PDA

View Full Version : You can keep your big pots (the last I have to say on this issue)

gmanko
03-02-2005, 12:58 AM
I had a long post thought out and just received Poker Essays I in the mail today, and one of the articles was "Do Big Pots Mean Good Games?".

The answer was not necessarily, because it could mean that there are a lot of aggressive players in the game, that there are a lot of players that could be drawing at you postflop with proper odds, even though their hand selection is poor, and since you have a harder time putting people on hands you will make more mistakes (your aces may be behind on a 442 flop to a guy who limped in UG with 42 s00ted ). Also, your standard deviation is higher so you will need a bigger bankroll.

If medium-sized pots are good enough for Mason Malmuth, they're certainly good enough for me.

Once the average number of players gets above 6 things change, but I have never seen such a live game at meaningful limits. If anyone knows of one please invite me, or better yet just send me the money via Neteller or PayPal.

emonrad87
03-02-2005, 01:25 AM
I would guess that Mason is referring to games that have much different texture than your typical 2/4 party game.