PDA

View Full Version : fishing

Boris
09-16-2002, 05:48 PM
dragged my my butt out of bed at 11:00am on Sunday morning to go fishing. Gawd I'm lazy. M2D gave me the low down on where I might catch some small mouth bass with the long rod. lucky for me I only got lost once. the fishing was pretty good. lots of small bass and a few decent sized ones. this was my first experience catching bass on a fly rod. only big difference from trout is that you have to set the hook alot harder. used woolly buggers exclusively. I think muddler minnows would really murder those bass but I didn't have any with me.

KJS
09-16-2002, 06:26 PM
In my college days in Bellingham, WA we used to fish for bass in this mud puddle the city called a pond behind the K-Mart. We used mostly poppers, they were pretty fun to throw out there and the fish loved 'em. I love to throw big flies like poppers and wolly buggers because my crappy casts make just as much noise and splash as an experts.

KJS

M2d
09-16-2002, 07:00 PM
try fishing for them on a warm summer night. That's the big equalizer. Lefty Kreh couldn't splat one down as hard as I tend to. and location? just send your popper out there. as long as you hit water, you're doing ok (try casting from a penninsula or point if you're bad enough /forums/images/icons/smile.gif )

HDPM
09-16-2002, 07:04 PM
Sounds like my speed. How do the fish react to a spastic dog running in and out of the water chasing the thing?

M2d
09-16-2002, 08:44 PM
at night, the bass at the Davis Golf Course would probably try to eat anything terrier sized or smaller. I once caught an 8" bass on a 6" spun hair frog there (at night). Night seems to bring out the loonies in more than one species.

M2d
09-17-2002, 01:31 AM
Short-line, upstream nymphing under an indicator may do the trick here too, though I've never tried it. in the deep slots, the bigger bass seem to stack up and wait for food, so a big, meaty fly like a damsel nymph, or a big stone may entice a hawg.