PDA

View Full Version : best game in elementary school

M2d
03-01-2005, 05:56 PM
because they're regional names (I think), I'll provide a description of two

Dodgeball-half the kids on the outside of a circle with playground balls; the other half inside. the outside kids proceed to pelt the inside kids with the balls. anyone hit on the fly had to leave the circle until there was only one left. anyone catching a ball on the fly switched places with the one who threw it. after everyone got pelted, you switched original positions and had at it again.

Sham battle-similar concept. two teams on either side of a court, throwing balls at each other. last team to have a man standing wins.

daryn
03-01-2005, 05:57 PM
sham battle? i think THAT'S dodgeball.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn
Where is 4-square!!

/voted for dodgeball. Kickball is up there as an elementary game as well, as is tetherball.

Edge34
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was thinking. WTF?

nolanfan34
03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
No. It was handball, or wallball, as some called it. That was the best, since it was one on one.

stabn
03-01-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

cnfuzzd
03-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Dodgeball as played in the circle taught you the strategic usefullness of surrounding your enemy. Shamball, as the op calls it, taught you the futility of being infantry. I always liked the game where i pretended not to have friends and went to the library during recess. Oh wait,,,,

peace

john nickle

cnfuzzd
03-01-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dodgeball as played in the circle taught you the strategic usefullness of surrounding your enemy. Shamball, as the op calls it, taught you the futility of being infantry. I always liked the game where i pretended not to have friends and went to the library during recess. Oh wait,,,,

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

holy [censored],,, this was my carpal 'tunnel post. That doesnt really surprize me, for some reason...

peace

john nickle

M2d
03-01-2005, 06:06 PM
that's why I included descriptions. I've heard it called both. where I grew up, those were the names of the described games.

Bukem_
03-01-2005, 06:07 PM
#1 dodgeball
#2 butts up-

f you don't know, you throw a tennis or racquet ball against the school wall, people try to catch it on the fly when its coming back. I think if you caught the ball on the fly 3 times, you got to line someone up against the wall and try to hit them in the ass. Same punishment for dropping balls.

#3 4-square

Chobohoya
03-01-2005, 06:08 PM
We used to call sham battle "Warball." Somehow, that makes the memories cooler. That game was awesome.

voltron87b
03-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Dodgeball is great, 4 square is great.

Did anyone play Homicide? It's a wallball game played with a raquetball where you throw the ball against the wall on a fly and if it misses the wall, is caught on a fly or is not caught cleanly (ie off the wall someone bobbles it and then it hits the ground) then the person who made the mistake has to run and touch the wall. Until they get there they can get beaned. Awesome.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
f you don't know, you throw a tennis or racquet ball against the school wall, people try to catch it on the fly when its coming back. I think if you caught the ball on the fly 3 times, you got to line someone up against the wall and try to hit them in the ass. Same punishment for dropping balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

We called that Spread Eagle.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Only girls played 4 Square.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 06:11 PM
I currently play in adult kickball and dodgeball leagues - good times are had by all. The best games always involve the chance to peg someone.

Bukem_
03-01-2005, 06:11 PM
I think you remembered the rules better than I did.

voltron87b
03-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I think I am fresher out of school than you as well.

Ogre
are we talking about ctf blood gulch here? because thats kind of a noob setting. my favorite game is team slayer

daryn
what about suicide?

voltron87b
03-01-2005, 06:13 PM
read my post. We called it Homicide.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
read my post. We called it Homicide.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait. That's the one we called spread eagle.

daryn
03-01-2005, 06:17 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Dodgeball is great, 4 square is great.

Did anyone play Homicide? It's a wallball game played with a raquetball where you throw the ball against the wall on a fly and if it misses the wall, is caught on a fly or is not caught cleanly (ie off the wall someone bobbles it and then it hits the ground) then the person who made the mistake has to run and touch the wall. Until they get there they can get beaned. Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

we played suicide, different than this in that we used a tennis ball and if you bobbled it, you had to run and touch the wall before someone else could get the ball, and throw it at the wall. if someone hit the wall before you touched it, you had to stand up against the wall whlie everyone got to throw the ball at you.

M2d
03-01-2005, 06:17 PM
One I didn't mention. my school had this huge jungle gym. huge. biggest I've ever seen. we played freeze tag on it. supervised by the PE teacher. 15, 20 feet up and hanging on a jungle gym. it was great growing up in a time when teachers didn't worry about lawsuits.

voltron87b
03-01-2005, 06:20 PM
I think ours was yours except you could bean the person on the way to the wall as well. Often the angle worked that if you throw it at the person and miss it would still hit them. Hitting counts towards the letter count or whatever it takes to standing at the wall.

hawkeye
03-01-2005, 06:26 PM
In the fifth and sixth grade we used to play "Smear the Queer" when we got tired of playing our day-in, day-out, 2 year long continuous running football game.

Basically, one guy got the football and ran around until he got tackled or fumbled the ball. Then another guy would pick up the ball and run around until he got tackled or fumbled the ball. Repeat until the recess bell rings.

Scoring, points and teams had nothing to do with this "game". It was just individuals trying to survive.

NoPeak
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
duck duck goose

daryn
03-01-2005, 06:31 PM
In the fifth and sixth grade we used to play "Smear the Queer" when we got tired of playing our day-in, day-out, 2 year long continuous running football game.

Basically, one guy got the football and ran around until he got tackled or fumbled the ball. Then another guy would pick up the ball and run around until he got tackled or fumbled the ball. Repeat until the recess bell rings.

Scoring, points and teams had nothing to do with this "game". It was just individuals trying to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

this game was otherwise known as the simple "kill the kid with the ball"

MicroBob
03-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Yeah...we had Smear the Queer.

Since I was easily the smallest kid in my class that game was true punishment for me.

We had battle-ball and dodge-ball.
Battle-ball was the one where you lined-up on opposite sides of the court in teams, which looks like what most people know was dodge-ball.

Our dodge-ball was the one where everyone is standing up against the wall...and one guy is picking them off one by one.

I was a freaking 4-sqaure god.
There was some sort of loading-dock in the back of our school that was perfectly divided for 4-square so we all kinds of wacky ricochet shots off the different walls around the dock, etc.
We played some serious-ass 4-sqaure in 4th through 6th grade.

My friend and I went to his neighborhood's tennis-courts and invented a game with baseball bats and a basketball. You would get 2 bounces and the tennis service line was the base-line.
THAT was an awesome game. Our arms would kill from wailing on a basketball back and forth with baseball bats. One time the bat slipped out of my friend's hand and helicpotered across the court and nailed me in the shoulder (almost got me in the head).

thatpfunk
03-01-2005, 06:42 PM
As other posters mentioned, you missed some key games here-

Wall ball
Butts Up (suicide, homicide, all similar)
4-square
kickball

We have had some amazing kickball/sloshball tournaments recently involving 40+ kids, costumes (dress as outlandish as possible), and many, many kegs. It is freaking awesome.

Best. Saturdays. Ever.

Ulysses
03-01-2005, 07:32 PM
After reading the descriptions, my Dodgeball vote should apparently be for "Sham-battle" WTF?

M2d
03-01-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After reading the descriptions, my Dodgeball vote should apparently be for "Sham-battle" WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]
which is why you should read it before voting and why the test was put up before the poll. TFB

sthief09
03-01-2005, 07:34 PM
<font color="white"> </font>

deacsoft
03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Dodge ball for sure. I hit my growth spurt early and was huge for my grades until about 7th. I pwn3d at dodgeball. It was Billy Madison time, every time.

daryn
03-01-2005, 07:37 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm convinced that people post their stupid regional dialect crap knowing that nobody but them has heard of it.

wicked convinced.

Ulysses
03-01-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
which is why you should read it before voting and why the test was put up before the poll. TFB

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the best game for PE/recess in elementary school?

That was the poll, with 3 well-known games and one game "sham-battle" that I figured was some crazy Hawaiian game involving pineapples or something. Since the answer was clear to me, I had no need to read the introductory text to provide my answer.

partygirluk
03-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Kisschase.

stabn
03-01-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the best game for PE/recess in elementary school?

That was the poll, with 3 well-known games and one game "sham-battle" that I figured was some crazy Hawaiian game involving pineapples or something. Since the answer was clear to me, I had no need to read the introductory text to provide my answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone figure out the region correlation for correctly calling dodgeball dodgeball and incorrectly calling it sham-ball yet? I haven't bothered, but I wonder just how large a population [censored] up a kids game that badly.

antidan444
03-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Kickball was No. 1 in my book, for two reasons: 1) I was the best soccer player in my elementary school (that changed in a hurry in middle school, and to this day I don't know why), and 2) I had a great knack for dodging the ball whenever the other team tried to plunk me for an out. I could change gears ... I could speed up, stop, fall to the ground stomach-first, and even one time the kid threw it about thigh-level and I timed my leap right, spread my legs at the perfect moment and watched the ball go bounding off the playing field a good 30 yards. Good times (Bill Simmons ripoff line).

(There was the time I attempted this and got pegged right in the nuts. Not good times.)

There was a game of tag my gym teacher had where one person was the tagger, and each person they tagged had to sit down with their arms extended, so that the next run across the gym, you had to avoid the tagger AND all those sitting down. I always made it to the final three or four, and by that time it was a real challenge.

astroglide
03-01-2005, 08:06 PM
i liked the gym crap that involved parachutes, but i don't think that's practiced/legal anymore (flipping kids up on them, hiding under them, etc).

stabn
03-01-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What was it actually called at your school? While i now think the name is [censored], it was definitely called "Smear the queer" at my school.

M2d
03-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I loved this game. the fastest guy in my class also happened to be a dick. I used to take the ball, run away, then, when he was gaining on me, turn and toss it to him. them lay him out.

M2d
03-01-2005, 08:47 PM
a lot of the good stuff we had (parachute stuff, smear the queer, even dodgeball type games) probably aren't allowed any more.

Matty
03-01-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I voted dodgeball before I looked at his weird-ass descriptions.

The Yugoslavian
03-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Anything that involved tackling.

Tackling in elementary school was my specialty.

Yugoslav

daryn
03-01-2005, 08:52 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

What was it actually called at your school? While i now think the name is [censored], it was definitely called "Smear the queer" at my school.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

stabn
03-01-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a lot of the good stuff we had (parachute stuff, smear the queer, even dodgeball type games) probably aren't allowed any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that tag, and probably even hide-and-go-seek are banned these days, you are probably right /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

daryn
03-01-2005, 08:53 PM
i liked the gym crap that involved parachutes, but i don't think that's practiced/legal anymore (flipping kids up on them, hiding under them, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah haha.. we had one of those in elementary school too. always a fun day in gym when "the parachute" came out.

M2d
03-01-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Given that tag, and probably even hide-and-go-seek are banned these days, you are probably right .

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
that's messed up

stabn
03-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Tag banned at british school article. (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005091562,00.html)

JaBlue
03-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Where the [censored] is HANDBALL

antidan444
03-01-2005, 09:06 PM
To this day I've never played handball.

Seen it on TV though; looks awesome.

stabn
03-01-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To this day I've never played handball.

Seen it on TV though; looks awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played some childish variations, but never actual handball either. I love racquetball though, even if it really isn't applicable to this thread.

daryn
03-01-2005, 09:09 PM
as do i. hands down racquetball is my favorite game ever.

antidan444
03-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Actually in fourth grade or so, one day at soccer practice our coach decided to change things up and have a fun day, and we played a "game" where you could use your hands (carry the ball, pass to teammates, etc.) and it totally rocked. There was no tackling though you could try to knock the ball out of the opponent's hands. Mostly it was 22 kids running up and down the field. The score wound up like 16-13 (the goalies in this game had no prayer) ... one of the most enjoyable things I ever did as a kid.

GuyOnTilt
03-01-2005, 09:15 PM
WTF is Sham Battle? Neither version of Dodgeball you described was my favorite. The best one was where there were no teams and no halfcourt boundary. Everyone would start on one of the two endlines and a fixed number of balls, usually three or four depending on the number of players, were lined up on the halfcourt line. Play started when the whistle blew and it would be a race to get the balls. If you were hit with a thrown ball before it touched the ground, you were out of the game until the player that hit you got out. Anybody could pick up an unpossessed ball, including someone who was already in possession of one or more balls. If you went ouside the court lines, except to get a stray ball, you were out. Play stopped when one man was left standing.

This game was sweet. Alliances would form early on between between the good players and there was strategy involved. It was also hard to actually win. If you ever got it down to just two of you, as soon as you killed that guy everybody he killed was now back in the game. So basically in order to win you needed to be the last person to kill every other player in the game. Very hard to do. Three of us were able to win consistently, but I don't think anybody else ever did. We played with between 20 and 30 players and three balls.

GoT

Michael Davis
03-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I liked basketball.

-Michael

Ulysses
03-01-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I loved this game. the fastest guy in my class also happened to be a dick. I used to take the ball, run away, then, when he was gaining on me, turn and toss it to him. them lay him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting strategy. The way we played it, it was considered weak to voluntarily release the ball without getting tackled.

Ulysses
03-01-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you played squash? It's awesome. I like squash a lot more than racquetball.

Reef
03-01-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's sham battle.

Reef
03-01-2005, 10:22 PM
where is kickball? tetherball?

gamblore99
03-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Tag and handball should be on the list. they were awesome.

daryn
03-01-2005, 10:48 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you played squash? It's awesome. I like squash a lot more than racquetball.

[/ QUOTE ]

never.. don't know much about it other than it's almost like rb, and the ball and racquets are different.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting strategy. The way we played it, it was considered weak to voluntarily release the ball without getting tackled.

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn
03-01-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which did you play first? Like dayrn i've only played racquetball but understand the ball/racquet difference.

Brain
03-01-2005, 11:50 PM
We had a variation on "shambattle" (where the hell were you from?) called Bombardment. Same concept with two teams and all, we used Nerf footballs and soccer balls. If you got hit with a ball or tried to catch it and dropped it, you were dead. Anybody still left on the court could throw a ball through the basketball hoop at the opposite end of the court and bring all their dead teammates back on.

MicroBob
03-02-2005, 12:21 AM
somebody mentioned seeing handball on TV.

There are two different kinds of handball.

One is like raquetball except you just bat the ball at the wall with your hand.

Team-Handball is sometimes referred to as just 'handball' and is an actual olympic sport.
It looks like a cross between basketball and soccer I guess (without the water). you pass the ball around and throw at the goal.

I think MOST people here are talking about the first handball...but those who say they've seen it on TV might be thinking of the team-handball which was shown a bit in this past summer's olympic coverage.

I hated freaking tetherball because I was easily a foot shorter than most of my classmates (seriously....when i was 12 I looked no older than 8 or 9). I had no chance in that game.

For that matter....when I tried to tackle someone in smear-the-queer the best I could do was grab on to whoever had the ball and get dragged along and wait for someone else to catch up and finish off the tackle.

To join the other discussion...I'm pretty reasonable at raquetball. I've seen squash but don't really know all the differences in the rules.

The squash-ball looks to be not nearly as lively as the raquetball (and I know it's smaller too...and probably heavier).
I think the base of the front-all is angled or curved some...and there are a couple lines on the wall I think which I'm guessing you have to be over for your serve to count.
I wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime....but it definitely looks to be pretty different from raquetball in some ways.

Did anyone play Ghost in the Graveyard during the evening hours.
It was a hide-and-seek game at night with flashlights.
AWESOME!!!

Hell....I'm ready to get together a group right now and start up a game...except here in mid-town Memphis one is a bit too likely to get shot parttaking in such an activity.

Nottom
03-02-2005, 12:54 AM
My dodgeball game of choice was what we called "Jailball" was played in the gym and you had the standard two teams and a few small rubber balls, not the big four square/kickball balls but ones about the size of those little mini basketballs. Whenever you got hit you had to go to "jail", which was usually the free throw lane. If a member of your team could throw a ball to a jailed teammate who caught it, then they could escape and run back over to their side of the court.

We usually just played kickball or soccer on most days.

Nottom
03-02-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Only girls played 4 Square.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I remembered it as well.

That said, I randomly came across people playing 4-square because they had nothing better to do and they had one of those big red kickballs one day and joined in. Its much more fun when a bunch of grown men are playing it.

Jeff W
03-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Tetherball.

M2d
03-02-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. he only fell for it a couple of times before he caught on, but, I never could catch him if he had a head start, so I took my shot when I had it.

nothumb
03-02-2005, 03:00 AM
Yeah, this game was called Spread. Dropped balls, having your ball caught on the fly, or not hitting the wall on the fly with your toss were all run-to-the-wall offenses. If you got hit with the ball or the ball hit the wall before you did, you got a letter. If you got S-P-R-E-A-D, you had to stand facing the wall and spread your legs and people took turns trying to peg you in the nuts.

Great game, really that's childhood in a nutshell.

NT

lu_hawk
03-02-2005, 03:15 AM
my favorite one we called 'medical war'. like dodgeball where you are on each half of the gym and try to hit each other with balls but in this one when you got hit you had to drop to the ground. then the doctor had to come, put you on one of those little carts, and bring you to the hospital, which was in the corner of the gym. then you got to go back in the game. if the doctor got hit you could only bring him back by shooting a ball at the basket on the far side of the gym and making it.

Gamblor
03-02-2005, 03:31 AM
We called it Red Ass

If the ball makes it to the wall before you touch it you get a letter.

Spell R-E-D-A-S-S and you stand facing the wall while the guy who got you out gets to throw the ball at your ass - if you get hit above the waist you get to throw at him.

partygirluk
03-02-2005, 05:07 AM
btw, wtf are "Red rover" and "Capture the flag"?

daryn
03-02-2005, 05:23 AM
We called it Red Ass

If the ball makes it to the wall before you touch it you get a letter.

Spell R-E-D-A-S-S and you stand facing the wall while the guy who got you out gets to throw the ball at your ass - if you get hit above the waist you get to throw at him.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you guys are pussies. we just played that if the ball hit the wall before you, boom you're up there and the guy who hit the wall throws at you. above the waist? ha. that's obviously where you aim.

Gamblor
03-02-2005, 10:53 AM
we didn't play this game in elementary school, we played it in preschool

by Elementary school we had already started playing

"Chase a rottweiler with a steak",
"Stick your finger in the electric socket",
"hurl insults at the garbageman"
and my personal favourite, "the random bearded dude with the anchor tattoo on the street corner and sharpening that knife? yeah, punch him in the face"

good times