PDA

View Full Version : Is there a greater edge in NL?

og5
03-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Hey guys, I asked this question in another forum but it kind of got off track and my question wasn't answered. If anyone's played both limit and NL, how do you think it compares in terms of profit expectation and softness of games? (at the lower levels) I played a few sessions of NL yesterday and today and like it a lot so far, but I wanted to hear what the veterans have to say before I make any decisions about switching. Maybe it gets tougher higher up, but at the .25/50 tables it seems like a good player has significant advantage over a regular player. (I didn't even know what I was doing and did pretty well, though it was probably just luck)

Thanks

jonnyUCB
03-02-2005, 12:42 AM
harder decisions, but when you can make the right ones they pay off much more

fimbulwinter
03-02-2005, 01:46 AM
NL offers more earnings and a steeper gradient of earnings. it's easy to become a slightly winning limit player strictly by tightening up preflop. likewise, its easy to beat small NL games by just having better hand valuation.

fim

ihardlyknowher
03-02-2005, 02:00 AM
For the really elite limit players, I think the win rates can be much higher. Mainly because 8-tabling is much easier in limit than NL. I have heard that limit win rates can be as high as $500/hr at Party 15/30. Is this achievable at any level of NL?

og5
03-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to switch to NL after I win enough to pay for my limit books.

og5
03-02-2005, 02:11 AM
I guess it's possible if you're very good. but for the majority of us (like 99.5%) I doubt we could sustain any more than .5 BB/hr 8 tabling that limit. Most 15/30 players are likely very good, you think you can outplay like 50 of them at one time?

ihardlyknowher
03-02-2005, 02:13 AM
I know I can't do it. I have a friend who does it. He made $450K playing 20 hrs./week last year.

TrailofTears
03-02-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm going to switch to NL after I win enough to pay for my limit books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow. You are switching TO NL but are waiting until you can buy some limit books...Or did you buy them on credit and are paying off your monthly charges?

Either way, you should buy Reuben & Ciaffone (spelling?), as it is considered by many to be the best NL ring game book out there.

Oh, and post and read in here a lot, as it is even better than reading books.

-T

TrailofTears
03-02-2005, 02:14 AM
I think you put an extra 0 in that number...At least, I hope you did...

ihardlyknowher
03-02-2005, 02:15 AM
No extra 0 there.

TrailofTears
03-02-2005, 02:19 AM
Nevermind...I am just not used to reading posts that use the Yen as the preferred currency... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

ihardlyknowher
03-02-2005, 02:21 AM
LOL

og5
03-02-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm going to switch to NL after I win enough to pay for my limit books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow. You are switching TO NL but are waiting until you can buy some limit books...Or did you buy them on credit and are paying off your monthly charges?

Either way, you should buy Reuben & Ciaffone (spelling?), as it is considered by many to be the best NL ring game book out there.

Oh, and post and read in here a lot, as it is even better than reading books.

-T

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I meant to say I'm switching after I win enough to pay OFF my limit books. I have 4 of them (roughly $80 total) and I don't want to throw them in the closet without at least paying them off. Plus SSH came today and it's a great read.

But when I do switch I'll pick up Harington on Holdem, R and C, Supersytem 2 and then decide to switch to Omaha 8 (j/k)

TrailofTears
03-02-2005, 02:43 AM
Yeah, I've heard good things about all the books you mentioned, but HoH is pretty much exclusively for tournament play where as R&C is strictly ring NL.

Anyways, best of luck with the switch (I will never go back to limit...It actually makes me cringe to even think about it). Hopefully we'll see you around here more often then. Take care.

-Trail