PDA

View Full Version : Folding AQ off to an UTG raise..saved me money and anguish

Mike Gallo
09-17-2002, 01:54 PM
I had the following hand Sunday at a $10-$20 game at the Taj in Atlantic City.

A solid player raised UTG. I was next to act with AQ off, and I folded. I considered reraising however the table was full and I had people to act behind me. Mid position player reraised and they saw the flop head to head for three bets each.

Flop Q 7 2 raindbow

UTG bets, mid postion calls.

Turn Q 7 2 A completes raindbow. UTG checks, mid position bets, UTG raises, mid postion calls. I feel horrible because I believe in my mind I folded the winner and I made a bad fold preflop.

River Q 7 2 A 6

UTG bets, mid position calls. UTG shows down QQ for a flopped set of Queens. I felt much better that I folded after I got to see the hand. Mid position had AK.

The AQ controversy...continues I just feel glad I folded. I would have lost a bundle /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Ginogino
09-17-2002, 06:04 PM
Good fold, I think. Wish I could do it.

Noo Yawk
09-17-2002, 06:41 PM
There should be no controversy. You made a great fold.
"solid player raises UTG"....You have AQo, as pretty as they look, they gotta go.

Dynasty
09-17-2002, 06:50 PM
Why are the results of the hand relevent?

Mike Gallo
09-17-2002, 07:25 PM
Dynasty,

Why are the results of the hand relevent?

I guess they arent, however I dont think I would have layed that hand down preflop it wasnt for this forum. I would have played the hand fast as lightning and gotten punished along the way.

I thought I made a bad fold before I saw the showdown. I felt very results oriented.

Once I saw the shown hands, I realized how AQ can become a costly second best hand. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

betw2outs
09-17-2002, 10:12 PM
Perhaps Michael was being results oriented because it was an "in the face" example of the dangers of playing AQ against a strong UTG raise.

I know I'm just a newbie, but when I see a hand play out that illustrates something that I have read, it reinforces it.

Just a thought.

HDPM
09-17-2002, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I kinda did the same thing watching my wife play, but it was sort of in reverse. Watching her play free money online, if she asked how to play something marginal we'd talk about it. If the decision was to fold, we'd say what a great decision it was if the flop missed or turn missed or whatever. This was so obviously silly it overcame the natural tendency to be results oriented.

09-19-2002, 09:42 AM
"I feel horrible because I believe in my mind I folded the winner and I made a bad fold preflop."

"Folding a winner" is not the same as making a bad fold pre-flop.

lars