PDA

View Full Version : playing trips with weak kicker (full ring)

theredpill5
03-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Hi.

Say for example you have 7 8 in the BB

Flop: 8 5 8

You got a fish on the line in LP.

I have been check/calling to the river as long as fishy is betting. I just wonder if I should be raising anywhere even though I have a weak kicker. I'm so paranoid that I'll run into A8 or something and I'll get caught with a reraise all-in and have a tough decision.

Most of the time , 90 % of the time, opponent doesn't have an 8 but overpair or ace high. Am I losing EV by not being more aggressive. With K 8 or A 8, I would definitely be more aggressive. Thanks

theredpill5
03-02-2005, 07:34 AM
how come the boards are so dead tonight ? What's up ? I usually get replies here. ???

scottkenobi
03-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I would just call him down to the river then make a play at him. The odds of him having the other eight are very slim so I say trap him and then raise on the river. I've been in that situation before and it pays off more times than not. Sometimes slow playing it lets the other guy catch a boat if he's got a pocket pair. It doesn't happen that often, especially if you're heads up with the guy. In a multi-way pot I'd be more careful. Good luck and I hope that helped.

Scott

djoyce003
03-02-2005, 11:11 AM
You have to find a raise somewhere.....usually the turn because unless you KNOW the guy will bet the river, he's liable to check it through. I fire a decent raise on the turn...nothing crazy, like maybe double his bet...you want a call in most instances. The raise changes if the board is draw heavy.