PDA

View Full Version : The one month challenge

J_V
03-02-2005, 03:18 AM
You can shorten it to a week if you want to be a pansy about it. Sort've like doing crunches with you hands on your legs - that said, I've never gone one week.

Do not look at your cashier for one month straight. Simple, just play good cards and look at the end. At the very least you'll learn something about yourself.

Reef
03-02-2005, 03:19 AM
ugh, harder than not scratching your balls.

Subfallen
03-02-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can shorten it to a week if you want to be a pansy about it. Sort've like doing crunches with you hands on your legs - that said, I've never gone one week.

Do not look at your cashier for one month straight. Simple, just play good cards and look at the end. At the very least you'll learn something about yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you're playing at a limit you know you win at, this idea is beyond good. Thx J_V.

Michael Davis
03-02-2005, 04:02 AM
OK JV, I'm in, but not until I drop out for good. Otherwise it means very little.

-Michael

Ulysses
03-02-2005, 06:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The table buyin screen will present a big problem.

jaxUp
03-02-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The table buyin screen will present a big problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly

turnipmonster
03-02-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm down for a week. as far as the table buyin screen, easy to just push enter really fast and not look

IsaacW
03-02-2005, 12:24 PM
I assume this means no looking at my PokerTracker stats pages either?

Hrm... April 2 is a long way away. I'll think about it some more.

SomethingClever
03-02-2005, 01:01 PM
I don't check the cashier screen until I'm done, but it's hard for me not to keep a running tally in the back of my mind while playing.

It's remarkable; I try not to pay attention, but when I'm done with the session (having usually opened and closed 10-15 tables while 4-tabling), I can hazard a pretty accurate guess as to where I'm at.

I hate that.

IlliniRyRy
03-02-2005, 01:43 PM
J_V,

This would be absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for me to do, as you probably know. I'm gonna come over and keep an eye on you, somehow I doubt you can do this.

random
03-02-2005, 02:21 PM
I give myself a couple days before I'm forced to realize my account is at $0.

J_V
03-03-2005, 06:19 AM
I'm not gonna dare try this. I need constant feedback, regardless of how meaningless it is.

I tried it for an 8 hour session once and I thought I was up 2k, but I only broke even, when I checked. I'm never gonna try that again /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

J_V
03-03-2005, 06:20 AM
C'mon, you can get around this.

Close your eyes as you hit enter.

rory
03-03-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm in-- I will close my eyes when buying into the table. I already cover my money up during the session-- this is just an extension. It will be tough.

Entity
03-03-2005, 01:29 PM
This is a great idea for me. I'm going to give it a try.

Rob

turnipmonster
03-03-2005, 02:04 PM
I tried last night, I messed up and looked (as is standard for me) after playing NL, but I played limit afterwards and did not look. I feel like I played well, and am pretty sure I won a bunch of money.

--turnipmonster

skp
03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
In fact I think it's important to know how you are doing at a particular table if you have been there for a while because only if you know that will you be able to take into account how others may perceive your emotional state and the meaning of your poker actions.

This aspect has lost some of its significance these days where guys are playing 4 or more games in the sense that you could be getting your ass kicked on one table but winning overall. Conversely, you could be winning at a table but be on full blown tilt because of horrendous beats on other tables etc.

Players at any one table may or may not know that you are playing several games. And they probably wont know how you are doing in those games. Yet, I still think that knowing how you are doing is still somewhat important to gauge how you are probably being perceived by others.

Duke
03-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Bump Grisgra's post off the front page.

~D

Wally Weeks
03-04-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like trying Grapenuts for a week, what's the point? They're neither grapes nor are they nuts. Crunches, however, are worth the effort.

Part of the challenge in poker is to control your emotions during the swings, esp. the downswings. It sounds like your idea is to put your head into a hole like an ostrich when something bad is going to happen...like in cartoons. No one is completely immune to feeling bummed out during downswings, but this doesn't sound like a great tactic. It's better to face the truth than to hide from it.

cyorg
03-04-2005, 10:18 PM
good luck with that. but i love the cashier, she reminds me of my success. sometimes i can just look at the cashier for hours and hours.

theBruiser500
03-05-2005, 05:16 AM
i don't understand what's the point of this?

buffett
03-06-2005, 10:15 PM
I really like the idea. But how do you plan on accounting for your taxes during this month? For my tax records, I load my results into an Excel spreadsheet after each session. I guess you'll be guesstimating? or relying on PokerTracker? (I can't rely on PT for this, b/c I play a good bit at Absolute and PT & Abso are not the best of friends (at least on my computer), plus sometimes I forget to request my 200 most recent hands as I'm playing.)
-web

StellarWind
03-08-2005, 03:09 AM
This is not a very practical idea:

1. Americans need to keep daily records for tax purposes.

2. Online accounts should be carefully monitored for unauthorized withdrawals and other problems. The sooner you notice that something is wrong the more likely it is that something can be done about it. You'll deserve no sympathy for playing everyday but waiting weeks to report chip dumping by someone who broke into your account.

3. You should be withdrawing excess funds on a regular basis. Don't leave more money in an online account than you need to support your play. Your money is neither safe nor earning interest. Don't let your account become overfunded.

Peter Harris
03-08-2005, 05:10 PM
extra credit for intentions, stellar?!