PDA

View Full Version : Moving to India

granny50
03-02-2005, 02:43 PM
I am thinking of moving to India and playing poker for a living there. I am originally Indian, but have never lived in India (only been there on vacations). I love the place and the FOOD and the people are alright, so I was thinking of moving there. Making $2000 a month playing is not very hard and $2000 a month in India would go pretty far. I am not planning on getting married or anything else. So I believe I should be doing pretty well for a single guy in India where $1 = 40 rupees.

Any suggestions/comments?

ChoicestHops
03-02-2005, 02:56 PM
What about American taxes?

skp
03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
To each his own I guess but I am Indian (lived there till age 10) and have been back numerous times to visit relatives.

It's a great place to visit and I am proud of my Indian heritage but truth be told, there is litle chance that I could enjoy living there after having lived in Canada for so many years. The crowds, pollution etc. is maddening.

Which part of India are you looking to settle down in?

BTW, you can't play at Party (or any of its skins) from a computer in India. I found that out much to my chagrin when I was there in December '04. You can play at Pokerstars however.

Hope you like Bollywood flicks and cricket - two things that I do like quite a lot. If you don't, you are not going to have much to talk about with your new neighbours...heh

Good luck.

granny50
03-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Im Indian too. I'm thinking of moving to either Delhi or Bombay. I've been to Madras, but I don't really like the south, even though I'm from Kerala. I am still an Indian citizen, so American taxes wouldn't really come into play.

Ulysses
03-02-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im Indian too. I'm thinking of moving to either Delhi or Bombay. I've been to Madras, but I don't really like the south, even though I'm from Kerala. I am still an Indian citizen, so American taxes wouldn't really come into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

When's the last time you were in Delhi? The air quality in the city is nearly unbearable.

granny50
03-03-2005, 12:11 AM
I haven't been to Delhi, however it is one of the more modern cities, maybe I could move to Bangalore. I hear it's great down there.

pokerraja
03-03-2005, 12:25 AM
My parents are from india. I have been there to visit on numerous occasions. Like has been said, you cant play at party or any of its skins from India.

I'm curious to hear what is your reasoning for moving to a 3rd world country? India, is great place to visit, but to live, I think I would fold. Lets see: overpopulation, pollution, poverty, corruption, and this is just to name a few. I have spent months at a time in Bombay, in the "bollywood" district, and each time, I can't wait to get home. But to each his own.

chunk
03-03-2005, 02:52 AM
They have the plague Jerry, the plague.