PDA

View Full Version : need some help with a major leak in my game.

Binbs
03-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Ive been playing Hold em for about a year now, but there are two areas that Im having real trouble playing correctly and lose money to when playing.

Playing pocket pairs 88-TT and raising preflop with AK, AQ, AJ and missing the flop, whereafter I try and take the pot and end up losing a lot of money.

Normally I raise with those big hands, and when the flop comes I bet into the pot making a pot sized bet. This is usually called. I then either check on the turn and end up losing the pot cuz my opponent either 1) has something thats better than Ace high or 2) my opponnent senses weakness and bets to push me outta the pot.

I know that a smart opponent will sense weakness just like I do and try and bet to push me out, which is why I want to keep trying to bet the turn again. Of course this sometimes results in me losing a lot more money than I should have that hand.

I have the same problem with small pocket pairs basically. Ive also learned that I need to be much more cautious and play the hand according to what position I am in, as most likely I will miss the flop with AK, AQ and AJ.

Ive also learned that I need to be more aware of how much I raise as if I want to make a pot sized bet I dont want to raise too much, but I also do not want too many ppl on the flop with me.

If anyone has experience with this problem please advice me on how you plugged this leak in your game.

Thanks in advance,

Binbs.

Ps: Here is a good example of me losing money on a PP.

Im dealt 66 in a 6 man game. Ive got the biggest stack on the table, 79 dollars on a max 50 dollar buyin.

> odog05 posted small blind ($0.25)
> Binbs posted big blind ($0.50)
> Game # 263,908,104 starting.
> Dealing Hole Cards
> Borreborre folded
> thigt called for $0.50
> Maverick_17 folded
> odog05 called for $0.25
> Binbs bet for $1.50
> thigt called for $1.50
> odog05 folded
> Dealing the Flop(7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif )
> Binbs bet for $2.50
> thigt called for $2.50
> Dealing the turn(10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif )
> Binbs checked
> thigt checked
> Dealing the river(Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif )
> Binbs bet for $1.50
> thigt called for $1.50
> thigt shows One Pair, Nines
(9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif )
> thigt wins $11.90 with One Pair, Nines

tbach24
03-02-2005, 09:07 AM
1. I play full ring, but I'm pretty sure 66 isn't a raise from the blinds in 6max.

2. Don't bluff a calling station (he appears to be one)

3. Just check/fold the river, that last attempt is weak.

JaysonWeberFCP
03-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Well Binb's I see your not the only member of FCP that browses 2+2's!

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-forum/viewtopic.php?p=55665#55665

Thats where I replied binbs /images/graemlins/smile.gif

scottkenobi
03-02-2005, 10:40 AM
I also play full ring, but I would say that with 3 over cards on the board I would be careful. Betting the flop to see where you stand I think is a good idea, but getting called or raised would worry me a little, again because there are all over cards with an A. I think that is one of those situations where you are only going to get called by a hand that beats you. But then again I'm use to full ring NL. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Scott /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

daveymck
03-02-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also play full ring, but I would say that with 3 over cards on the board I would be careful. Betting the flop to see where you stand I think is a good idea, but getting called or raised would worry me a little, again because there are all over cards with an A. I think that is one of those situations where you are only going to get called by a hand that beats you. But then again I'm use to full ring NL. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Scott /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably an area I struggle with medoum pockets say 7's or 8's the flop comes with three overcards, checked to you and you fire a continuation bet (I tend to do 2 thirds of the pot), once he calls is that it do you shut down? Once you check the turn are you not asking for the pot to be taken away from you either by a later position player or a big lead out on the river by an earlier position player?

LockLow34
03-02-2005, 11:13 AM
No set, no bet.

scottkenobi
03-02-2005, 11:22 AM
With a small pair and 3 overcards you are probably beat. Then the turn and river are also over cards how can you expect to take a pot like that down? There is a possible straight by the river, and lots of paint. So 66 looks a little weak to me. I could be wrong, it's just my opinion.

Scott

NiceCatch
03-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Binbs,
I'd first of all suggest smaller bets with AK/AQ on the flop, especially at 6max tables. Bet 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the pot every time; this will help conceal your hand, and whether you hit the flop. Also, with hands like AK and AQ, it is vital to bet these in position. I.e., DON'T raise these hands out of the blinds, or early position (especially if you're having problems playing them successfully). If you do, be ready to let the hand go on the flop or turn. Realize that at a 6max table, people will often call you down with a pair, and will assume you have overcards. In full ring, if you don't hit the flop, you will often be well behind.

As to 88-TT, I only raise TT in early position in 6max, not in full ring. In full ring, you play these for set value, except maybe on the button, or in the cutoff. Once again, I'd recommend you bet 2/3rd the pot on the flop, regardless of what comes out.

TrailofTears
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. I play full ring, but I'm pretty sure 66 isn't a raise from the blinds in 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is not. It is played strictly for set value.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Don't bluff a calling station (he appears to be one)

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially not at tables where players will call down with any ace.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Just check/fold the river, that last attempt is weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Your bluff was weak (read: useless) and see part 2 of tbach's response.

TrailofTears
03-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Go Pack! (sorry for the hijack)

Binbs
03-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I think my problem has been that I have not been paying enough attention to position on a 6 max table.

Ill start using that much more from now on.

Thanks again =)