PDA

View Full Version : jj hand on "new" party nl tables

lucas9000
03-02-2005, 10:15 AM
comments appreciated on all aspects of the hand. i had no read on the villain /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($186.9)
MP ($93.4)
CO ($151.7)
Button ($102.8)
SB ($111.4)
Hero ($183.25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, UTG calls $3, CO calls $3.

Flop: ($12.50) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG folds, CO calls $8.

Turn: ($28.50) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $6</font>, Hero calls $6.

River: ($40.50) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $25</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $65.50

djoyce003
03-02-2005, 11:04 AM
I think your preflop raise was way too small. $1 blinds...there is already 3.50 in the pot including the blinds, and you only raise 3....everyone is going to call that. I like to play these faster than that. Since $3 or $4 is the standard preflop raise in these games, I think you have to bump it to at least $5 given that there are 2 limpers....$6 would also be reasonable. Now he is going to have to really like his hand to stay in, and will likely fold garbage....otherwise you are playing your jacks for set value and you should have just checked.

I think the hand plays differently had you done that, and then fired about a $12 or $15 bet out on the flop. He probably stuck around with a flush draw that hit on the turn. I think maybe you should have led out on that turn, he doesn't appear to love his hand either.

tbach24
03-02-2005, 11:17 AM
The only big mistake is pre-flop:
Either actually raise, or check. All you're doing is building a pot out of position with a tricky hand, you are not driving anyone out with that raise. A raise is probably preferable though.

schwza
03-02-2005, 11:23 AM
this is how i would have played it, except to make it 5 pre-flop.

lucas9000
03-02-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is how i would have played it, except to make it 5 pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

so the check-calling and then the river fold are okay?

sting
03-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Does anyone else think that Hero's line looks like he's playing a draw?

If villain is agressive at all, with this line, a steal river bet is automatic when no draw gets there

Edit. By draw - I mean one big club

schwza
03-02-2005, 11:39 AM
i think so.

when you get called on the flop, the most likely hands are a 7, an 8, or a flush draw (in that order, IMO). the club makes the flush, the 8's way ahead, and 67 also gets there on the turn. when you ckeck the turn, you're giving 9T or 7x a chance to move you off the best hand, but so be it. then when he underbets, it's worth a call b/c 7x might shut down. also you have a 2-outer to a big hand.

i like a check on the river instead of a blocking bet b/c i think you're very likely behind, but the one hand that you're ahead of (7x) will probably check behind and give you a free showdown anyway. so you'd just be throwing money at a better hand.

then when he bets 25 on the river, you've gotta dump it. very little that called your flop bet is making that bet while behind.

here are what i think are two interesting questions:

- what's the smallest bet hero should fold to on the turn?

i'd say 10.

- what's the smallest bet hero should fold to on the river (assuming the $6 bet on the turn)

i'd say 15.

Los Feliz Slim
03-02-2005, 11:40 AM
This could be waaaaay weak, but I'll usually check this and play it for set value. In any case, if you're going to raise, it's GOT to be more with 2 limpers. Any ace, king, or queen comes on the flop and then you're out of position with no idea where you stand. Then, I think you bet at least the pot on the flop.

I think CO had a monster, either 7-8 or the nut flush w/AK.

jonnyUCB
03-02-2005, 02:16 PM
I give the turn a bet for good measure. Probably 10. Lose more than you did but don't fold the best hand: if he calls then you're done.