PDA

View Full Version : bug or feature in online tournament? (re-raise after all-in)

PStroube
03-01-2005, 07:03 PM
I was playing in an online no-limit tournament

I'd like a ruling on whether this is a bug or feature ....

Player 1 = $3600
Player 2 = $520
Player 3 = $3800 (me)

consider this:

Player 1 makes a bet (50)
Player 2 calls
Player 3 raises (325 -- 375 total)
Player 1 calls
Player 2 raises (145 -- 520 total), all-in, but cannot make a full raise (if he had enough money, his minimum raise would have been 325 -- the amount of the previous raise, right?)

Player 3 wanted to re-raise, but the software only let him call.

Can Player 3 re-raise at this point (thus creating side pot in the middle of the pre-flop round) or can he only call? If he raises, isn't he really re-raising himself to put more pressure on Player 1?

Or does that fact that the pot was raised (by player 2) mean that player 3 should be free and clear to raise as much as he want? If so, what's his minmum raise? 145 to match the previous raise? 180 to "complete the raise" of player 2, or the full 325 of his previous raise

it's kind of a confusing situation, really.

Thanks ... looking forward to the collective wisdom.

================
Paul Stroube
pstroube@comcast.net

DemonDeac
03-01-2005, 07:08 PM
since player 1 and player 3 have already put in the money from your raise, you can only call the all-in reraise. had there been someone who had not yet called player 3's(your) original raise and player 2 went all in for the extra small amt, then a reraise is in order cuz of the other player yet to act.

im pretty sure this is right. correct me if im wrong

JonLines
03-01-2005, 07:10 PM
I am afraid to say a lot of websites have this, where by they allow a re-raise after an under raise from an all-in (does that make sense?!). I don't know why they allow it, but they do.

What does this mean? Well it means you have a great trick you can use! You can raise like, 1 chip less than the small stack, so you might get some extra callers before him, he goes all-in, then you can re-raise everyone off the pot!

Looks like its there to stay, embrace it.

Shibby
03-02-2005, 12:16 AM
From what I've read, if the shortstacked player can not at least double the previous bet, then the original raiser can't reraise.

Shilly
03-02-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm 99% sure you can do this on Party. I like to raise just below the shortstack's stack when I have a big pair so that I can reraise when he pushes.