PDA

View Full Version : Denim

sfer
03-02-2005, 12:31 PM
For the first time in several years I bought jeans over the weekend. A couple of old pairs are falling apart so it was overdue. So I bought 3 pairs and they'll probably last for a long time. Levi's 550s, what I pretty much always get.

Several months ago I was pretty clueless as to the existence of other jeans in the world, let alone jeans that cost integer multiples more than what I paid for mine. So what's everyone wearing, jeans-wise?

IndieMatty
03-02-2005, 12:33 PM
pair of H&Ms, pair of Banana Republic Button Flys (my favorite--complete with a rip in the crotch), and I too just bought a new pair from the...gasp...Gap...some dark tapered leg number, I like them.

Shajen
03-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Most of my jeans are either Ralph Lauren or Tommy.

Not for any particular reason other than I was in an outlet mall and both of these companies have stores there.

They had really good deals. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-02-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't wear pants.

Shajen
03-02-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't wear pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on everybody! We're going streaking!

(sorry, it's the avatar)

Do you perhaps wear pantalones?

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-02-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't wear pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on everybody! We're going streaking!

(sorry, it's the avatar)

Do you perhaps wear pantalones?

[/ QUOTE ]
I work from home. Infer from that what you will.

Shajen
03-02-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I work from home. Infer from that what you will.

[/ QUOTE ]

What time does your husband get home?

/images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Man, I'm on a lameness roll today.

Edge34
03-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Most of my jeans are Levis, American Eagle, or Express. No particular reason for this really...

Express jeans run around 50-55 bucks, that's about as high as I'll go. I've seen all the Ralph Lauren, Tommy, Lucky - I always wonder what makes them worth 85-100 bucks, besides some guy's name on them...

astroglide
03-02-2005, 01:09 PM
i only wear calvin kleins. they fall apart quicker but i really like the feel of their paper-thin denim.

jakethebake
03-02-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't wear pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sign at Chipotle: No Pants? No Problem!

James Boston
03-02-2005, 01:25 PM
I too swore by Levis for a long time. A tried American Eagle and they didn't fit me right. Gap fits very well and doesn't cost too much, which is a must for jeans. If I'm going to drop cash on expensive pants, they have to be work slacks.

3rdEye
03-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Anyone who wears denim above the waist cannot be trusted.

CCass
03-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I was a Levi's only man for many years. However, the last two times I have bought jeans I got CRB's (Canyon River Blues). They are not expensive and fit well, so I have added them to the list of acceptable clothing.

jason_t
03-02-2005, 02:19 PM
I wear Express jeans which cost about $60. The girls that shop at Express are insanely hot.

turnipmonster
03-02-2005, 02:20 PM
I got two pairs of lucky jeans recently and think they're alright. in the past I rocked the levis or wranglers.

beerbandit
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
i havent bought jeans for a long ass time

off my head ----

jnco - these last forever
gap

cheers

istewart
If you're wearing Tommy Hilfiger you should be shot.

Edge34
[ QUOTE ]
I wear Express jeans which cost about $60. The girls that shop at Express are insanely hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so there is a more accurate reason why I shop there...same reason I shop at Hollister, actually, but I don't own any jeans from there.

turnipmonster
03-02-2005, 02:24 PM
ok I give up. why are you replying to my post?

Bluffoon
03-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Abercrombie and Fitch - My favorite by far. I have a couple of pair that are easy fifteen years old. I love these pants.

Old Navy - I like their black straight legs. Good prices and solid reliable pants.

jakethebake
03-02-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like their black straight legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who all here buys black jeans? I thought they went out in the 80's unless you're a bartender or wear them with your Iron Maiden concert shirts?

Shajen
03-02-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're wearing Tommy Hilfiger you should be shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? And you replied to the wrong guy.

mmbt0ne
03-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Banana Republic and Gap are the only two brands I have at the moment. When I was up in NY over the summer I went to the BR store there, and they were having a sale on jeans for $25, so I bought probably 3 or 4 pair. It was hella sweet.

BottlesOf
03-02-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Several months ago I was pretty clueless as to the existence of other jeans in the world, let alone jeans that cost integer multiples more than what I paid for mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

For someone who has custom made shoes, and purports to be knowledgeable about such things, this is pretty inexcusable.

B00T
03-02-2005, 02:54 PM
This thread will not be complete until GoT chimes in and mentions Nordstrom.

BottlesOf
03-02-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I got two pairs of lucky jeans recently and think they're alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, except one of them is a little short and I just realized /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sfer
03-02-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For someone who has custom made shoes, and purports to be knowledgeable about such things, this is pretty inexcusable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I know a lot about tailored clothing. I know nothing about tracksuits either and it makes sense.

nolanfan34
03-02-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I know a lot about tailored clothing. I know nothing about tracksuits either and it makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I have nice suits and stuff for work, but buy jeans at Old Navy.

razor
03-02-2005, 03:39 PM
DKNY, Levis, Old Navy

IronDragon1
03-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Paper Denim and Cloth, Lucky Brand and ratty ol' Express Jeans which suck ass.

It's all about the softer denim for me

BottlesOf
03-02-2005, 05:06 PM
"Tracksuits" are a very specific, non-standard piece of clothing. Jeans are not. THey are very common. Also, I'm not saying that you just buying cheaper jeans without thought is weird, but the fact that you didn't know that other pairs existed or weren't aware of expensive jeans or whatever is a little odd.

sfer
03-02-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm not saying that you just buying cheaper jeans without thought is weird, but the fact that you didn't know that other pairs existed or weren't aware of expensive jeans or whatever is a little odd.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not odd. You've seen how I dress. I don't go to stores where jeans cost more than $50.

jakethebake
03-02-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Tracksuits" are a very specific, non-standard piece of clothing. Jeans are not. THey are very common. Also, I'm not saying that you just buying cheaper jeans without thought is weird, but the fact that you didn't know that other pairs existed or weren't aware of expensive jeans or whatever is a little odd.

[/ QUOTE ]
Until the recent thread on the subject I wasnt aware of this either. Apparently there has been a vast conspiracy to keep a few of us ignorant to the massive, top-secret, underground sup-duper ridiculously-expensive jean industry.

citanul
03-02-2005, 05:24 PM
You're only saying that because the last time there was a discussion about jeans, it went much like this one until GoT started talking about Nordstroms, and everyone just went all crazy talking about their return policy.

citanul

BottlesOf
03-02-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't go to stores where jeans cost more than $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be surprised if this were 100% true. Esp. if you ever go into department stores.

B Dids
03-02-2005, 05:32 PM
When I was broke- I wore whatever cheap stuff I could get at Wal-Mart (A: Wal-Mart has clothes for fat people B: It was super close to my house C: It was hella chap).

Now I tend to go with whatever I buy online... my last stuff is all through jcpenny.com, but I couldn't tell you who it is.

My wardrobe is still in recovery from being poor and fat. It's a hard combination to have and not dress like a goon.

sexypanda
03-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I can't believe noone's mentioned Diesel yet, I think that's all I wear at this point. I figured it was pretty standard.

sfer
03-02-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would be surprised if this were 100% true. Esp. if you ever go into department stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been in a department store in 18 months, and the last time I was, I wasn't shopping for jeans or anywhere near jeans.

jason_t
03-02-2005, 05:35 PM
What is that avatar? Escstay trip? That was sthief09's old avatar before the bukkake cartoon.

astroglide
03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
i'm scared to order jeans online

JGalt
03-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Seven, Boss, Armani (one pair and they suck). Seven are the best jeans ever. I never bought a pair of triple digit jeans till about two years ago. There is a huge differance in quality over jeans like Levi's, Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and the likes. I will never go back, unless I go broke.

sfer
03-02-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never bought a pair of triple digit jeans till about two years ago. There is a huge differance in quality over jeans like Levi's, Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and the likes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious. Explain further please.

jakethebake
03-02-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never bought a pair of triple digit jeans till about two years ago. There is a huge differance in quality over jeans like Levi's, Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and the likes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a whole thread on this already like a month ago.

B Dids
03-02-2005, 05:57 PM
A- I'm not picky

B- I'm fat, so like I'm not getting a very tight fit and I wear my pants pretty baggy as it is.

C- I no longer have a car, so shopping online is a lot easier because while I live right next to all the stores in downtown seattle- and they're hard pressed to carry size even size 42 jeans anywhere. I went on a pretty long search one day, and left wanting to kill myself.

razor
03-02-2005, 06:07 PM
This thread from mid-January

High-end Jeans, etc. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1523160&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1)

BottlesOf
03-02-2005, 06:09 PM
I still find it surprising that you were oblivious to the existence of "designer jeans" if, that's in fact, what you're saying.

JGalt
03-02-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The old jeans I used to wear were rough and felt like cardboard when wearing them (even after wearing and wshing them countless times). The first pair of high end jeans I bought were Hugo Boss and the were just a great cut, fit great, and most of all felt so good when on. I'm not sure exactly of the process used to make the jeans, but I had a discussion with a friend in the fashion industry about jeans and she gave me the low-down on them.

I always said I would never spend $200+ on a pair of jeans, but now I would get nothing less as long as I can afford them.

mason55
03-02-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe noone's mentioned Diesel yet, I think that's all I wear at this point. I figured it was pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I thought like 50% of guy wore Diesel now /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Me, I wear 7, Paper Denim, Diesel, I have a pair of Ben Sherman, and a pair of CK but they suck. Never thought I'd spend more than $40 on jeans. Then I never thought I'd spend more than $120 on jeans. Now I don't think it's possible to spend more than I have on a couple of pairs. Luckily my sister is a fashion whore and convinced my parents to buy me a couple pairs last time my family was together.

mason55
03-02-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I always said I would never spend $200+ on a pair of jeans, but now I would get nothing less as long as I can afford them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Jeans are like anything else. Some people will never understand why you'd spend $X on cigars, scotch, a suit, whatever. But I find that 95% of people really can tell a difference between most expensive things and their cheaper counterparts. They just hate to admit it.

I'm going to drink some 15 year single malt and smoke an expensive cigar while I wear my $250 jeans, just beacuse I can /images/graemlins/cool.gif

sfer
03-02-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Amen. Jeans are like anything else. Some people will never understand why you'd spend $X on cigars, scotch, a suit, whatever. But I find that 95% of people really can tell a difference between most expensive things and their cheaper counterparts. They just hate to admit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are lots of things where spending more likely doesn't give you a better product. Magic markers come to mind.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-02-2005, 07:24 PM
I hereby nominate this thread for the title of worst thread to make 2 pages. I can't believe this is still going.

Oh, and when I have to wear pants, I wear exclusively Maurithé & François Girbaud.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-02-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about my last reply making the top of the 3rd page.

Evan
03-02-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I got two pairs of lucky jeans recently and think they're alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, except one of them is a little short and I just realized /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough* Gimme a call.

JGalt
03-02-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to drink some 15 year single malt and smoke an expensive cigar while I wear my $250 jeans, just beacuse I can /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.theyummyco.com/topten/drinking/malts/images/macallan.jpg

I'll join you on that one.

cnfuzzd
03-02-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A- I'm not picky

B- I'm fat, so like I'm not getting a very tight fit and I wear my pants pretty baggy as it is.

C- I no longer have a car, so shopping online is a lot easier because while I live right next to all the stores in downtown seattle- and they're hard pressed to carry size even size 42 jeans anywhere. I went on a pretty long search one day, and left wanting to kill myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey dids. I too am gifted with girth, where do you like to shop online. I have yet to check out kansas city's available B&T, but the stores where i used to live would have me looking like a giant church spokesmodel. Not what im after.

peace

john nickle

mason55
03-02-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There are lots of things where spending more likely doesn't give you a better product. Magic markers come to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, that extra $0.50 you spend gets you markers that smell good or write in funky shapes.

For an extra dollar you can get markers that are INVISIBLE until you use the visibilizer on them.

Try again?

cnfuzzd
03-02-2005, 07:54 PM
as strange as this sounds, i let my parents buy me jeans. I have 6 pairs. Every year, around christmas, i make sure and always wear the two oldest pairs whenever im at their house. They always complain, and get me two new pairs of christmas. Usually around febuary, the two oldest pairs get rotated out and reserved for laundery day, and the two new pairs get rotated in. Its quite a racket.

peace

john nickle

cnfuzzd
03-02-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, that extra $0.50 you spend gets you markers that smell good or write in funky shapes.

For an extra dollar you can get markers that are INVISIBLE until you use the visibilizer on them.

Try again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. So i was with you when the subject was scotch, or cigars. But jeans are jeans. Markers are markers. And rich arrogant snobs are rich arrogant snobs.

also

i have been online for quite a few years, and this discussion about the benefit of pricey jeans is quite possibly the lamest conversation ive ever heard. And i used to be an intense magic the gathering player. Not that its stopping me from taking part, of course.

peace

john nickle

[censored]
03-02-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some people will never understand why you'd spend $X on cigars, scotch, a suit, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or whores! Don't forget about the whores

tolbiny
03-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I used to do some costruction and my pants would get destroyed, and even after taking them out of the laudry it was impossible to tell clean from dirty just by looking at them. So i came up with a system- i bought a light, medium and dark pair, and all i had to do during the week was remeber which pair i wore the day before, and switch. (monday and friday were usually travel days).
i wore Lee jeans at that time as you can get them for 15$ a pair at Dillards when they have their sales.
My most recent puchase though were CRB- i like em, but i don't know which ones are dirty since they are all the same color.
Good thing i got fired.

Ulysses
03-02-2005, 08:42 PM
I buy expensive Scotch and suits. I wear Levi's 501 button-fly jeans.

Paluka
03-02-2005, 08:46 PM
I have some Gap jeans and some Mavis. I wanted to buy a pair of Levis Premium or something the other day but they were $138 and I couldn't pull the trigger.

shadow29
03-02-2005, 09:11 PM
I don't wear jeans.

Never liked the way they feel.

B00T
03-03-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're only saying that because the last time there was a discussion about jeans, it went much like this one until GoT started talking about Nordstroms, and everyone just went all crazy talking about their return policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, why the [censored] else would I of said it. Now go step on some sunglasses and bring them back.

thatpfunk
03-03-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I too am gifted with girth

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I'm rude by pulling this out, but with your drug experiences I always imagined you as the 145lbs tweaker type.

Weird man, weird.

thatpfunk
03-03-2005, 10:40 AM
As an adult how do you rip jeans? (this in reply to GoTs stuff)

I've had a couple of pairs of diesels and thought they were a little too heavy. I like my CKs, AFs, and assorted skater/surfer brand jeans.

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As an adult how do you rip jeans? (this in reply to GoTs stuff)

[/ QUOTE ]

An excellent question. As a kid I did it all the time on the playground. None of my jeans had knees in them. But as an adult....?

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The old jeans I used to wear were rough and felt like cardboard when wearing them (even after wearing and wshing them countless times).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like them that way. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

B Dids
03-03-2005, 11:49 AM
I went to jcpenny.com. They had good selection, decent prices, and good service.

astroglide
03-03-2005, 04:01 PM
i wear too few pairs of jeans but they all end up with holes in them: 1 on the left side of the zipper, 1 next to the top left side of the back right pocket. and i've ripped 2 pairs playing ping pong at work.

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i wear too few pairs of jeans but they all end up with holes in them: 1 on the left side of the zipper,

[/ QUOTE ]stop going around dry-humping the furniture.

[ QUOTE ]
1 next to the top left side of the back right pocket.

[/ QUOTE ] stop letting people dry hump you.

[ QUOTE ]
and i've ripped 2 pairs playing ping pong at work.

[/ QUOTE ]That ping pong is a rough sport.

Sponger15SB
03-03-2005, 04:12 PM
I have never owned a pair of jeans.

Ever.

Up until I started college I owned 1 pair normal (non-dress, snowboard, etc.) pants. Now I own three.

DavidC
03-03-2005, 04:16 PM
I dare you to post this in the small-stakes forum!

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ever.

Up until I started college I owned 1 pair normal (non-dress, snowboard, etc.) pants. Now I own three.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. What did you wear as a child? As a young adult? Now?

cnfuzzd
03-03-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. What did you wear as a child? As a young adult? Now?

[/ QUOTE ]

dresses and skirts....

peace

john nickle

Freakin
03-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Couple pairs of paper denim, sevens, AG, diesel... older pairs of Banana & jcrew that I don't usually wear anymore. THe diesel are my favorite.

B

jar
03-03-2005, 05:17 PM
I've worn $15 jeans from walmart forever. They're cheap, comfortable and durable. I can see going up to the $30 price range for Levis and similar, but beyond that seems completely ridiculous. Can someone explain to me just what makes these >$100 better?

thatpfunk
03-03-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i wear too few pairs of jeans but they all end up with holes in them: 1 on the left side of the zipper, 1 next to the top left side of the back right pocket. and i've ripped 2 pairs playing ping pong at work

[/ QUOTE ]

I had one pair of jeans in high school that I wore so much the back and zipper holes started, but that was because I worked in them and wore them almost everyday. I haven't had it happen since.

And if you're playing ping pong at so intensely, I believe the preferred nomenclature is "table tennis." /images/graemlins/tongue.gif