PDA

View Full Version : Terminology

tripemonkey
03-02-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm going through some of the posts here and am running into some abbreviations that I can't make out.

Can anyone tell me what position "CO" is, and what a "TAG" player is?

Also, is there any place here where these abbreviations are listed, or do you just pick them up contextually after awhile? Thanks.

AngryCola
03-02-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going through some of the posts here and am running into some abbreviations that I can't make out.

Can anyone tell me what position "CO" is, and what a "TAG" player is?

Also, is there any place here where these abbreviations are listed, or do you just pick them up contextually after awhile? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

CO = The Cutoff (one word or two people?) = Player one spot to the right of the button

TAG = Tight Agressive player

SheridanCat's Beginners FAQ (http://www.pokergeek.com/faq/beginners_faq.html)

I'm not sure if he's going to post that in a new thread or not. If not, he should tell us so we can bump it occasionally.

@bsolute_luck
03-02-2005, 01:47 PM
this is sorta a "terminology" question that i didn't find other posts.

i know SB/BB can stand for Small Blind/Big Blind, but it also can mean Small Bets and Big Bets. i don't get what each one is or how they figure in to the pot size.

when looking at people's hands from the converter, PRF is always SB even if raised and anything after PRF is BB is that right?

when betting on the flop, they are BB, but what happend to the SB- how to they become BB? this is really confusing to me trying to look at pot odds because i don't get how to calculate the pot size right. thanks for the help.

AngryCola
03-02-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is sorta a "terminology" question that i didn't find other posts.

i know SB/BB can stand for Small Blind/Big Blind, but it also can mean Small Bets and Big Bets. i don't get what each one is or how they figure in to the pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the small blind and big blind are just the forced bets to get the action going preflop.

The small bet is the same size as the big blind in limit poker.
Small bets are bets before the flop and on the flop.
Then the stakes double.
Big bets are on the turn and river.

So, in a .50/1 game, the small bet is .50 and the big bet is 1.00.

You can use small bets OR large bets in your pot odds calculations. In the aforementioned .50/1 game, a pot of $5 could be looked at as either 5 big bets or 10 small bets.
For an easy example, lets say you face a $1 bet in this game on the turn.

5 + 1 = 6

So the pot has $6 in it now, which equals 6 big bets.
You are being offered 6:1 odds on this call.

Now let's take that same example using small bets.
There are 10 small bets (.50) in the pot, plus the 2 small bets you must call (1/2 = .50).
So you are being offered 12:2 on your turn call, which reduces to 6:1. It's the same, but a different way of calculating the odds.

[ QUOTE ]
when looking at people's hands from the converter, PRF is always SB even if raised and anything after PRF is BB is that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, see above.

@bsolute_luck
03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
thnx cola. that was clearly explained well.

so no bets PRF or Flop are BB no matter how large? i'll use this hand for example:

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K, Q.
Hero raises, 3 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6, 2, T (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets, Hero calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 8 (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets, Hero folds, MP3 folds, SB calls.

River: (8 BB) 5 (2 players)
SB checks, BB checks.

i can't figure out how the BB are calculated. The Flop is 8SB, which i get from the PRF betting. but i can't figure out the Turn 6BB?

@bsolute_luck
03-02-2005, 02:44 PM
nevermind, i just got it /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

thnx for the help. i feel smarter already /images/graemlins/grin.gif

aargh57
03-02-2005, 02:45 PM
There are 8 SB on the flop or 4 BB (1BB=2SB). So now when the Big Blind bets and the small blind calls that adds 2 more Big Bets to the pot making a total of 6 Big Bets (4 BB on the flop + 2BB on the turn).

@bsolute_luck
03-02-2005, 02:50 PM
i have another beginner "terminology" question (2 actually):

i hear people talking about "go for a free card" now i thought this would mean if it is checked to you, you'd check to get a free card, but when people say it, it is in the context of raising. i don't get it /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

the other is [ QUOTE ]
I would probably take one off for 1 sb

[/ QUOTE ] what does "take one off" mean?

aargh57
03-02-2005, 03:36 PM
To "go for a free card" is to bet or raise (usually in late position) in the hopes that it will be checked back to you on a later street so you can then check (if you don't improve).

Say you have J /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the button and the flop comes:

K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

One person bets and there is one caller to you. Now you should definitely call with your flush draw, right? Instead of calling , however, you raise the flop. Now if on the turn a card that doesn't help you hits and it is checked to you, you can take a "free" card. This card only cost you 1 SB (you're raise) instead of 1 BB on the turn if you were bet into. As Sklansky says this card isn't actually free, it's cheap.

As far as "taking one off for 1 sb" I'm not sure. I think it just means that you're willing to call one bet to see or "take" another card. I may very well be wrong on that one though.

UncleSalty
03-09-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

As far as "taking one off for 1 sb" I'm not sure. I think it just means that you're willing to call one bet to see or "take" another card. I may very well be wrong on that one though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on this one. Also known as "peel one off", or even "slide one off". Referring to taking one more card off the top of the deck before you decide how much you really like a marginal hand.

SheridanCat
03-09-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To "go for a free card" is to bet or raise (usually in late position) in the hopes that it will be checked back to you on a later street so you can then check (if you don't improve).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a quick followup on this. The reason this play works is that limpers will typically check to the raiser on subsequent rounds of betting.

Regards,

T

JMBills
03-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Sheridan's FAQ is something I'd hope the moderators consider making a sticky out of. It's a solid starting block for the jungle of these forums.

SheridanCat
03-09-2005, 04:31 PM
It's not going to happen, JM. Mason and some of us here had a good discussion on the topic and he has reasons for not wanting it to be stickied. As a businessman running a business, they make sense.

So, no sticky. I'll keep adding to the Questions and bumping it here occasionally.

Regards,

T