PDA

View Full Version : Bad call here?

hurlyburly
03-02-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm in the SB, last SB I caught AA and when the button raised I re-raised him and he folded. I had no real notion what he had, as he has been showing a lot of aggression on the button.

I checked to see what he thought of the flop. His push screamed weakness, so I called instantly. Pretty standard or weak call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t10515)
Hero (t4765)
BB (t3028)
UTG (t5850)
UTG+1 (t15775)
MP1 (t7620)
MP2 (t13100)
MP3 (t1558)
CO (t2965)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1000</font>, Hero calls t900, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t2100) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t9490 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t3740 (All-In).

Turn: (t15330) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t15330) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t15330

schwza
03-02-2005, 03:41 PM
i don't like the pf call. if you're convinced he's aggro and you want to play against him, push. he may call with a KT type hand (esp after you restole from him last hand), so you're not neccessarily way behind if you get called.

i would push the flop, but once you've checked i think it's ok to call.

EverettKings
03-02-2005, 03:57 PM
I push or fold preflop. Given that you called, I push or check/fold the flop, leaning toward push.

If your read is correct and he is overly aggressive, then a reraise will likely fold him preflop (like last time). Taking a flop just gives you more ways to lose the pot. I don't even like a stop-and-go here, as that works best when a preflop raise won't fold them but a bad flop will. Here, a preflop raise will often do the trick.

Given that you saw the flop, check/calling is the worst of options in my opinion. Your hand is weak. Even if his bet screamed weakness (and it doesn't necessarily mean weakness here, it could be a hand needing protection like KT), you have nothing but overs and a second nut flush draw. With a medium pair that play is better, but here your hand is far from made.

A push will get him off of his hand a lot of the time, but a check/fold isn't much worse. I doubt he calls your push without at least a decent pair or the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Most of the time he won't like it and mucks.

Just my 2 cents

-Kings

ansky451
03-02-2005, 04:01 PM
I dislike calling 1/4th of your stack preflop out of position with a crappy hand like kq off. given that you called it however, when you see a flop like that, i think a push is in order.

billyjex
03-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Given your description, I would push here. You still have some folding equity and your hand is probably better than his range of hands he's raising.

I think a case can be made for folding PF also.

Given how you played, you gotta push the flop.

hurlyburly
03-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Bingo! I intentionally took the worst option with 3 things in mind:
Preflop it folded to the button, so I was counting my single pair outs as mostly live.
He was steaming because his last steal failed, so I had him on an overbet, but didn't want to make it into a race with a marginal hand by pushing PF.
I decided to push on the flop and changed my mind, thinking that maybe he'd push for me, guaranteeing maximum value on the hand if it came. If he doesn't push, I get a free card, which is more beneficial to me than it is to him.

Is trying for a free card with a draw even a part of anyone's gameplan anymore?

MLG
03-02-2005, 05:23 PM
In these situations the money in the pot is much more valuable to you than a free card would be. Push and hope he folds a hand like Ace high.