PDA

View Full Version : This new SNG waiting list crap

Gramps
03-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Anyone else a bit annoyed by this? I understand that people with a slow internet connection have trouble at time getting a seat at a table before it fills up, but the effect is that the start of a tourney can get delayed by a minute or two.

A table gets full except for one or two spots that are "reserved," the person at the top of the waiting list has a good chunk of time to join, they may just let that time expire, then it goes to the next person in line...who may just let it expire...

Meanwhile, 8 or 9 people are twiddling their thumbs waiting for the start of the SNG, and new tables can't open up until this SNG gets filled. It's -EV for (winning) players as each SNG will take longer on average, and it's definitely -EV for Party since they're not doing as many SNGs per hour (and I imagine sometimes people will get impatient and quit one SNG/round of SNGs earlier than they would have).

Grrrr....

Bigwig
03-01-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else a bit annoyed by this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally annoyed.

LaggyLou
03-01-2005, 08:16 PM
No it's great. Now you have time to check everyone out in your PT database or on pokerprophecy.com to see if you really want to sit down.

DonButtons
03-01-2005, 08:30 PM
whats the deal with this?

I really dont like this.

skipperbob
03-01-2005, 08:47 PM
It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness

Gramps
03-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Literally. Got down to one seat left which was reserved, then two people got pissed and those open spots became reserved...geez. 68,00 players on the site when this happened. The kicker is that about 4 other games would have been started within this time without the "reserved" seat being blocked, but instead everyone had to wait for a couple of last spots at one table to be filled before more games could start.

With ring games, hands keep getting played while people are coming and going, and Party keeps collecting rake. With SNGs, no game/no rake until all ten people are seated.

Heck, if I'm a part-time internet forum troll looking for other ways to piss people off, or are mad at Party for some reason, I can just stall the games by constantly getting on the wait list and letting the time expire.

What's the over/under on how long it takes Party to change this feature? Given the cash bleed it's causing them, I'm cautiously optimistic that it will get done fast.

SuitedSixes
03-01-2005, 08:50 PM
If it stinks in the bathroom, light a match.

kamrann
03-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Yeah, just had a 3-4 minute wait for the final seat in a step 5. It really sucks. I remember in the past getting really annoyed with the way I would open a table with apparently 8 open seats only to see it was full by the time it appeared, but I'm sure there's a better way they can solve this problem. For one thing, it really is about time they just changed their shite software/servers or whatever it is that causes the game lists to be updated so infrequently.

And yes I agree, anything that directly costs Party money will be fixed pronto.

Gramps
03-01-2005, 09:59 PM
I'm guessing part of the reason the wait list feature was added is so people with slower internet connections have an easier time getting a seat. But...when you get along delay to a start because the last seat doesn't get filled...there's a bunch of people waiting to get in the next SNG or two....

...and now when the seat finally fills and another table or two open up, it's hard to get a seat even with DSL because people are racing to get a seat at the new tables in case there's another delay, so the open spots get filled super-quick. So, you can't get a seat at the open table cause the last remaining spot(s) is locked, and you may not be able to get a seat at the new table...then the last seat gets locked again and you have to wait 5 minutes again for new tables to open...rinse, repeat. Geez, way to go Party.

Okay, old man ranting done for now. (Why, in my day...[insert Dana Carvey like comment here]...)