PDA

View Full Version : Out of my comfort zone

Warren Whitmore
03-02-2005, 06:39 PM
I am off to Vienna in one week to play at a no limit European poker tourneyment. The good news is it looks to be a lot of fun. The bad news is I don't play tourneyments and I dont play no limit.

So I dont know how to best prepare for this thing. Should I just play sklankys system, play the way I do in a limit ring game, or study up quick? Let me know you opinion.

thanks in advance

sexypanda
03-02-2005, 07:28 PM
I recommend buying Harrington on Hold'Em as soon as you can. It's improved my game a ton!

popniklas
03-02-2005, 08:30 PM
i think it would be interesting to try sklansky's system (the improved version). i voted for that. i will try it myself in some small tournament.

however, it's not a bad idea to study some literature on NL tourney play, talk to people who are good at that etc, whether you decide to go for the system or not.

Warren Whitmore
03-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Will do thanks.

Warren Whitmore
03-02-2005, 10:49 PM
I have to plead ignorant here. What is the improved version?

Reef
03-03-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to plead ignorant here. What is the improved version?

[/ QUOTE ]

not simply just going all in based on your hand, but going in or not based on your hand/position/limpers/stack size

pokerstudAA
03-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Pick up Harrington and read it on the plane twice. Oh yeah, play tight.

Al Schoonmaker
03-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Warren,

You are among the most disciplined people I know. You plan everything carefully and make your decisions on solid data.

It seems totally out of character for you to make such an extreme change.

I hope it is not a BIG no limit tournament.

Good luck,

Al

jimymat
03-04-2005, 04:47 AM
Sklanskys tournaments for Advance Players if you dont have much time

Duke
03-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Bump Grisgra's post off the front page.

~D

Warren Whitmore
03-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks you Al, I appreciate that. It is a big no limit tourneyment. What happened was this. I was playing in a $100 buy in limit tourneyment which I felt quite comfortable in. I won first prize $2500. Immediatly following was this satalite tourneyment with 600 people in it for a buy in of $11 and the top 6 players going to play in Vienna ($4000). I miss read this to be a limit tourneyment so I played.

Unfortuanatly it turned out to be a NL tourneyment. I came in first place. Now comes the tricky bit. I dont play no limit. On the brighter side the worst case scenario is a payed vacation in Austia. The money in this case (very unusual for me) is not the issue. There are going to be TV crews and live European publicity and such things. I just dont want to look too foolish.

Warren Whitmore
03-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Will do. Chesspain was nice enough to lend me a copy yesterday.

Warren Whitmore
03-05-2005, 09:02 AM
This one I have read and found the gap concept to be of particular benifit in regular limit play. I will be sure to give it another read.

Al Schoonmaker
03-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Warren,

You're among the most thorough people I know. There is no reason to have any fear of making a fool of yourself.

Only someone like you could say "I don't play no limit" after winning an NL tournament.

I'm looking forward to seeing you on TV.

Kick some ass and have some fun.

Regards,

Al

Goodnews
03-06-2005, 02:26 AM
2+2 represent!

Peter Harris
03-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Check party etc out, NL tourneys all the time. Either buy a copy of tourney poker (sklansky) or hire a tutor to explain it well.

Tourneys are VERY different. the payoffs are MUCH GREATER if you make it far. It is WORTH learning, for the future as well as next week.

You owe it to us and poker as a 2+2er to learn up and whoop us europeans with superb tournament play.

Regards,
Pete Harris

EDIT: i just read your replies to Dr. Al. If you can win a NL tourney without knowing how to play you're fine! get someone to run you by the theoretical concepts of NL tourneys and you should hold your own, no doubt you will looked polished and interesting on TV. Tell us who you are!