PDA

View Full Version : $25 max - calling raises with small pairs?

ClaytonN
03-01-2005, 09:55 PM
With 100BB what's the highest amount to call with position and a small pocket pair? Assume the raiser is in EP or MP, you have no general reads on him, and you both have around 100BB. Also assume that this raise is going to cut the field to 3 handed at most.

If this is too broad a query, my apoligies, I don't know how to play small pairs in position to a raise, or what's most optimal anyways.

Thanks in advance.

*note - at the moment I play at FTP, but this question applies to $25 NL with .10-.25 blinds games in a general sense.

sourbeaver
03-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Try and get at least 10:1 on your call.
So maximum 10% of your stack or his stack, whichever is smaller.

TrailofTears
03-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Not a cent more than 10-1, and usually it should be less, unless you are sure you can empty them if you hit your set. This whole theory is based on implied odds and if you can't get villain to put it all in against your set, you aren't getting the odds you need to make the play.

PoBoy321
03-01-2005, 10:18 PM
My only problem with this way of thinking is that pre-flop, even against a raise, there's a decent chance that you have the best hand. So if you have position and a good read and feel that you can outplay your opponent postflop, I don't see a reason why you couldn't be a little bit more liberal with a call (althought certainly not much more).

EDIT: I meant to include that you could do this if you have position. I don't care how well you play after the flop, I'm probably even going to fold a low pocket pair out of position, no matter what kind of odds I'm getting.