PDA

View Full Version : how to maximize the most from your opp. in NL

Mikey
03-02-2005, 07:05 AM
I'm mainly a limit player and I'm now making a small transition to NL cash games. I notice that the two games are totally different animals. In limit you are betting to protect and to extricate the most value, but I believe that in NL sometimes its worth sacrificing a winning a small pot if you can win a big pot. So here is my situation and you tell me what you would do.

I'm playing NL 2-4 and I pick 66 on the button after about 4 peple limp in. The limper stacks are pretty deep.
Pot size is approx $20

Flop is Ad 6d 7s.

It gets checked to me and I bet the size of the pot.
$20

Only the BB calls.

So I put him on either an Ace or some type of flush or straight draw.

Pot Size is $60.

On the turn falls a 3s.

He checks I bet $25 and he calls.
Is this how much I should have bet??
SHould I have bet more, less?
Could I have checked this??

Pot size is now $110.

River is a 7h.

NO help to the flush and I have a full house obviously.

He checks I bet $55, he folds.

I mean obvioiusly he missed a flush, but should I have bet less???

How would you proceed throughout this hand??

tbach24
03-02-2005, 08:57 AM
The only place you are making more on this hand is the turn. Bet 40 there, and then when his draw misses, there's really nothing you can do. When I'm OOP, I like to check it to him to let him bluff, but here, you don't really have that oppurtunity as it seems he's in check/fold mode.

Utah
03-02-2005, 09:47 AM
The best way to make money when the stacks are deep is to bet, hope you get raised, and come back over the top. It is also best to bet in a very natural pattern that represents a hand they can beat. For example, in your hand you want to bet in a way that represents the A.

I think you played the hand okay. I would have thrown in a larger turn bet as you are giving him decent odds to draw.

An interesting line might have been to check the turn, hope the flush doesnt complete, hope he has an A and leads at you on the river, and then put in a big raise with what appears to be a busted flush and hope you get called.

Given that he didnt lead bet I am guessing that in this case it would have been pretty hard to extract a lot of money.