PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 movie

istewart
03-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Over/under on how many years until this comes out and blows away box office records?

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 05:37 PM
I'd imagine that'll happen this year, but I'm sure it'll re-emerge in about 2.5-3 years as well. I'm excited.

istewart
03-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Really? So soon? I'm sure there will be many but there's bound to be one Bruckheimer-esque one /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really? So soon? I'm sure there will be many but there's bound to be one Bruckheimer-esque one /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh wait... I immediately thought you were referring to Michael Moore's movie coming out on DVD. You'll have to excuse me - I'm a little slow.

I actually doubt anything of this sort will hit the big screen any time soon. This is purely a made-for-tv kind of thing, I think.

voltron87b
03-01-2005, 05:46 PM
I think we'll get a half few assed tv ones, but in 10 years or so there will be a blockbuster one.

Dynasty
03-01-2005, 05:47 PM
A made-for-TV movie has already been made (by Showtime, I believe). It may have aired more than a year ago.

istewart
03-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I know about that one. They actually had another that was pretty good, moving I guess you could say. I think that was on NBC or ABC. It had the footage of those guys right under it when it happened.

Bukem_
03-01-2005, 05:56 PM
It wouldn't surprise me, but it would be disgusting if hollywood cashed in by making a big budget 9/11 movie.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't surprise me, but it would be disgusting if hollywood cashed in by making a big budget 9/11 movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

No less disgusting than a lot of others. Pearl Harbor for instance. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of movies about tragic events. What about the Jim Jones Story? Helter Skelter? What's the difference?

istewart
03-01-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably not in the best taste, but I think making a movie about this is a given.

Dynasty
03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with making a good historical film. Do you think Saving Private Ryan was a cynical attempt by Spielberg to cash in on the deaths of soldiers during D-Day fighting? Do you think Spielberg was exploiting the death of the jews during the holocaust when he mad Schindler's List?

AngryCola
03-01-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with making a good historical film. Do you think Saving Private Ryan was a cynical attempt by Spielberg to cash in on the deaths of soldiers during D-Day fighting? Do you think Spielberg was exploiting the death of the jews during the holocaust when he mad Schindler's List?

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it, Dynasty.
Good post.

voltron87b
03-01-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The person writing/directing the movie isn't necessarily cashing in but when it gets sold to a Hollywood distributor (or however it works) somewhere down the line a Hollywood exec will say "Damn we can make a ton of money off a 9/11 flick".

Spielberg can make a good historical movie which is loved by Hollywood execs because it will sell well.

Bukem_
03-01-2005, 06:28 PM
All of those other events lacked the media coverage that 9/11 had. Everyone has repeatedly seen the 9/11 images over and over.

It fits perfectly for documentaries, but there is no need for a hollywood movie.

Dynasty
03-01-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All of those other events lacked the media coverage that 9/11 had.

[/ QUOTE ]

The D-Day invasion lacked media coverate? It was probably the most hyped battle in world history. For two years, citizens and soldiers on both sides were reading about the inevitable battle.

Chobohoya
03-01-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All of those other events lacked the media coverage that 9/11 had. Everyone has repeatedly seen the 9/11 images over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! No one ever saw any pictures from WWII! Eat that Dynasty!

Edit: too slow....

Bukem_
03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
I was referring to constant visual coverage as the event happened.

What is the point in recreating an event on film that is already fully documented by film.

Jack of Arcades
03-01-2005, 06:38 PM
I think it's too early.