PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching from limit to NL

og5
03-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Hey guys,

I started my poker playing about a month ago after reading WLLH and then ITH. I did well at the limits up to .25/50. However I have been playing .50/1 for about 3 weeks now and have not been able to beat that game, I am still under breakeven and it doesn't look like I will be up any time soon.

Yesterday I took a break from limit and tried the .25/.50 NL tables. An hour later I was up $15 (over 2 tables) Today I played another session and was up $10. Maybe this is like the early success I had at the low limit micros, but I think I prefer NL. You are rewarded for playing only premium hands and can actually set the pot odds for the table (though this is a double edged sword) The variance is much higher though, but I think there is a better edge for the experienced player in NL.

Right now I'm undecided which way to go. I could stick it out at limit and hopefully find my leaks. It seems that once you gain the knowledge and experience, multitabling 2/4 or 3/6 limit pays very well. It hasn't worked for me though. I haven't been able to profit even at the .50/1 table so I am considering moving to NL. If anyone's played both of these games, what your advice? My goal is $15 an hour, high variance is ok since I have a relatively large roll. I know both games can make $15/hr at the lower limits, but which game is (relatively) easier to beat?

Thanks

ProfLupin
03-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I don't play much NL, but from what I hear, variance is actually LOWER at NL then at L. You said you have a plenty big bankroll, so pick the game you enjoy the most and the study it diligently. Posting hands here in their proper forums is going to be your next best step regardless of which you chose.

The .5/1.00 games should be easily beatable if you can understand and apply the concepts you've read in WLLHE and ITH, so you probably haven't really applied the concepts correctly yet if you are losing at that level. If you do decide to stick to limit, I'd do some more in depth study of those texts. Good luck!

Greg J
03-01-2005, 05:46 PM
You don't sound too experienced. You do sound overly results oriented, which might stem from inexperience.

I'm not really sure what sort of answer you are looking for. If you are not beating limit .5/1 the answer is probably not a move to NL. If you are talking about Party, there are some serious leaks in your game if you are not winning at .5/1 there. You can still run bad though -- nobody wins everyday.

Other than that, I'm not totally sure what to tell you. If you do decide to stick it out at limit I would suggest you post on the micro forum and lurk on the SS limit forum.

Hope you do well in whatever you decide though.

og5
03-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the helpful posts. You are right that I am too result oriented. As far as my experience level I have about 2000 hands at .50/1 which is not a lot but also not a little. I try to follow ITH's preflop chart although sometimes I may loosen it up a little (example would be playings 87s in late position with 3 callers, where the charts says to call with 4) I think the chart is too tight because I tend to lose money slowly through the blinds. And most of all, folding postflop when nothing hits. Weak tight I know but when I try to play aggressive then I really lose money. SSH is coming in the mail, hopefully it will help me better understand my leaks.

About NL being lower variance, are you sure? It's been crazy for me, yesterday at one of my tables I doubled my money before busting out when someobody cracked my full house with 4 3's. And he called my preflop raise with pocket 3's? My other table I almost tripled my stack before I got out. Todays's results were similiar. A total rollercoaster ride it's been

ProfLupin
03-01-2005, 06:20 PM
2000 hands is way too small a sample size to know anything of value. Some very good proven winners on this forum have had downswings over 25,000 hands or more.

Again, I don't play much no limit, this is just what I've heard from good players with experience at both limit and no limit.

Keep rereading your books and really study SSHE when it arrives. Post flop play is way more important to your win rate than pre-flop play, maybe focus on those sections. Make sure you really understand pot odds because it is the key to winning at the micro-limits.