquire it, however.

lighterjobs
03-02-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They aren't paticularly great and are just part of some new mold. I really can't tell the difference between them or any other band of that genra (sp?).

[/ QUOTE ]

new mold? modest mouse have been around for years. i don't like their new album, but listen to "the moon and antarctica". great album, but is an acquired taste.

Matty
03-02-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's an acquired taste. Some people never acquire it, however.

[/ QUOTE ]And then some of us had it, but grew out of it in middle school.

Look, a deformed baby .. huh huh huh

Jack of Arcades
03-02-2005, 11:50 PM
If you're going to make ridiculous comments, please make sure you're attacking the correct poster.

Asufiji2004
03-03-2005, 12:23 AM
I think that because of Modest Mouse's mainstream success alot of their fans will write them off. There seems to be this elitest point of view when it comes to their bands. They don't like anyone listening to them and they certainly don't like them played on the RADIO. Coming from personal experience, I used to work with a guy 2 years ago that was a die hard Modest Mouse fan, they hate anything mainstream for the simple fact that it's mainstream. It was my understanding that bands such as Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, 764-Hero & Magic Magicians travelled & played shows together back in the day. I believe they even share common band memebers. Those others bands have yet to reach mainstream success, but Modest Mouse has, which is the reason I believe many people will say they suck. I think they are a decent band and their newest album if fairly good. I don't see the problem with "selling out", I thought that was the idea of being in a band was to be a rich & famous rock star.

nothumb
03-03-2005, 12:33 AM
I think they're okay, they have some songs I like. I don't own any of their albums though. I just can't listen to emo that much now that I have a job and a life.

NT

Matty
03-03-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to make ridiculous comments, please make sure you're attacking the correct poster.

[/ QUOTE ]We're not talking about istewart now? Modest Mouse is a person and not a band?

Edit: Okay, I missed one of istewart's posts, but my comments weren't ridiculous.

Jack of Arcades
03-03-2005, 12:45 AM
Uh, Stewart's made it clear he doesn't like the band.

Would you please stop following me around and making ridiculous attacks everytime I post? My nuts are getting tired of you constantly hanging on them.

DemonDeac
03-03-2005, 12:50 AM
modest mouse sucks

Matty
03-03-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Uh, Stewart's made it clear he doesn't like the band.

Would you please stop following me around and making ridiculous attacks everytime I post? My nuts are getting tired of you constantly hanging on them.

[/ QUOTE ]You may not have read the thread, but before you posted in it, people (myself included) were talking about istewart. Then you came in and said "he's an acquired taste". I assumed you were talking about istewart because I missed his post where he was talking about the lead singer of Modest Mouse.

Soul Daddy
03-03-2005, 12:57 AM
I think they're a very good band. But as someone posted, it's all about the vocalist. Either you like him or you don't.

Lonesome Crowded West and Interstate 8 are amazing albums. Most I run across have heard "Good News..." and have formed their impressions based solely on that. However, it's not very representative of their body of work. Much more refined and accessible.

Jack of Arcades
03-03-2005, 01:10 AM
OK. I was talking about the lead singer of Modest Mouse, which would be apparent if you could read.

3rdEye
03-03-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...is quite annoying and I cannot listen to their music. Anyone in this boat? I have yet to meet a person that doesn't like them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like them at first, but only because I assumed they were another obscure band that my brother liked only because they were obscure. After listening to them for a while, I like them quite a bit.

InchoateHand
03-03-2005, 02:51 AM
I'm completely with you. One of my most psychotic exes (c~2000) was very much into them. I have rightly hated them since then.