PDA

View Full Version : Help With Competition Events

Jman28
03-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Hey guys. So, my friend and I are competitive people (him more than me), and we decided to have a friendly, intense competition.

This competition will include a large array of events testing all different kinds of skills. The criteria we have decided upon for whether games should matter or not is if we were part of some organization, and they needed to crown a 'champion' what would they test?

So, I'm coming to you guys for ideas. As of now, we have (tentative list):

Intelligence:
-IQ or other test (anyone know where to get a cheap, reliable measure of intelligence?)
-Debate
-Trivial Pursuit

Athletisism:
-Boxing Match
-100 or 200 yd. dash
-distance run

Other:
-Eating contest (one spicy food, one bulk)
-Drinking contest? (we don't know of a safe way to do this, or exactly what we're looking for)
-Rapping (it'll be funny)

We will assign points based on how important the events are and how badly one of us loses.

So, any thoughts on the ideas we already have? or on new competitions that should be used to crown a 'champion'?

It's just for fun, but we both do want a fair, well planned competition. Thanks.

-Jman28

eric5148
03-02-2005, 01:13 AM
How about a gambling competition? You could each make some sports bets and see who comes out ahead (at least 200 bets), play HU poker, or a stock market competition.

deacsoft
03-02-2005, 01:22 AM
How about a "hoggin'" contest? Or some other getting laid event? This will test the smoothness skills? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jman28
03-02-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about a "hoggin'" contest? Or some other getting laid event? This will test the smoothness skills? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We talked about this briefly before dismissing it. There's really no fair way to go about it, and it's dangerous.

eric5148
03-02-2005, 01:32 AM
I forgot about RPS and Weboggle.

bort411
03-02-2005, 01:46 AM
I'm a big fan of replicating American Gladiators events for the athletic portion; Assault would be especially fun if you have access to some sort of pellet gun or air rifle. You could set up Powerball too, using garbage cans and a couple of large friends as defenders. To cap it off, make some needlessly elaborate obstacle course at your local playground and call it the Eliminator.

God that show was great.

Nottom
03-02-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I forgot about RPS and Weboggle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think RPS should definately be on the list somewhere. Just make sure the match is long enough for your edge to appear.

Shilly
03-02-2005, 02:42 AM
First to finish Edward Fortyhands for the drinking portion.

slickpoppa
03-02-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
-Drinking contest? (we don't know of a safe way to do this, or exactly what we're looking for)

[/ QUOTE ]

You could do a "Two men enter, one man leaves." Basically, each person has to chug a beer every minute. The first person to puke, loses.

You could also combine drinking and athleticism and have a beer mile competition.

Jman28
03-02-2005, 03:09 AM
You could also combine drinking and athleticism and have a beer mile competition.

I think that would be the worst experience of my life.

Jman28
03-02-2005, 03:17 AM
One concern I have is in the picking of games that we already know which of us will win.

I have a huge edge in a gambling game or a test of physical strength.

He has a huge edge in almost any kind of learned academic knowledge competition. He's older than me and much more educated.

Do we not include these events (history test, or bench press, or whatever) or must we since they are important skills?

Also, anyone know of an intelligence test that would be easy to acquire?

Thanks.

-Jman28

deacsoft
03-02-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright. This + no hoggin'/sex contest = worst comp ever!

Jman28
03-02-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright. This + no hoggin'/sex contest = worst comp ever!

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd make for a fun story though.

jstnrgrs
03-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Why not just play abstract trick-shot magic. One on you pick a competition (and decide the rules etc.), then compete, then the other picks a game. After a pre-determined number of rounds, whoever wins the most wins. Since you are each picking the same number of events, there should be no fairness disparity.

Jman28
03-02-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not just play abstract trick-shot magic. One on you pick a competition (and decide the rules etc.), then compete, then the other picks a game. After a pre-determined number of rounds, whoever wins the most wins. Since you are each picking the same number of events, there should be no fairness disparity.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would rules work as far as similarities? Like, can I pick heads up NL Holdem, and then pick heads up PLO?

jakethebake
03-02-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We talked about this briefly before dismissing it. There's really no fair way to go about it, and it's dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just lost interest.

Jman28
03-02-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just lost interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it'd be fun witness. I don't have the balls for a competition like this.

jstnrgrs
03-03-2005, 06:26 AM
Well, its your competition, so you can make the rules however you want. If it were me, I would try to set some guidelines, and agree on an independant arbitor to decide if two events are redundant. (I think a good starting place would be to say that each player can only pick one card game.)

Perhapse you could agree on a list of skills to be tested (athletic ability, intellegence, etc.) and require that each player only pick one event for each skill. Perhapse allow one or two "wild card events" (which could be used even if they don't fit into a particular category) per person just to be sure that the guidelines are not to restrictive. I don't think it should be to difficult to agree upon the exact rules, and I think this is the best way to have a "competition of everything".

tolbiny
03-03-2005, 06:35 AM
Unless you both have experience boxing a better athletic test would be wrestling. Less dangerous, much more objective if you get a ref who can score properly, and a truer test of physical ability.

Jman28
03-03-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhapse you could agree on a list of skills to be tested (athletic ability, intellegence, etc.) and require that each player only pick one event for each skill

[/ QUOTE ]

So let's say I'm against a dumb guy who majors in art history.

For intelligence: I pick IQ test, he picks Art History test, and we split.

Is that what you mean? Cuz that's not fair.

-Jman28

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you both have experience boxing a better athletic test would be wrestling. Less dangerous, much more objective if you get a ref who can score properly, and a truer test of physical ability.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf is wrong with you? We should be encouraging more dangerous events for chrissakes!

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 02:11 PM
i suggest fastest beater-offer and measure for who makes the most.

FatMan
03-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Do it just like the ancients Greeks did. Naked and covered with oil. Don't worry about the score, just go til one guy pins the other.

beerbandit
03-03-2005, 02:55 PM
maybe, each of you create a list of events that you want to compete in

use whatever means to determine who goes first and they may select an event from the others list

i think you should create lists of equal length, but not all of the events ahve to be used

not sure

good luck

tolbiny
03-04-2005, 07:20 AM
lol- they did use oil.
there was one guy who was the champion many years in a row... his "secret" move? Breaking his opponents fingers untill they submitted... they later made rules against because of him.

Victor
03-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Have a weight competition. See who can bang the most cumulative weight in a week. For instance, you can bang 10 100lb girls or 2 500 lb girls.