PDA

View Full Version : should I have stayed in?

djr
03-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Omaha/8 (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

I debated reraising here, but opted not to. Had the 8c been a 4,5, or J+ I probably would have.

Flop: (6 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

I don't really like this flop, but I hit enough I wanted to see a turn. Bad idea? I'm pretty sure Button missed his hand and is now pushing two pair (aces/deuces), or trips.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

I pick up a open-ended straight (granted only one way gives me the nut high). BB check-raise makes me think he has the 34 for the nut low. I call again.

River: (10.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

This is probably the best river card I could hope for. If I'm right, BB just got counterfieted and I'll probably take the low. I have a moderate flush which I'm thinking will probably win me the hi, given the assumption I have on the other two's hands. Should I have raised? I figured if BB really was counterfieted he might call a single bet to see if he still wins the low, If he actually had a 345 or some such he'll raise, but otherwise he'll fold to my raise and I'll only get Button to call. Either way I win the same amount if I scoop, but I'll lose extra by raising if I get beat.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

In these 6max games I'm always debating when I should stay in on the flop. I'm more comfortable with my ability to play the turn/river properly. Should I be staying in with a weak, bi-directional hand to see what happens on the turn?

Moneyline
03-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Preflop: I like the call. The suited A3 feature is nice, but the 6 and 8 aren't worth much so I think a call is in order.

Flop: On this flop I'm looking to drive people out. Your flush draw is vulnerable to bigger draws so you want to knock them out. By playing aggressively you may be able to get the whole pot either now or on the turn. I think betting is a better option than check/raising, because I think the button is unlikely to drop to a check/raise.

Turn: Again, I think you should play more aggressively. Even, if your low isn't best, you are silly with outs (a 4,5,T, or club will probably get you at least part of the pot. I'd want to play this aggressivley by either betting out or perhaps check/raising to increase my chances of winning the whole pot. Again, I think betting is better than check/raising in this spot.

River: Nice card, I would jam here. You are probably best at least one way, even though you're not quite sure which way that is. You may even be scooping. I would bet and raise here until it's capped... however, if I bet and it was raised and 3-bet behind I would probably just call instead of capping.

EDIT: [ QUOTE ]
In these 6max games I'm always debating when I should stay in on the flop. I'm more comfortable with my ability to play the turn/river properly. Should I be staying in with a weak, bi-directional hand to see what happens on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shorthanded I think you should be at least staying in with these sorts of holdings, and more often betting and raising. Having and drawing to the nuts is not the key to shorthanded 08 IMO, and I feel you have to take your chances with non-nut hands frequently. I especially like bi-directional hands because A) you have scoop potential, and B) even though you may not know if you are ahead one way, you will probably be ahead for at least one of the ways... and quite often both ways.

Beavis68
03-03-2005, 01:22 AM
I am fighting with this same thing on party, I am running well, but I feel I am leaving money on the table folding in these spots.