PDA

View Full Version : I need all sorts of help. Please keep it coming.

callmedonnie
03-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2125)
Hero (t1230)
SB (t2005)
BB (t2640)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

I'm having trouble with my short-handed play. Raise, and if so how much?

Baked67
03-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Easy Push.

stripsqueez
03-01-2005, 10:38 PM
when the BB gets to T300 or more never raise just push - this is an auto push - if UTG raises i might fold - if he limps i would push

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Jman28
03-01-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy Push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slim Pickens
03-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Push, get called by the BB with KTo, lose, and move on to the next tournament knowing you made the correct play and that sort of behavior makes you money in the long run.

Slim

Scuba Chuck
03-02-2005, 12:58 AM
The only hands that you don't have all your chips in the middle here are the ones you fold. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If you really want to make this an interesting thread, as the chorus has this as a EZ...

Repost the exact same Preflop info, blinds, position, stacks, etc. and post the following 5 hands in a poll.
9Ts
K2o
J9o
Q3s
93s

Ask the forum which hands they push with. Now you'll find some interesting info.

curtains
03-02-2005, 12:59 AM
This is a clear push. This late in the event, you survive by winning the blinds. In a 3 handed game (Which this is now since the first player folded), your hand figures to be the best a good % of the time. Also by moving allin slightly better hands may fold to your raise.

When you have only 1200 in chips, gaining 600 in blinds is a huge victory. Just think about it, your goal in touranments is to double up, and it's often very difficult to do so. However if you steal the blinds twice, you've doubled up here!

Geo
03-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Scuba

I would push with any two here, cards are secondary. I have been questioning my play in this type of scenario and would like some other peoples thoughts on this
Of your choices I think I would prefer 9 10s or Q 3s to go allin with

Hood
03-02-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only hands that you don't have all your chips in the middle here are the ones you fold. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If you really want to make this an interesting thread, as the chorus has this as a EZ...

Repost the exact same Preflop info, blinds, position, stacks, etc. and post the following 5 hands in a poll.
9Ts
K2o
J9o
Q3s
93s

Ask the forum which hands they push with. Now you'll find some interesting info.

[/ QUOTE ]

93s is the only one I'm not 100% on... though I would probably push unless the table was looser than usually.

Scuba Chuck
03-02-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Scuba

I would push with any two here, cards are secondary. I have been questioning my play in this type of scenario and would like some other peoples thoughts on this
Of your choices I think I would prefer 9 10s or Q 3s to go allin with

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have all the answers. And I'm still learning how to apply this math stuff right, so maybe this is a way to think about it.

If you push your 1230 chips in the middle, and there's already 600 chips in the pot, the BB is calling 800 chips into an 1830 pot. That's 2.28:1 Pot Odds. Which suggests you should push the top 44% of hands. Which makes the Q3s marginal, and the 93s a fold.

Unfortunately, this analysis doesn't take FE into question. There is some FE against both the SB and BB. This is why I think OP would find this an interesting post, if he just has the balls to do it.

mackthefork
03-02-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you push your 1230 chips in the middle, and there's already 600 chips in the pot, the BB is calling 800 chips into an 1830 pot. That's 2.28:1 Pot Odds. Which suggests you should push the top 44% of hands. Which makes the Q3s marginal, and the 93s a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't push 93s here unless the blinds were making a lot of soft folds I might well push it if I had 2000 in chips in the same spot though.

Regards Mack

hyde
03-02-2005, 11:54 AM

I'm curious as to what hands you will call the aforementioned push with........either blind. or does SB/BB change the range

hyde

valenzuela
03-02-2005, 12:45 PM
My chips are in the middle like 6 hands ago.

Messy Harry
03-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Could someone please explain the concept of fold equity and how it applies here?

Thank you.

Scuba Chuck
03-02-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't push 93s here unless the blinds were making a lot of soft folds I might well push it if I had 2000 in chips in the same spot though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct Mack, with 2000 chips, assuming BB will look at calling this hands from purely a pot odds standpoint, the math says pushing with any two is correct, assuming you're using pot odds as the sole reason for this decision.

It could also be correct from an FE standpoint as well.

Scuba Chuck
03-02-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My chips are in the middle like 6 hands ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how I should respond to this. I'm thinking something pretty smart-alecky like "Then no foo for u."

Scuba Chuck
03-02-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hyde, that is essentially what I was doing, but suggested a poll. Then I chose sample hands that were like the Top 40%, Top 50%, Top 60% and Top 70% (as these are the typical responses you'll get, rather than a fitted hand). It's hard to put all 169 hands into a poll, and it's more likely to get the maximum number of responses from a poll vs. an open thread.

Denied - you don't get to steal my thunder. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to what hands you will call the aforementioned push with........either blind. or does SB/BB change the range

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stack and table play dependent. The first question you need to answer is how tight is the table, and can I continue to steal blinds easily? Personally, I probably fold a lot of good hands here. I might call with TT+, AT+ (about Top 10%).

Math wise, calling with a hand as weak is KJo (Top 15%) is very proper, and I'm sure you could look at even weaker hands than that, like top 25% (A6o).

From an advice standpoint, I'm not an advocate of calling here without a pretty strong hand. Others might be.

valenzuela
03-02-2005, 04:40 PM
I dont see how can a sng go to 200/400 on the bubble is ps stucture that bad?, are ps players that tight? All the freaking time i see hand histories with the blinds 300/600 on 7 handed action, I would rather take some risks 6 handed than 4 handed anyway.