PDA

View Full Version : NLO hand. Trap?

Phat Mack
09-16-2002, 01:58 PM
NLO hi, 2 & 5. 8-handed, a family pot to me on the button, I call, blinds don't raise. Flop is 8s9sKh. BB ($55) bets $25. UTG gambler ($600) calls, MP rock ($200) calls, I ($450) look at my hand, see 6s7cTc2h and call. Four of us take the turn, a magical 5d, giving me the nuts. BB bets $30 and all in. I have him on a set of K's, AAxx, or any 2-pair. UTG calls, MP calls.

I have the nuts. I can drive out UTG and MP by going all in (they aren't raising the weak UTG player, so they aren't there yet), or I can smooth call, representing a spade draw, and possibly induce a bluff from UTG if a blank (I only count 12 blanks) comes on the river. I won't double through him, but he might (75%) throw out $100 if a blank comes, and fold if I come over the top.

What do I do?

09-16-2002, 06:17 PM
UTG will not try to bluff with BB all-in, since that bet can only lose money. Go all-in.

Ray Zee
09-16-2002, 09:28 PM
fold before the flop, fold on the flop as you have only three fives to make a hand that may be a dog to win anything but half on the river. and against anyone that can play you are probably looking at maybe having only eight cards that can keep your hand from losing on the river.
against all fools move in here and hope for a miracle.

Phat Mack
09-17-2002, 03:36 AM

happyjaypee
09-17-2002, 06:50 AM
/forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Ray Zee
09-17-2002, 09:42 AM
my comments were for high only in this hand. look them over.

Phat Mack
09-17-2002, 11:59 AM
1. Click on "Poll Start" in the Instant UBB Code section directly below.

2. When the box appears, give the poll a title.

3. Click on Poll Option for every response in your survey. When the box appears, enter the particular response.

4. After you've entered all your survey responses, click on Poll Stop.

Viola!

Phat Mack
09-17-2002, 12:06 PM
I agree that what you say makes perfect sense. This guy, however, will make a move at a dry pot for the sheer joy of making a better hand fold.

Phat Mack
09-17-2002, 12:31 PM
OK, I see what you're saying now. Prior to fourth street, my whole play of the hand was ill-conceived. Over half of this table had appeared to believe two pair was a big hand, and that money won by bluffing was more valuable than money won by showing down a hand, and I had gotten in the habit of calling with almost ANY hand on the button for one bet just to see what would develop.

On the flop I thought I had a bigger hand than I did. Any non-spade 5 or 6 would give me the nuts at the moment, but any other straight would have gotten me broke if I held onto it.

On 4th street I figured any non-spade A, 2, 3, 4 or 6 (14 or 15 cards, I'm not sure what my other card was) would keep me pure: about 2:1 dog. I went all in. A red ace hit the river, and I beat UTG's set of kings-he was stronger than I thought.

At the time, when the red ace hit, I thought that if one of my opponents had AA, I could have taken some money from him. But that was stupid thinking - greedy hindsight. I booked a nice win that night, but to be honest I was playing lousy. Now I'm starting to see why.

09-17-2002, 08:47 PM
Where in Texas do you play this game?? I'm in the Fort Worth area, just wondering.

Gavin

Phat Mack
09-18-2002, 07:25 PM
This was a monthe ago in Houston. It was in the "strip center" game, which may have been closed down (rumor).