PDA

View Full Version : would you have played it the same? Semi Bluff 4 flush

ZeroMan
03-02-2005, 06:11 AM
late in 7K guaranteed tourney on Prima. 171 entrants, 30 left, blinds 400/800. average stack ~14K
BB has ~9K, hero has ~10K
hero has A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif in CO-1 and goes for a standard steal for 2400
BB calls and flop comes: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif
BB checks
pot is 5.2K
hero pushes in 7.6K

would you have played it the same?

result:
<font color="white">BB calls with a set of 4's and i get no help </font>

ansky451
03-02-2005, 09:23 AM
1. Do not post the results.
2. FWIW, I would have played it pretty much the exact same way.

maddo
03-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi. Can I just ask, why do you call it a steal? Isn't AJs a valid raising hand in this position? Is it because you just wanted to take the blinds and don't really want action, but know that you have a pretty good hand if called?

Thanks.

kuro
03-02-2005, 09:57 AM
You played it fine. I probably would have just pushed preflop though. I know that I'm not going to fold to a reraise preflop with that stack and that my continuation bet on the flop is going to pot commit me. So by pushing I maximize folding equity and prevent villain from getting away from the hand on the flop if I make my hand.

ZeroMan
03-02-2005, 11:05 AM
hmm...it was folded round to me... and i admint AJ looked nice here, but i more wanted to steal the blinds because i didnt want to be calling with the blinds starting to go up to 500/1000, i needed the chips, obv if i had a deep stack then i would want to tweak it and hopefully draw to a flush, but not in this situation. and from maddo and kuro posts i see i should have probably raised it a bit more. but a question for kuro would you allways push in this position with all your steal hands? i mean i was wanting a fold but happend to get a call and then an appealing allin flop. if i where to allways push in preflop then isnt it just a -EV play? only get called with better hands? oh wait..is it just because of my stack size? because its on the low side, i see your point, good point.

ZeroMan
03-02-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Do not post the results.
2. FWIW, I would have played it pretty much the exact same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean be FWIW?

BAK
03-02-2005, 11:46 AM
FWIW = For what it's worth

sirtimo
03-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Hmmmm....why not take the free card? You're making a bet that will only be called if you're beat. A Villian with only 11x the blind calls your 3x preflop raise then checks to you reeks of a strong hand (pocket pair, AKs-AJs, Ako) that has a good chance of dominating you. Your hand can only improve.

regards,
Tim

schwza
03-02-2005, 01:05 PM
yeah, i'd play it the same.

willie
03-02-2005, 01:11 PM
about the same

i'd go about 2k preflop (nitpicky, doesn't really matter) and definitely push this flop

Why not take a freecard is what a poster asked? Cause i want my money in there with 2 overs and the nutflush draw....and i want them to fold, but if i'm called i'm still in decent shape against anything but a flopped straight or something along those lines. Against a set you're still 30%ish i believe. (edit, 25% actually) Against anything but a set you're in pretty sweet shape.

well played.

tiger7210
03-02-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm definitely playing it the same way. The only hand that calls you here is a set and maybe 99's or TT's since he's now under 10 BB post flop. You have to assume JJ-AA's/AK/AQ reraise PF. If he calls you with any pair below your J (55,77,99,TT) that didn't hit their set you're still ahead here on this flop. Other than villain flopping a set here you still have plenty of outs when called. There's a 40% increase to your stack in the middle, a push here is certainly the right play.

ZeroMan
03-03-2005, 01:54 AM
thx for all the input everyone, but im somewhat split to whether my raise to 2.4K was correct in the first place? kuros point on being committed on a continuation bet and that i should have just pushed in preflop makes sense. but is this the superior play. i now feel confident with my flop play but the question is should i have seen the flop at all?

billyjex
03-03-2005, 02:42 AM
You played it fine. 3xbb if a normal open raise late in a tourney. You can vary it 2xbb to 5xbb but I pretty much stick w/ 3-4xbb. You're only option on the flop really is to push.