PDA

View Full Version : "Rules of the Road" TV commercial for Marriott

MicroBob
03-02-2005, 03:32 PM
At least I think it's for Marriott hotels.

I can't get away from this stupid commerical of the old guy and the young guy traveling around on some sort of business excursion.

"I think I'll try the special"
"Don't try the special"
"I'll have the special."

next shot is the young guy looking rather ill as he stumbles out of the men's room at a gas-station.

old guy "don't turn left"
young guy looks at him with knowing, rebellious grin and turns left....and then has to make a U-Turn.

They end at the mariott hotel swimming pool and the old-guy gets him back (in a way) by saying "i think I'll try a cannon-ball" and the young guy says "don't try a canno...." just as he gets splashed.

The first 3 things about this commercial that bug me...

1. The kid turning left when the old-guy/boss tells him not too. I guess the old guy might not be his boss.....but it sure seems that way in the commercial. That kid is a prick and is asking to be fired.

2. "Don't do a canno...." Splash!!
Ummmm...he steps FORWARD into the splash as he says not to do one. If some old guy told me he was going to do a cannonball I don't think I'd be stepping right up to the edge of the pool so that I would get as much water on my suit as possible. I would probably be stepping back.

3. The song sucks

I know...it's only a commercial...who cares.
But after seeing this commercial about 173 times in the last 2 days I just had to vent.

(I'm also getting REALLY tired of the SportsCenter Pujols spelling-bee spot...it was kinda funny the first 74 times...but has kinda worn-off since then).

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
The old guy is his guardian angel and/or him 30 years later (and thus more knowledgeable about the ways of the world) guiding him through life.

IronDragon1
03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I personally would've found the commercial more enjoyable if the young dude had veered into oncoming traffic when he turned left.