PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some customized coaching...

daboze
03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Hey Everybody...

I need a coach.
In fact, I need a head coach and a handful of assistant coaches...
I can't seem to get over my current hump and have come up with the following hair-brained scheme to help me reach my current goals at the Party 11's.

Anyway, here's the proposal:

I'll pay $$ for people to review sets of hand histories.
You have to be able to look at at least 25 (to get a sense of overall patterns)
You can pick you area of expertise (heads-up, bubble, ITM, early-game, etc) so you wont have to look at the entire history for each tournament.
You need to be able to comment on specific hands as well as overall patterns.

I'll also want a "head coach" to help me review the "reviews" of the specialized coaches

I'm not sure what the going rate is for reviewing 25 sngs of bubble play (or whatever), so I'm going to let anyone who is interested set their price.

If you're interested please PM me and let me know what you would charge for each set of 25 histories and what part of the tournament you would prefer to review.

Though I would love to assemble the Dream Team, I do have a salary cap that limits my ability to sign all of the top prospects... (ie: eastbay, irie, aleo, chrisV, Rachel, Lorinda, stripsqueez, Yugoslav, Zee, adanthar...and on and on) but I would love to get a couple of you involved!

I'm also curious what everyone thinks of this approach.
I have great respect for most of the posters here and in general find that the most productive way to self-improvement is to seek out those with the knowledge whom you most respect, and don't take advantage of their time.

So, I hope there are some of you out there who will be interested in this... we'll see.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it works out.

voltron87b
03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Ahem...

Hilarious post (salary cap, etc).

If you have the money to pay these people, it is a great way to learn. You might want to keep in mind that you don't have to get the most learned people as they are more expensive (as they are better players and their time is worth more). You will find there is a point of diminishing returns in that respect. I would do it if the pay is good enough. I also post as Voltron87 but that sn is temporarily banned. Not because I'm terrible at SNGs, thankfully.

The Yugoslavian
03-01-2005, 07:23 PM
I love the sports analogy used. It's like you're a poor man's Mark Cuban trying to get together 25 coaches for your 12 man roster, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

There is frankly only one major problem I have with your post and thinking.

[ QUOTE ]

Though I would love to assemble the Dream Team, I do have a salary cap that limits my ability to sign all of the top prospects... (ie: eastbay, irie, aleo, chrisV, Rachel, Lorinda, stripsqueez, Yugoslav, Zee, adanthar...and on and on) but I would love to get a couple of you involved!

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need to and/or ought to remove my name from this list. This is *not* modesty speaking. I shouldn't even be mentioned as the Christian Laettner of this dream team. I'm simply not in the same league as these posters........

....yet. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yugoslav

NegativeEV
03-01-2005, 07:30 PM
IMO you're better off contacting ONE poster who you respect and who you've researched enough to KNOW their coaching would be beneficial. I've benefitted from a coaching arrangement, and I really think your approach of several people involved would lead to an unorganized approach that would be less helpful than working with one individual. Be very careful in who you select as your "coach".

From information in previous threads, I would suggest that you send Irieguy a PM and see if he can give you some suggestions about how to approach this.

skipperbob
03-01-2005, 07:59 PM
You beat me to it; and, to make matters worse, your unabased modesty renders any "SkipperBobs" patently servile /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

DyessMan89
03-01-2005, 08:19 PM
You want a "head coach" and "assistant coaches" to help you in poker?

I cant stop laughing.

skipperbob
03-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Irieguy is the BOMB in spades

voltron87b
03-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Ok, my real take on this is that you don't need the creme de la creme of 2+2 posters reviewing your HHs. You need smart winning ones, but not necessarily the Step 5ers and dominant 215s. Hiring them is a waste of your money. Someone like Irieguy should charge more than me to review your HHs because he is a better player than me and in the time it takes him to look at 25 HHs he could have earned more money playing than me. This is called opportunity cost. There is also the law of diminishing returns. Sure, someone like Irieguy could teach you more about SNGs than myself, but much less than the extra you would have to pay for him. Follow? You are trying to learn the 11s, not the 215s, and there is not very much a Level 5 player can teach you that a 33 or 55er with a 30% ROI can't. And what a 215er can teach you is not worth the extra $$ since it is not very much and doesn't particularly apply to 11s.

I also think your idea of a mid, early, bubble, person is not a good one. I don't think there are too many winning players who are that much better at one than the other.

eagle
03-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Can't stop laughing. A dream team of poker coaches.

Who is going to be the GM ?

Great Post.

daboze
03-01-2005, 11:58 PM
now don't undervalue yourself Yugoslav... Maybe I wouldn't put the "franchise" tag on you, but you're certainly a steal at the mid-level exception!

1C5
03-02-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't stop laughing. A dream team of poker coaches.

Who is going to be the GM ?

Great Post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I be the scout? Towel boy maybe?

johnnybeef
03-02-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, my real take on this is that you don't need the creme de la creme of 2+2 posters reviewing your HHs. You need smart winning ones, but not necessarily the Step 5ers and dominant 215s. Hiring them is a waste of your money. Someone like Irieguy should charge more than me to review your HHs because he is a better player than me and in the time it takes him to look at 25 HHs he could have earned more money playing than me. This is called opportunity cost. There is also the law of diminishing returns. Sure, someone like Irieguy could teach you more about SNGs than myself, but much less than the extra you would have to pay for him. Follow? You are trying to learn the 11s, not the 215s, and there is not very much a Level 5 player can teach you that a 33 or 55er with a 30% ROI can't. And what a 215er can teach you is not worth the extra $$ since it is not very much and doesn't particularly apply to 11s.

I also think your idea of a mid, early, bubble, person is not a good one. I don't think there are too many winning players who are that much better at one than the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you want to one day play at the 215/step 5 level in which the $ will be more than worth it...think of it as a long term investment.

daboze
03-02-2005, 12:35 AM
thanks for your posts, and I agree with what you are saying as for not needing the top players. I am nowhere near the point where I wouldn't benefit from any consistently winning player. But, if one of the top players (and by the way where are the Dream Team posters? talking with their agents, I presume), were to come in with a figure that was reasonable then there would be no reason to pass it up. but as i said, i don't expect a dream team, just possibly one in a mentor-type role to help me make sense of the input and coordinate a gameplan (to stick with the analogy)

As for breaking up the hand histories I agree that this is probably the most controversial aspect of the plan. My hope was to make it easier, and possibly more interesting, for people to specialize in a specific area. HHs are very tedious to look at, and I thought if people could focus on a small aspect of my game that it might be more a bit more "exciting"... we'll see

1C5
03-02-2005, 12:45 AM
people dont look at HH, they just copy them into a hand history replayer. it is not that bad.