PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been on TV?

Zoltri
03-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Post your experience here.

Shajen
03-02-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just local lame news sports stuff back in high school.

You?

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
03-02-2005, 01:43 PM
I was in 1 commercial, on the news briefly once and in 2 movies (but you can only kinda see a blurry me in one of them).

AngryCola
03-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Yep.

I was interviewed by the local news last year about high gas prices.

How exciting!

AngryCola
03-02-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 movies (but you can only kinda see a blurry me in one of them).

[/ QUOTE ]

Extra?

Which movies?

peachy
03-02-2005, 01:45 PM
was in a commercial when i was a kid...and was on MTV for a sec when they covered RockFest here one year

Edge34
03-02-2005, 01:46 PM
I have - a few times, none major.

My first time on TV was when I was like 6 or so, living out in Vancouver, Washington. I still to this day have no idea how I got on the show, but it was called something like "Kids on Cable", some low-budget crap where me and my brother got to be on TV getting some story read to us. The best excuse I heard for us being on it is because we looked almost exactly the same back then, what with our curly blond semi-fros, and we were relatively smart. How much I buy into that, I don't know, but my parents have the tape of that show to this day and its *moderately* embarassing...

In high school, I've been on TV a few times for football games. Once again, local cable ran all our home games and some of our road games, so that was pretty cool.

Now I'm going into radio/TV broadcasting in college, so I have a feeling I'll be there a few more times before the end of the road. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
03-02-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Extra?

Which movies?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, an extra. Mr. Holland's opus (that movie sucks!) and the temp. You can see me in the temp, but you wouldnt know it unless i told you. And i was only 10.

istewart
03-02-2005, 01:50 PM
When I was like 10 I went sledding on Christmas in Maine and got on the local news with my new sled. Pwn.

Lazymeatball
One time I got dragged into answering the phones during pledge drive on WGBH (our local PBS). Over all it sucked and their buffet was lackluster. One old lady called up and asked me if Adrea Bocelli was blind, I asked the person next to me and they said yes.

IndieMatty
Yes, when we threw the dildo on the court (my "pooh bah" post) I was on ESPN2 holding a big glossy poster of Matt Damon.

Sponger15SB
03-02-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was bodyboarding one day and they were doing a story on beach erosion for channel 10 news. They show my friend riding a wave and I'm in the background sitting on my board.

No autographs please.

jakethebake
03-02-2005, 01:54 PM
I was on AFRT when I was in the Marines. And I've been on CNBC a few times.

Gamblor
03-02-2005, 01:56 PM
In the fantastically successful The Skulls 2, at some point the star is watching the Yale lacrosse team practice. Naturally, seeing as the movie was filmed at the University of Toronto, they paid everyone on the Varsity Lacrosse team $150 to run for 3 straight hours.

We signed a couple forms, got into equipment, got little blue "Y"s to put on the sides of our helmets, and just ran the same 2 plays over and over.

The buffet was awesome, more food than I'd ever seen in my life.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I have a side career as an underwear model. I works out well with my no pants policy.

Duke
03-02-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was interviewed by the local news last year about high gas prices.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was you????

~D

B Dids
03-02-2005, 02:10 PM
I did the intro for some local sports thing when I played on the world's worst pep band in high school. (we were mostly Jazz band kids forced to do football games in the freezing cold, we always gave up about halfway through, mostly because by then the football team was up big- we didn't lose a game at home in the 4 years I played).

When my office building burned down, we were interview by TV news, but I told them I found out about the fire because I was watching another station, so they didn't use me.

James Boston
03-02-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm going into radio/TV broadcasting in college

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea.

James Boston
03-02-2005, 02:28 PM
a few times when TV was covering things radio stations I've worked for did. Also, one radio show I was on had a short lived TV version. Only the host of the radio show was on the TV show, but he once had everyone from the radio show come on with him.

stabn
03-02-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Extra?

Which movies?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, an extra. Mr. Holland's opus (that movie sucks!) and the temp. You can see me in the temp, but you wouldnt know it unless i told you. And i was only 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost everyone i grew up with was in mr hollands opus. I swear they got ever single wanna-be in the portland metro area as an extra in that movie.

Edge34
03-02-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Money? I can deal. I play poker. Small town starting jobs? That's cool, I'm originally from a small town (at least, it would be if it weren't for that damned Big Ten school 10 minutes from my home). Crap hours? I'm a night person.

I love sports and music, I needed to find some way to be involved in this, and I've always been into this whole thing. All goes to plan, I'm going to be a sportswriter/sports talk radio/TV host. Money isn't everything, ya know.

mmbt0ne
03-02-2005, 02:47 PM
I was on SportsCenter last year, right after teh GT/OSU and Duke/UConn games. We're over by the mall, and they're broadcasting and whatnot, and then there are a bunch of people around the camera guy, but no GT people. He looks out over the crowd, spots me and my friend since we're kinda tall, and the only people wearing gold and yells, "Georgia Tech! Get over here!" Next thing I know, we're in the front of the crowd, dead-center on camera during one of those pan out to commercial deals.

It was pretty cool, but they only showed it on the live taping, not the repeats, so only like 2 people I know saw it. Oh well.

MicroBob
03-02-2005, 03:05 PM
I was a sports broadcaster (mostly play-by-play) for several years. Mostly radio...but some limited TV.
It's fun...with crappy pay.

MHarris
03-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I was on this Nickelodeon game show "Finders Keepers" when I was in 7th grade.

I pwn.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
03-02-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Extra?

Which movies?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost everyone i grew up with was in mr hollands opus. I swear they got ever single wanna-be in the portland metro area as an extra in that movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, pretty much everyone was in that. Even our foreign exchange students girl friend had a speaking roll.

nolanfan34
03-02-2005, 03:23 PM
I used to be a TV reporter. Did the weather sometimes too.

I had sports highlights that I shot end up on Sportscenter (Casey Martin's first pro hole-in-one), and the Today Show (Chip Hanauer flipping his hydroplane).

MicroBob
03-02-2005, 03:23 PM
I didn't know that everyone was in that....
but I do agree it was the worst freakin movie EVER.

Dreyfus annoys the crap out of me (even though I have the same birthday as him....ohh by a few years of course).

Honestly...I can't even make it through that movie because it's so annoying and bad....and I refuse to entertain alternative opinions from anyone who actually claims to have liked that film.

Russ McGinley
03-02-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I pwn.

[/ QUOTE ]

GAH! I love that show! PUMPIN GAS BABY

nolanfan34
03-02-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

A blanket statement like that isn't right. It's certainly not for everyone, but if you're sadistic enough to "enjoy" the low pay, and crappy station politics, it can be OK.

Edge34
03-02-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

A blanket statement like that isn't right. It's certainly not for everyone, but if you're sadistic enough to "enjoy" the low pay, and crappy station politics, it can be OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

And as I said, I play poker a little too. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IsaacW
03-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Once, with my dad in his bait and tackle retail store during one of the Great Rotary Fishing Derbies in NH about 10 or 15 years back.

Dominic
03-02-2005, 03:31 PM
I won 4 grand a trip to Barbados on a game show.

Also, I was briefly seen in one of the 2004 WSOP episodes.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nolanfan34
03-02-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And as I said, I play poker a little too. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if I had known about poker back then, I might still be in TV.

stabn
03-02-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know that everyone was in that....
but I do agree it was the worst freakin movie EVER.

Dreyfus annoys the crap out of me (even though I have the same birthday as him....ohh by a few years of course).

Honestly...I can't even make it through that movie because it's so annoying and bad....and I refuse to entertain alternative opinions from anyone who actually claims to have liked that film.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't even the worst film made in the area though. Perfect Family was filmed in Camas in 1992 and may very well be the worst movie ever. It starred Bruce Boxleitner during his worst B movie days...

liquidboss
03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I was on the local news during the Seattle Marti Gras riots a few years back. They showed a video of some guy getting sucker punched by a huge black dude (reminds me of another recent OOT topic) then my wasted ass staggers by right in front of the camera. Doesn't make me very famous but it made my friends laugh.

shant
03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I pwn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was on Wild and Crazy Kids when I was in the 6th grade. I still have the t-shirt with the 80's graffiti-style letters on it.

I pwn more.

jedi
03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
I've been on 4 game shows.

The Inquizition on the Game Show network back in '99. Won that one.

Win Ben Stein's Money in '02. Tied Ben Stein in the best of 10 test of knowledge.

In '04, I was on On the Cover (Pax TV), which I lost, but it came down to the last question.

I was also on ESPN's Trivial Pursuit and lost there when my teammate didn't trust one of my answers.

Oski
03-02-2005, 04:06 PM
I was on an ABC show called FBI's most wanted. I think it was in 1991. My family knew a guy named Edward Marks. Marks put rat poison in Smith/Kline/Beckman products as a stock scam in the 1980's. (He bought a number of "put" options, which means he essentially was betting the stock would fall within a short amount of time).

The FBI stayed in my home for one week as Marks was being apprehended. (Marks used our home as a mailing address because he was always moving ... I guess that was weird, but we didn't think anything was amiss.) I was 16 at the time. I fielded a few phone calls from Marks and helped the FBI sting him at the airport as well as find and identify his aliases and residences. The arrest was on Headline News and CNN (and, of course all of the local news channels).

I was interviewed as part of the show, they hired an actor to play the rest of my role.

* As an interesting aside:
1. The uncle of the best man at my wedding (a Merril Lynch stockbroker) identified Marks because of the strange option buys. This man lived in San Francisco, I lived in L.A. This guy got $250,000 for his involvment in the capture. The best man and I went to the same high school. I did not meet him until 6 months after the arrest, and until three-years' later, we did not each others' connection to this story. (He did not know I had anything to do with this until the show aired).
2. The lead FBI agent, Jack Orswell, lived in my neighborhood. My father was a general contractor who did home remodeling. For the month leading up to this event, my father was working on a bid to remodel Orswell's house.
Well, Marks was identified, and his address was the same as mine. My father was on his way to work one morning and he was pulled over by Orswell and 3 other FBI cars. My father (knowing he did nothing wrong) asked him if it had to do with the price of the bid.

Sponger15SB
03-02-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, Marks was identified, and his address was the same as mine. My father was on his way to work one morning and he was pulled over by Orswell and 3 other FBI cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my old high school english teacher was awoken one night by FBI breaking down his door thinking that he was some murderer because a guy used his name as an alias... Michael Mongomery (doesn't that just sound fake?). Anyways, they figured it out pretty quickly that they had the wrong guy, however they had to take him in for some reason *just to make sure* and they released him in like 10 hours. Anyways try explaining to your boss that you missed work the next day because you were wanted for murder.

charlie_t_jr
03-02-2005, 05:55 PM
I think James was refering to the "going to college" for radio/tv as a bad idea, which I tend to agree. Not the going to college, but the radio/tv degree.

Get the degree in broadcast journalism, journalism, business/marketing, and take some broadcast classes. If possible, find a small market station to work PT while you go to school. Experience will take you a long way over a radio/tv grad with no experience, especially in radio.

By the way James just recently graduated with a radio/tv degree /images/graemlins/wink.gif

nolanfan34
03-02-2005, 05:59 PM
I still disagree. There are far too many factors here. That advice might be good for some parts of the country, and some schools, but it's not the same everywhere.

And yes, I'm basing my opinion on my region of the country, so I'm possibly wrong as well.

MicroBob
03-02-2005, 06:07 PM
some mass communications programs are good...others are not so good.

If you are interested in pursuing radio/TV as a career than I recommend going into one of the good programs.

If it's not working out for you then you can always change majors....or you can go to grad-school in a different field of your choosing. Whatever.

If you feel an attraction towards TV/radio then I find no reason why you shouldn't be majoring in it. Follow your instincts and your passions. Don't go into accounting just to be 'safe'.

And...as has already been mentioned....for the time-being at least poker provides a reasonable solution to that whole 'it doesn't pay crap' issue.
Of course, I did it long before I ever considered that poker was going to be a factor.

Edge34
03-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Microbob,

I go to St. Cloud State University, which is probably the best school in the state of Minnesota for Mass Communications (including the U, but close). My degree will actually be in "Broadcasting - Radio Emphasis" or something, is what my advisor told me. I'm also taking courses in TV so that I can put that on my resume too.

I could never do the whole "accounting/business" thing, its just not for me. At least a background in broadcasting will allow me to get closer to my two passions - sports and music (neither of which I'm likely good enough to perform in and get paid).

And hey, if I hate it, I'll just "go pro". Everybody's doing it, right? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

smiely
03-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Freshman year of high school: Columbus Day, 1996. I was in the Columbus Day parade in NYC, and one of the cameras swung directly down in my face while I was marching and playing my flute, so you could actually very clearly see it was me. In fact, my grandmother called my dad, freaking out, because she was watching it on TV, "Oh my goodness, I just saw Val on TV!" I didn't believe it until I watched the video my friend's mother had taped off the TV (I think it was on NBC?). But yeah. I did the parade for 3 years after that, but I was never seen as more than another marching drone after that... not even when I was in the front of the band, playing tuba.

Dynasty
03-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Pokerbabe can be seen in High Roller: The Stu Ungar Story. She's in the cheering crowd immediatley after Stuey wins his third WSOP.

I can be seen in the 3rd row seats at WrestleMania VIII.

MicroBob
03-02-2005, 06:30 PM
yes...I recognize the logo.

I broadcast a couple of Miami (Ohio) vs. St. Cloud St college hockey games in 2000 or 2001 or so up there.
not nearly as bad as the bus-ride we made from the Minneapolis airport all the way up to Bemidji St one year....but getting to St. Cloud is DEFINITELY a pain in the ass.

Series split I think (although miami might have swept it actually, not sure)...miami's Gregor Krajnc finished the Saturday night game with an overtime winner (5-4) completing a hat-trick.

we had a St. Cloud resident on our team named Jeremy Bautch (if i remember correctly). He's probably about 27 or 28 now though.

didn't look like a heckuva lot going on it that town from what I saw. But the hockey following is pretty solid.

I thought the student TV broadcast was pretty decent (it was on tape-delay that evening).
Fairly modern graphics. Pretty good on the replays and direction. etc.

I seem to recall there was a lot going on in student-radio up there as well.
Go Huskies.

IMO...sometimes the schools that have a good rep for radio-TV are hard to break into because there are SO MANY people in it.

At Miami I was the only one who gave a damn about doing sports on student-radio...so I pretty much got to do EVERYTHING I wanted to for a couple years.
Asked if I could do the hockey games on student-radio and they said "ummm sure. whatever kid. knock yourself out."

Then Chris Rose (of Best Damn Sports Show) came in and actually organized it a little bit and more people got to do more games...but I was still able to tape myself doing as many hockey, baseball, basketball games (whatever) as I wanted to pretty much (along with Chris Kerber who is PBP for the St. Louis Blues now...and John Walton who is with the Hershey Bears of the AHL).

The classes there were mostly decent (with some real terrible ones mixed in)...and the NPR affiliate there had lots of opportunities for hands-on experience too and I practically lived there as a news/sports anchor/reporter and chief board-op, etc etc.

But the student-TV and student-radio was pretty bad in many respects...which I thought was actually a GOOD thing compared to a program like Ohio University where about a zillion students want to call games...so everyone pretty much gets to take their turn on 2 or 3 a year and that's it.

Obviously Syracuse is known for having a good program too and they don't seem to have a problem producing some terrific talent.....so it clearly isn't a requirement that you have to be in there on your own to gain experience calling games.

There's good and bad to be had in the various programs.
I looked at the positive side of Miami's ignored student-radio and TV...but there were definitely aspects of a St. Cloud type of program that was more organized that I would have benefitted from as well.

At the time I didn't really care...I grew up at Miami, Ohio and didn't bother applying anywhere else because I really didn't care.
when I showed up I could have thrown a dart at a wall to decide on my major....although I obviously got into radio quite a bit once I got started.

charlie_t_jr
03-02-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still disagree. There are far too many factors here. That advice might be good for some parts of the country, and some schools, but it's not the same everywhere.

And yes, I'm basing my opinion on my region of the country, so I'm possibly wrong as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. What is it you disagree with? The advice to pursue another degree?

Actually I wish I had finished and got the degree. I dropped out and went to a broadcast school in St. Louis, which was right for me at the time. Years later now, I wish I had got the degree in radio/tv. Better yet though, I wish I had got another degree and just worked at a radio station.

All my experience is in radio, so I can't speak for TV. But seriously, if you go to school for 4+ years and get a degree in anything, and work pt at a radio station while going to school, you'll be light years ahead of anyone coming out of college, broadcast shcools, etc, as far as on air/running a control board.

If you're interested in sports, news...I say get a degree in journalism, take a few broadcast classes and work pt at a station.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from radio/tv, its a great job. If you're good and get the right opportunity, you can make a great living....but most of it is low pay, so you have to love it to stay in it.

I've always had to do extra/side jobs to supplement my income, and I've been doing it a long time, but I do it because I love radio...and poker is coming in handy /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nolanfan34
03-02-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is it you disagree with? The advice to pursue another degree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, pretty much. I don't think getting a business degree and taking a few broadcast classes is sufficient necessarily. IMO at least.

The rest of your latest post is good, so is MicroBob's. The degree helps, but your hands on experience in college is really what you make of it.

FWIW, I went to Washington State, which is known for its Com school. So regionally, in the west, if you're getting into radio or TV, having a degree from there is looked at as a positive generally.

James Boston
03-02-2005, 06:53 PM
I was refering to the "going to college part." Even though I made a blanket statement without any backup, I'm certainly qualified to back it up. I've been in radio for 6 years. I spent 6 years in college, mostly drinking and skipping class, but also majoring in radio. These were the same 6 years, so I never got a job with the degree, and most people asked why I was bothering with it. Talent is what matters in this business. I'm not saying that no door will ever be opened because you have a college degree. However, there are too many people who have done well in broadcasting, who are now in management, who learned the buisiness without college. They've also seen plenty of people with the degree, but without the talent. And, people with the talent, but without the degree. It's just not that important of a thing to break into this business. I think going to college is great. I think broadcasting is great, and not as hard to make money in as people are saying. Just don't major in "being on TV." You can do that without college. Do something else in college and work in broadcasting, like Charlie T said.

charlie_t_jr
03-02-2005, 07:14 PM
So much has changed in the industry since I started, I sometimes feel like a dinosaur at 37yrs of age. I'm sure there are some great schools, with great programs out there. I'm sure finding a good one would be the key, but I can understand James_Boston's comment.

Some of my experience with some of the grads from the school he finished at, has been less than desirable. Matter of fact, when I was managing an on air staff, I had more luck with high school grads with little experience and a lot of enthusiasm, than some of the grads that came to work for us.

But James is way ahead of the game. He's worked in radio while going to school. And he's good at what he does.

I guess the best and worst advice I ever got was from the Professor/Head of Radio/Tv at Southeast MO St. He asked the class who was interested in TV, and then explained a few of the opportunities in the field. He then asked who wants to go into radio. He then was very blunt and honest. He told us we would go to school for 4+ years, get our degree, and then get an entry level job for minimum wage....yikes!

That pretty much made my mind up to drop out. I left at the end of that semester and went to the Broadcast Center in St. Louis. It was a great school, learned a bunch. The best thing was most of the "instuctors" were actual working broadcast professionals in the St. Louis market. Somebody you could hear on radio, or see on TV everyday.

Anyway, the advantage at the time is it only took me about a year to complete, so I could go to work, and I felt like I was ahead of my contemporaries as far as experience was concerned.

But I've always regretted not getting a degree....oh, and I've been on TV too...that was the genesis of this thread right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tolbiny
03-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I was allegedly on the local news for some work i did through Americorps one year. I was interviewed at a playground doing some clean up work, but no one i know watches the 8 am news, and i wasn't home to check it out, so i don't actually know if they aired it or not.

James Boston
03-02-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best thing was most of the "instuctors" were actual working broadcast professionals

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so under-valued by most colleges. Broadcasting is not an academic thing. Writing an essay on Marconi is not going to make you a better broadcaster. I actually did pretty poorly in many classes because I could do the stuff that you really do in the professional world, but wouldn't do the tedious assignments that were there so people who couldn't handle the actual broadcasting could still pass the class. If you must go to school for this, do some research and find a school that will prepare you for a real radio/TV station.

[ QUOTE ]
oh, and I've been on TV too

[/ QUOTE ]

getting arrested doesn't count /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zoltri
03-02-2005, 07:48 PM
I dont believe this guy went to broadcast school because they would have told him to wipe his nose before going on camera.

LINK (http://www.warfalcons.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?file=0157) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nolanfan34
03-02-2005, 08:15 PM
James and Charlie, I hear ya.

I think I'd sum up my thoughts like this though. Yes, you certainly can start working in radio right away, without a degree. And even a degree won't guarantee anything. I will say that in television, if you want to be on-air talent, you're probably going to need a degree. I can't think of anyone I was ever on the air with that didn't have a degree, it was pretty much a requirement. TV production, especially the entry level stuff, that isn't as important.

But I still think a degree is worthwhile for most people who want to go into the business simply because so many people end up getting OUT of the business later down the road. At that point, it's good to have a degree. And Communications is a decent one to have, because there are a lot of different fields you can go into (I work in media relations now).

I also agree 100% that schools that are only book/classroom based when it comes to media are not worth it. That's why WSU > UW here in Washington. WSU has hands on classes, and a student produced cable channel. UW is a classroom based broadcast degree (I don't even think they have the program anymore). When I started at my first news station, people were surprised that I knew how to shoot and edit already. They had recently had a couple of interns from UW, who had to be taught everything, because they never did it in school.

This has turned into quite the thread hijack! Anyway, to the OP who first mentioned this, your plan sounds good, and it sounds like you're going somewhere that you'll get hands on experience, and may be able to work in radio on the side as well.

Paluka
03-02-2005, 08:42 PM
I did Magic: the Gathering commentary on ESPN2 a couple times.

Homer
03-02-2005, 08:44 PM
- When I was about 8, my parents and I were at the Jersey Shore and a hurricane hit. My Dad and I walked to the beach and stood behind the weatherman and waved. Yeah, we were those dumbasses.

- When I was about 14, my Dad and I went to the U.S. Junior Amateur (golf). We were on Sportscenter for a good half a second.

- About 5 years ago, I was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. I sucked.

-- Homer

Paluka
03-02-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- About 5 years ago, I was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. I sucked.

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

This deserves its own thread. What question did you miss?

aflaba
03-02-2005, 09:06 PM
yes, and in the newspapers too.

b0000000000m
03-02-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm guessing he didn't even make it past "fastest fingers."

Homer
03-02-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I did. I got it in like 2.4 seconds too. The question I missed had to do with the location of the Tailhook scandal. The answer was Vegas. I've seen myself on GSN a few times, not a pretty sight.

ClaytonN
03-02-2005, 10:36 PM
How much did you win? $1,000?

Anyways, I've been on The Golf Channel once (standing right behind Arnie in his last Masters on the 8th hole practice round), and I've been on ESPN (UGA football game). Nuthin much.

billyjex
03-02-2005, 10:40 PM
I was on a TV commercial at a clothing store I used to work at. Modeled some Dickies.

They fired me and the commercial still airs to this day. I don't like that.

Bulldog
03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Several times as a high school basketball coach.

stabn
03-02-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I did. I got it in like 2.4 seconds too. The question I missed had to do with the location of the Tailhook scandal. The answer was Vegas. I've seen myself on GSN a few times, not a pretty sight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel too bad. I probably would have gone with something like AC. I didn't pay much attention to the tailhook details, and would have assumed it would be somewhere on the east coast.

HDPM
03-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Yeah that sucks. I got caught in some file footage at a crime scene once so whenever they talked about the deal for a while I was on there talking to some cops, back to camera, hands in pockets, fat ass in the middle of the shot. Wonderful.

P.S. No, you smart aleks, I wasn't the suspect.

Michael Davis
03-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Jeopardy!, twice, taped in January of 2000. I don't remember exactly when it aired.

-Michael

MicroBob
03-03-2005, 01:07 AM
homer - I think that rocks.

Even beats the fact that I once had my own TV show on a local low-power station "St Lucie Mets Weekly with Bob XXXXXXXX".

Actually...that seem year (1996) I had a roommate who had a videotape of himself on Wheel of Fortune teen-week. He was 15 or so and had a really gay looking clap when the wheel was spinning. He won and chose a VCR and other random electronics.

Thankfully, I don't think any episodes of my weekly St. Lucie Mets show survived. I got an extra $75/wk for that show. Woo-hoo!!!

The guy that said he was on Inquisition on GSN.
I really loved that show.

I've never been on a game-show and am really not that good at trivia...but I'm a HUGE fan of some of them and really would lose to give it a try sometime.

I was REALLY good at the 1980's game-show Scrabble with Chuck Wollery (which really isn't like the board-game).
come to think of it...I'm reasonable at Chuck's current game-show Lingo.

I suck at Jeopardy and actually don't do very well at Wheel of Fortune either (plus..it annoys me).

I called the Millionaire line a few times to try to get on but never qualified. My knowledge just isn't broad enough (in other words...I'm kinda dumb).

mmbt0ne
03-03-2005, 01:13 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hella weak dude. My 10th grade history teacher scored a mil on that show. It's not that hard. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nolanfan34
03-03-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jeopardy!, twice, taped in January of 2000. I don't remember exactly when it aired.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't surprise me at all. Very cool.

rusty JEDI
03-03-2005, 01:26 AM
When I was a kid I was a recurring character on Alf. I was a friend of Brians who would want to come to the house, but never could because Brian couldnt have friends over.

rJ

<font color="white"> Okay...So I made that up. It sounds cool though</font>

jojobinks
03-03-2005, 01:37 AM
i went to the final four in 1992 to see the hoosiers. in the espn 1992 final four highlight hour video, when things turn bad for IU in the second half, i'm the fan they cut to to indicate the feel of the hoosier crowd. sad...

crosse91
03-03-2005, 01:52 AM
sweet another lacrosse player-what position did you play?

Gamblor
03-03-2005, 02:20 AM
Box: Shooter
Field: Attack

U of T Varsity Blues 99-03

sin808
03-03-2005, 04:21 AM
been on local news for a segment on i-escrow services, and my ex-wife and I were on Geraldo.

spamuell
03-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Summer 2004, Big Brother's Little Brother, twice.

I had been watching like 8 hours of Big Brother live a day because I had "study leave" from school.

bicyclekick
03-03-2005, 03:11 PM
I played in the Little League World series when I was 12 and that was on ESPN. Also local TV interviews for that.

Short appearance in the audiance of wheel of fortune, too.