PDA

View Full Version : Quote O' The Day

HDPM
09-16-2002, 05:53 PM
Here's an article about an FBI agent turned homicidal maniac. The guy decided to kill two coworkers then kill himself. A bad deal of course, as is all workplace violence. The idiotic quotes are at the end of the article where the people say, "It seemed like a safe building," and "Now I'm worried about security." Hello. You live in a city that was attacked one year ago. Your government has disarmed you. A guy who can pass all security checks decides to take a couple of people out. So how do we stop that? Well, the only way is obviously to encourage more guns in the workplace. If you are going to go meet with a homicidal maniac it helps to have something with you. But that makes people uncomfortable, so how about hiring some 67 IQ security guards for $8/ hr. (Do they make more in NY?) These people will catch some FBI agents gone bad. Yeah. Maybe I should not get mad, but here is a case where the media chooses to quote blithering idiots when a horrible crime is committed. It passes for analysis and morons think "Hmmm.... guns bad security guards good," when the problem is deeper and not easily solved regardless of what we do. Feh. Here's the link: web page (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24365-2002Sep16.html)

scalf
09-16-2002, 05:58 PM
/forums/images/icons/mad.gif i think i'll print it out and read it while i wait 60-75 minutes to get thru security in usual a.m. traffic at atlanta airport...of course, this will really stop terrorism, but at least it seems like someone is doing something...hey, how about doors to cockpit reinforced????gl /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

HDPM
09-16-2002, 06:38 PM
I have not been through Atl airport since 9/11. I can't imagine it now. Yuck. Are you taking charter to Elko? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

SuburbanPokerMan
09-16-2002, 10:18 PM
Cousin,

I'm glad I was here to share your thoughts. I won't be reading the report. But, thanks for the review, I don't know if I agree or disagree. So...

SPM,...play long and prosper...

brad
09-17-2002, 12:28 PM
'hey, how about doors to cockpit reinforced????gl '

a year later and i bet it hasnt been done yet.

on a related note, did you read where (associated press, AP) the planes (757,767) that crashes into WTC were physically unable to be flown that near their theoretical maximum (as far as g-force turns and stuff, because everything is software controlled and wont allow the pilot to pull high g's) , *unless* they were being flown by remote control, which although possible with all planes i guess, was part of the blueprint for 757/767 and built in from the ground up.

huh.

brad

ripdog
09-17-2002, 12:44 PM
While I respect the vast majority of your posts, HDPM, these last few have me scratching my head. First off, the articles have been short enough that I think I could fit them on one side of a 3x5 note card. Not surprisingly, the articles say almost nothing the events they're attempting to report on. Other examples of this are the guy who killed his daughter because he suspected that she had been raped and the one on Cronkite. These don't qualify as news because they don't really say anything. I agree that the guy killing his daughter was horrible. I also agree that Cronkite's comment about "setting the agenda" would cause me to start looking for evidence of bias. This last story seems to have no point at all. I looked at each of these stories and thought that they were all a joke. Yes HDPM, there is bias here, and it ain't just on the media's side of the fence. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

HDPM
09-17-2002, 01:28 PM
"Not surprisingly, the articles say almost nothing the events they're attempting to report on"

One of my main points. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

The example in this thread is an example more of incompetence than bias. But the incompetence leads to a story with a slant. There is precious little news in there, and the irrelevant quotations serve no real purpose. Thus their only result is to influence morons. You are smart enough to see through the article, as is anyone who postes here, but not everybody who reads the article is. Newspapers or other media outlets often cover things in the way that sells papers. (Yeah, the more conservative Fox news included.) I think that is what is going on here, along with intellectually lazy reporting and writing. I'm not exactly a conspiracy theory person, and don't think my brain waves can be read through Yahoo News. Can they?

brad
09-17-2002, 03:39 PM
of course theres a conspiracy going on. its part of human nature for the powerful to cement and add to their power.

how about this link?

http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,55065,00.html

'The Justice Department has failed to answer questions about how the Patriot Act is being applied, but it bristles at suggestions that it is chipping away at Americans' freedoms.

"We are not under any obligation to provide information that could lead to the flight of a suspect or that will ruin a prosecution," said department spokesman Mark Corallo. "We are doing everything we can within the Constitution to stop these guys from killing us again.

"I would say the Patriot Act is effective because we have not had another attack this year," he added.

The USA Patriot Act changes some of Americans' fundamental legal rights in the name of the war on terror, including:

Freedom of association: The government may monitor religious and political groups without evidence of criminal activity.

Right to liberty: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.

Freedom from unreasonable searches: The government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to aid terrorism investigation.

Freedom of speech: The government may prosecute librarians, telecommunication company officials and anyone else who reveals they have received a subpoena for records related to the terrorism investigation.

Right to legal representation: The government may monitor penal communications between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

Right to a speedy and public trial: The government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

Freedom of information: The government has closed once-public immigration hearings, secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist requests for public records under the Freedom of Information Act. '

Jimbo
09-17-2002, 04:03 PM
Brad,

Just what could you possibly disagree with in your post above? It all seems, rational, prudent and conservative in it's application to me.

Jimbo

scalf
09-17-2002, 07:04 PM
/forums/images/icons/mad.gif as a child of the late sixties...i was taught by some high school teachers who pointed out similiar things...in fact, this particular teacher pointed out in categorical detail, how sikiliar the speeches by pat paulson, the comedian, (who purposely wrote speeches that had no true message, and really did not make sense, but had phrases and stop points where people applauded)..were actually very simialar to nixon's speeches, and it was unmistakeable...funny..lol..gl /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Ray Zee
09-18-2002, 12:13 AM
a plane being flown in a 60 deg. bank will only be 2g's for the pilot. so in reality any manuvers you can put a plane thru will be within g force you can stand easily.

brad
09-18-2002, 04:30 AM
according to the article software only allowed pilots 1.5 g maneuvers.

i can search for the link if you want. (mainstream news, like bbc).

brad

brad
09-18-2002, 04:32 AM
just say you think the torture warrant thing is a good idea.

brad
09-18-2002, 05:45 AM
you know i guess the article i read couldve been wrong about that remote control 757/767 thing.

the one about the fundamental change to americans rights is 100% accurate though.

brad

ripdog
09-18-2002, 12:32 PM
Gotcha! What I found interesting was that your posts on the article went far beyond the content of the article itself. There was an obvious slant to your posts that I (being fairly ignorant on the subjects) didn't pick up from the blurb. That's what struck me, along with the absurdity of the reporting. How did HDPM glean all of that from this little piece of s***? Can your brain waves be read through Yahoo? Depends on who you ask. I don't think so, but I once had a guy ask me to disassmble his Volvo because he was sure that his neighbors had planted some sort of tracking device in it. He probably thinks they can.

brad
09-18-2002, 02:14 PM
new cars come standard with a gps tracking device.

Jimbo
09-18-2002, 03:08 PM
Optional equipment not OEM. Plus I think a torture warrant is uncalled for. Just torture them and get the information, a juducial warrant will just slow things down Brad.

jimbo

brad
09-18-2002, 08:49 PM
'Just torture them and get the information, a juducial warrant will just slow things down '

an anti american statement if i ever heard one.

Jimbo
09-19-2002, 12:33 PM
Brad,

Not anti-American at all, simply anti-terrorism. Big difference in my book my liberal friend. Now a little torture that saves many American lives can be easily justified. Just be selective as to whose fingernails you pull out.

Jimbo