PDA

View Full Version : advice on a hand/crazy players

09-17-2002, 01:12 AM
At a home game last month (15-30)...a crazy game...lots of raises with garbage (J8off, 54off, A3off, etc).

I am at the gun with JDJS...so I raise to hopefully narrow the field. Small blind re-raises (new player, have no clue of how he plays) and big blind re-raises (the guy is wasted drunk and is a sucker). So I call for 60...since I figure I am good and big blind has nothing. I am only concerned about the small blind.

Flop: 10D 4H 2S.

Small blind bets...big blind raises...I re-raise with the Jacks because I know the drunk has nothing. To my surprise, the small blind re-raises me and I call. Big pot (about 360).

Turn is a 4S.

Small bets again and big raises again.

I fold because I figure I have to pay 120 for another card...that is, the small blind with probably re-raise and the drunk will get one more in raise in also (he was doing this all night...reraising with nothing). Besides, they could have a four (although unlikely). But, I fold because I figure the small has a higher pair.

Turn is a 8S.

Small blind had an AQ and the big blind had nothing.

I felt I made the correct play based on the fact that the game required a more conserative style (since I am on a short bankroll) and because I felt there would be better opportunites to make money as the game went on. I made a nice score in the game with a more cons. style but that hand bothered me because the pot would have been over 500.

What would you have done?

09-17-2002, 01:35 AM
Personally I would have capped the pre-flop. Might have slowed down the SB. You showed weakness and the SB was able to take advantage of this (courteosy of the drunken sailor at the table!!) In reality you caused yourself to lose this pot. Your weakness gave the SB the mindset that he had the best so he played it that way. And because you were out of position, your only choice was to lay down. After all even drunken fools hit hands....Good lay down, bad pre-flop play.

Dynasty
09-17-2002, 02:14 AM
When players are raising with garbage, you don't fold overpairs. Instead, you jam them don't your opponent's throat. You should have 3-bet the turn.

Besides, they could have a four

Unbelievable.

Ray B
09-17-2002, 03:59 AM
I would never have folded a over pair. If your bankroll can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

drewjustdrew
09-17-2002, 12:32 PM
I would often fold this hand, but not in this game. If you are seeing a lot of maniacal play, you need to accept that pots are going to be expensive. Risk/reward.

09-17-2002, 02:29 PM
Agree absolutely. Folding was criminal.

Zele
09-17-2002, 04:56 PM
You really have to stick with this one. You live for players like BB, and here's a hand where he's almost certainly in full-on donation mode.

It's true that you can play in a game a little above your BR if you play tighter, but if you're not able to play aggressively, there's no way you'll be making the most of it when you do have the best of it, therefore your overall edge will be small at best. I say downsize a little until you've built up your BR enough to be comfortable jamming a pot like this one.