PDA

View Full Version : Party 5/10 - Mad Swede & the pot-man

hansarnic
03-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Hand 1

I raise UTG to 35 with AKs.

Mad swede in MP makes it 260 & types ‘gg’. I have only been in for a couple of orbits, but in that time have seen him open-raise for 150 UTG & then show Q9o and push his entire stack into a low board vs. a few limpers & show a gutshot str8 draw. He will see me as laggy..

Folded to me.

We both have 1kish. So I push.

Sound OK?

Hand 2

A few orbits later UTG who seems OK limps. I limp with 33 in MP, CO makes it 55, mad swede calls from the button and UTG & I call.

CO is reasonably tight pre-flop but always open-raises. He has insta-bet pot on the flop every single time he’s raised & been called (at least 5 times). No-one has played with him beyond the flop thus far. My image is now a little more solid.

Flop is 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, UTG checks & I check. The instant I check he bets pot. I mean the instant. It’s so quick that I’m pretty sure he has actually clicked the ‘bet pot’ box whilst waiting for UTG & me to act. So in retrospect not betting was a pretty huge fcuk-up on my part.

My thoughts for checking were not to kill any action between pot-man & mad swede. Anyway mad swede thinks for an age and folds as does UTG.

I have 900 back & the pots at about 450 & I decide that pushing may look like a diamond draw, whereas calling is going to shut him down. My plan fails, he thinks & folds.

So a missed opportunity. Who leads the flop? If not, do you just flat call the flop bet?

gomberg
03-02-2005, 10:32 AM
I lead here a large percentage of the time - it's a drawy board and you're hoping the raiser has an overpair and reraises you. Even better if someone has AKd-ATd. CR lets people off too easy. If you think you may bet a couple pot bets from the bettor and a caller, then a CR is an ok plan, but leading out leads to a greater chance at a double-up.

Utah
03-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Hand one is okay. I put the EV of the play at about $100 assuming his range of hands:

AA - 10%
KK - 10%
Other pair - 50%
A,K - 5%
A,x - 5%
Junk - 20%

I assumed some probabilities that he would fold some hands. However, the play is EV positive if he calls everything.

The_Bends
03-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Second hand is not well played. You have the full house with the flush draw out there. Ideally you want it to hit and have someone get their money in. Check raising this hand is only going to let money get away. Leading is definatly the best play you might take a couple of stragglers along for the ride as well.

ObnxNole
03-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Hand number one sounds good.
Hand number-lead out at the flop especially if it is raised preflop. You would be surprised how many time an opponent will raise you with an over pair, big cards, or a diamond draw.

hansarnic
03-02-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Second hand is not well played. You have the full house with the flush draw out there. Ideally you want it to hit and have someone get their money in. Check raising this hand is only going to let money get away. Leading is definatly the best play you might take a couple of stragglers along for the ride as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flush draw getting there is probably bad for me as it may slow down a big overpair, which is what I think raiser has. That's far more likely than AKd. 90% sure UTG is on a small pair. Mad Swede could have literally anything.

But I agree leading is preferable, especially when CO has already clicked the bet pot button /images/graemlins/wink.gif