PDA

View Full Version : Total Omaha Newbie...was I even close with this hand?

Harv72b
03-02-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm normally a 3/6 full HE player, but I decided to take a break earlier and play some .50/1 Omaha on Party. My prior experience in Omaha is comprised entirely of about 5 sessions of .02/.04 Stars, and I really have no idea what I'm doing most of the time--I still sometimes forget that you have to use two hole cards to make a hand, so 4-flush boards shouldn't be as scary as in HE. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyway, interested in comments on all streets of this hand. I think I played it right start to finish, but I could be wrong. Obviously I have no reads on my opponents, although I do know enough to realize that the table as a whole is playing very loose & very poorly (and if I see that they're playing poorly, they're playing extremely poorly).

Party Poker .50/1 Omaha (8 handed) converted manually

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls

Flop: (13.5 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (9.5 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, 3 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (21 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 25 BB

Yads
03-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Fold PF, Flop fine.
turn just call
river fold

KJJ5 double suited is trash in Omaha 8.

Harv72b
03-02-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold PF, Flop fine.
turn just call
river fold

KJJ5 double suited is trash in Omaha 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooookay. Sarcasm noted...anyone else?

Niediam
03-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Flop: This hand isn't even worth calling with.

Flop: I like just calling. Your draw to high is very strong and you won't get anybody out with a good low draw.

Turn: Now that your hand is made I think raising is a better play. Make the low draws have to decide if they want to pay 2 big bets to catch half the pot. No reason not to cap it as you have the nuts for the high.

River: I don't like the raise here. You can only benefit from it if both player's call (or in the very unlikely scenario that both fold or the caller(s) don't have a low). I'd rather entice MP1 to continue playing but only calling here.

Harv72b
03-02-2005, 01:21 AM
I should have specified...this was just straight Omaha, no lows. I didn't see a specific forum for that game, hence the post here...sorry if I erred there. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does that change the preflop picture at all? Admittedly, I tend to look at hands like I'm still playing hold'em...I saw that this one contained two raising hands in HE, so I raised figuring that I had good EV against that many limpers, and could easily fold an unfavorable flop while giving myself pot odds to call to a couple of weak draws.

IronDragon1
03-02-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I should have specified...this was just straight Omaha, no lows. I didn't see a specific forum for that game, hence the post here...sorry if I erred there. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does that change the preflop picture at all? Admittedly, I tend to look at hands like I'm still playing hold'em...I saw that this one contained two raising hands in HE, so I raised figuring that I had good EV against that many limpers, and could easily fold an unfavorable flop while giving myself pot odds to call to a couple of weak draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such a post belongs in the "Other poker" forum.

As for the hand itself, I don't even are to comment except to say that Limit Omaha hi may be the worst of all poker games.

chaos
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM
If this is high Omaha you posted in the wrong forum.

I would fold preflop with this hand. The 5, although suited to a J, is otherwise not coordinated with the other three cards. It is definietely not worth a raise.

Flop play is fine.

Turn play is fine. From the action I expect MP2 also has the straight. But you are probably free rolling with the flush redraw (unless someone has the K-high flush draw).

On the river I would just call hoping for an overcall. You are likely splitting the pot with MP2. No point in driving out anyone else.

beerbandit
03-02-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
river fold

[/ QUOTE ]

he has the nuts

beerbandit
03-02-2005, 10:37 AM
i dont really care for limit omaha

pf limp, i like it on the button

flop call looks good

turn looks good, you have the nuts and both flush draws

river good, youll prob split or see trips

cheers

Yads
03-02-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
river fold

[/ QUOTE ]

he has the nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

Do'h didn't notice the straight. Carry on. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Beavis68
03-02-2005, 12:48 PM
PF fold, everthing is is fine.

Even in Omaha high KJJ5 sucks. You want something like KJJT KJJ9 AKJJ KQJJ You want all five cards working together, this is even more important in loose limit.

Harv72b
03-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Hey, I appreciate all the responses, even if I did post in the wrong forum (sorry about that, and thanks for not flaming). I'll just throw out this last post &amp; then we can let the thread fade into obscurity. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The preflop comments in particular show that I have a lot to learn about this game, even I'm just going to play a few hands here &amp; there as a fun break from the usual grind. In this case I obviously overestimated the value of being double-suited and having a high PP in my hand, but lucked out when I got a nearly perfect board. The turn cap seemed blatantly obvious, holding the current nuts &amp; having redraws to two 2nd nut flushes.

MP2 actually had two pair with Q3 (!) and a lower diamonds draw on the turn, and MHIG. Sadly, the inevitable microlimits table coach then proceeded to slam his play on this hand for two orbits, before the fish left the table. /images/graemlins/frown.gif