PDA

View Full Version : College Advice.

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Here's the situation. I'm a second semester freshmen in college at the moment. I've got 8 hours earned last semester (after dropping 6 hours) with a 2.75 GPA. I'm currently on the HOPE scholarship which pays my tuition and some other things. This requires me to maintain a 3.0 GPA. It is pretty crucial I keep this scholarship because my family is middle/lower class and can't afford to send me to school. So I'd have to take out a few loans. Roughly $6000 per semester. So I'm working on bringing my GPA back up.

I've now found out that I am failing Precalculus with only 2 more tests left in the semester. I have a 55 in the class at the moment. If I stay in Precalculus the minimum I can get would be a C. Or else it would be pretty detrimental to my already shaky GPA. The reason I'm not doing well though is because I've missed so much of class, not because I don't understand the material.

However, if I drop Precalc now, with my remaining classes and the grades I expect to make in them (based on my current grades) I am almost 90% sure that my GPA will be above a 3.0 next semester. And then I would be able to retain my scholarship.

But I'm already a semester behind, and this class is a basic core class that I will have to take if I want to advance in my major (Computer Science). So, my question is: Should I try and stick it out and bring up the 55 or, should I drop the class and just focus on bringing my GPA up this semester and not worry about being a semester behind?

sexypanda
03-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Dude, you're in college and taking precalculus?

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm pretty sure there's some good stuff here (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/) that can help.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Bring WoW back post-haste. It's sad how many of my freshman class didn't make it through freshman year because they blew their life on MMORPGs and other video games. Don't go that way.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Atta boy.

mmbt0ne
03-01-2005, 05:04 PM
I would definitely think drop it.

Seriously, getting HOPE back is hard as balls, and you're going to get evaluated after this semester because of the new rules. However, you have to complete at least 2/3 (I think) of the hours you sign up for in order to stay eligible too, so don't just go dropping any and everything.

voltron87b
03-01-2005, 05:05 PM
My gut tells me give it up, if you're in college and struggling with precal, you'll have trouble bringing up that 55. An extra semester ain't too bad if the alternative is losing a scholarship, etc.

Boris
03-01-2005, 05:05 PM
I hope this is a troll. In case it's not... Yer a fckin idiot and you need to get your shyt together quickly. Drop the precalc class (I can't believe you're on scholarship and not going to class). Bite the bullet next two semesters and take a heavy class load to get yourself back on track. Start going to 100% of your classes 100% of the time. Force yourself to study a minimum of 1 hour every night. If your GPA doesn't go up 3.00 after this change your major to psychology or mass communications. If this still doesn't work there is no hope for you.

ChoicestHops
03-01-2005, 05:09 PM
I would make sure you can't lose scholarhips or aid if you drop too many classes.

Talk to a counselor at your school.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm an engineer and getting through all the calc classes was the key to getting through the curriculum on time. I'd imagine it's much the same in CS. That said, it's not the worst thing in the world if you're a semester behind. If you really have no chance to bring up your grade in pre-calc, I'd drop it and get the GPA. Isn't it quite a bit late to be able to drop a class without it showing something bad on your record, though? Also, isn't there a minimum number of credits you have to pull to keep the scholarship? 8 credits isn't even full-time, is it? I don't know the specifics of HOPE, but there is a bit of wiggle room, however, in most of these cases. There generally is a bit of leniency with these scholarships if your GPA isn't tanked too bad and you bring it back up the next term. I have experience helping my ex-gf write letters to scholarship committees to keep her money when her grades weren't so hot. I suspect you'll find yourself writing one or two of these yourself in the future. You better have something to make a good case for yourself.

Here's the father-knows-best crap you don't want to hear. The fact that you only pulled 8 credits your first term and you're already dropping because you're not attending class and putting the work in looks really bad for you in more ways than one. First, it's going to be hard to just turn it around. Everyone says "oh yeah, I'll for sure do better next term" or whatever, but it rarely happens. Also, if you want some leniency with your scholarship, this is a terrible way to start out. You need to realize what you're doing here and get to work. This isn't high school any more and what you do in the next four years or so is actually important - work now and you can cruise the rest of your life.

bosoxfan
03-01-2005, 05:14 PM
You should quit school and become an internet poker pro.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Brilliant.

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Awesome, these responses are great so far. I especially like this PM I got shortly after I posted.

from granny50

[ QUOTE ]

I can help you out. I can offer you private online lessons via messenger or AOL. For more information here's my (beta) website:
http://www.2hot2cool.com/11/shehzad20/index.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

sexypanda: yes I am taking precalc in college, my high school advisor [censored] me over and instead of taking it in high school they put me in Algebra 3. So it didn't count as exempting it.

jakethebake: Quarter mid-life crisis.. hmm thats interesting. Maybe I should buy a $60,000 car and forget about college.

Patrick: About to go buy WoW now, cheers!

mmbt0ne: I'm guessing you are a GA resident as well. I know I'm getting evaluated this semester, but I never heard about the 2/3 class rule. Can you show me a link?

voltron: My gut is telling me that as well.

Boris: No, I'm not a troll, I'm just starting to post in OOT more than the strat forums. Thanks for the comments. I'm still trying to adjust to college which is why I didn't go to 100% of my classes. Parents were assholes so I enjoyed my freedom a little bit too much, sue me. Oh and the HOPE scholarship is a regular Georgia thing. Every high school student who graduates with a 3.0 or above gets it. Not a huge deal to get. Not changing my major, there's nothing else I would rather do than computers. It's what I enjoy in life. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

ChoicestHops: I'm going to talk to my advisor tomorrow and make sure that I can drop these classes and keep Hope if my GPA is good.

Patrick: Yea, calc blows. I was actually thinking of doing a dual-major in engineering but I decided against it because it was an extremem amount of work. 18 hour semesters minimum.

Yea, I know I [censored] up dropping so many classes. Not going to class has already cost me two classes so far this semester. Another one I missed a paper and a quiz on the same day, so my 90 average went to a 30.
Last semester I started with 15 hours and ended with 8, and this semester I started with 12 and will be ending with 7 probably.

That's what my Dad says too about working now so you don't have to in the future. Good advice, I'm trying to take it.

bosoxfan: Dude, you are so right. Screw college.

Edge34
03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
PdPG,

Great freakin' post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

FYI: Technically, 12 credit-hours is full-time.

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, because I started both semesters off with 12 hours, I am still full-time.

Emmitt2222
03-01-2005, 05:20 PM
^ What he said, especially the father-knows-best crap.
8 credits in one semester is a joke. What are you doin with all of that freaking time. I took 12 credits last semester and I felt like a bum. It sounds like you really need to get your priorities straight, I would hope that urgency to keep your scholarship would be enough but apparently thats not even getting the job done. You need to figure out what you are doing in life, why you should be motivated and do it right now. I say drop that precalc class now and work your ass off in the coming years, I know plenty of kids who have done college in 3 years so you can still do it in 4 if you pick it up. Sorry to sound harsh, but from the sounds of it you are one freakin' slacking freshman who needs a swift kick in the ass.
I honestly do hope that it all works out for you, good luck.
O yah, you already have over double the posts I do and you've been a member for 2 months, lay off the boards a little.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I thought - that's what it was when I went to school, but I thought maybe GT (you going to G. Tech, Caruso?) counted things a little differently.

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I am a bum at the moment. I have no drive. No motivation to get a job so I have any spending cash. No motivation to get up for class (hence why I missed so many). It sounds stupid but yea I'm pretty damn lazy. I want to be a computer programmer as a career, or something in IT, that is why I'm a Comp Sci major.

Yea, I do need a kick in the ass I guess. I've gotten plenty so far though.

Most of my posts are from SSNL forum. When you see the majority of my posts lacking any substance then tell me to lay off the boards.

Patrick: I'm going to Georgia College and State University.

shadow29
03-01-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mmbt0ne
03-01-2005, 05:26 PM
The only line I can find is that you must be

"Be making satisfactory academic progress."

I don't know if there's anything more concrete than that, but I know that my friend lost it when he only completed about 40% of his required hours. I just pulled that 2/3 number out of my ass.

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Well out of 27 hours, I'll complete 15. The only thing I heard is that dropping classes doesn't hurt your HOPE GPA or if you receive it or not, but you are alotted a certain number of HOPE hours. 128. So the classes I dropped drain those hours. That is the only reprocussion I know of.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW this is what I'm doing as a part-time job already and will be doing full-time over the Summer.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Seriously, if you honestly care about pulling your grades back up, you'll forget that WoW ever existed. If you pick up WoW, I'll definitely take the under on your GPA.

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Over/Under 3.0 by the end of the semester.

1:2 Under
4:1 Over

Place your bets!

Edge34
03-01-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Most of my posts are from SSNL forum. When you see the majority of my posts lacking any substance then tell me to lay off the boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emmitt's point, since you seem like you're taking a pretty big attitude (and judging by your current academic situation):

You admit to having no motivation to even get out of bed to go to class, but you've found enough time in about 2 months to make 700 posts. Even myself - I've made slightly over 1k in almost a year and a half. Each post may not take that much time by itself, but it can add up. I know, trust me - when I'm having trouble in classes (and I've been there), this was the first thing to go.

There needs to be some kind of priority in your life, especially now. As a freshman right out of high school, I kinda blew off my first semester (and I didn't even know about this place), and you seem like you're kinda doing the same thing. There's plenty of a chance to fix it, but you have to do it for yourself. There's certainly nobody here that can make you do it, only try to give you suggestions...

mmbt0ne
03-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Hey man, 15 hours in one year...just pretend you interned for a semester, and it'll all be gravy.

Good luck with the grades.

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Yea edge, I took it the same way I took the troll comment. But I guess he was saying I'm spending time on 2+2 that I could be studying. Sure, I could. And I'm working on bringing poker down on the priorities list at the moment. So with that 2+2 will come down too. Poker and 2+2 are just two things I enjoy and both take up a lot of my free time right now.

pudley4
03-01-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's the situation. I'm a second semester freshmen in college at the moment. I've got 8 hours earned last semester (after dropping 6 hours) with a 2.75 GPA. I'm currently on the HOPE scholarship which pays my tuition and some other things. This requires me to maintain a 3.0 GPA. It is pretty crucial I keep this scholarship because my family is middle/lower class and can't afford to send me to school. So I'd have to take out a few loans. Roughly $6000 per semester. So I'm working on bringing my GPA back up.

I've now found out that I am failing Precalculus with only 2 more tests left in the semester. I have a 55 in the class at the moment. If I stay in Precalculus the minimum I can get would be a C. Or else it would be pretty detrimental to my already shaky GPA. The reason I'm not doing well though is because I've missed so much of class, not because I don't understand the material.

However, if I drop Precalc now, with my remaining classes and the grades I expect to make in them (based on my current grades) I am almost 90% sure that my GPA will be above a 3.0 next semester. And then I would be able to retain my scholarship.

But I'm already a semester behind, and this class is a basic core class that I will have to take if I want to advance in my major (Computer Science). So, my question is: Should I try and stick it out and bring up the 55 or, should I drop the class and just focus on bringing my GPA up this semester and not worry about being a semester behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Precalc? In college? Comp Sci major? These 3 things seem incompatible.

Also:

[ QUOTE ]
Reged: 01/12/05

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the fck out of here and don't come back until after the end of the semester. This is a ridiculous amount of time you've wasted, and you can see the results already. You've got zero chance of making it if you keep doing what you're doing. Zero.

(Yes, I'm being a dick. I don't care.)

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 05:43 PM
How do they seem incompatible?

I came here and wanted to get better at poker. I am getting better, so I'm going to continue to post. It's not time wasted in my mind. I asked for advice, not dickhead demands.

DemonDeac
03-01-2005, 05:44 PM
how are you not going to your pre-calc class with so little credits? what are you doing with yourself?

and am i the only one who thought calc I and calc II were easy
how can you be failing pre-calc? its the same as algebra II.

my advice: take summer classes

DemonDeac
03-01-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Reged: 01/12/05

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the fck out of here and don't come back until after the end of the semester. This is a ridiculous amount of time you've wasted, and you can see the results already. You've got zero chance of making it if you keep doing what you're doing. Zero.

(Yes, I'm being a dick. I don't care.)

[/ QUOTE ]

im gonna have to agree with Jeff A. here

gamblore99
03-01-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Start going to 100% of your classes 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found this to be very good advice.

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Sleeping, playing poker, spending time with the girlfriend, posting on 2+2, playing video games, etc.

I am going to be taking two Maymester courses. English 2 and hopefully again Precalculus. Then I am planning on studying abroad next year and getting my foreign language and an art class under my belt.

[ QUOTE ]
im gonna have to agree with Jeff A. here

[/ QUOTE ]
As most people will, but I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon. Sorry.

beerbandit
03-01-2005, 05:47 PM
drink beer

Michael Davis
03-01-2005, 05:47 PM
This is not a difficult choice. Drop the math class. It will surely save you money in the long run; even if you have to pay for that one class later on because you need to go an extra semester, you won't have to pay for ALL of your classes.

-Michael

Edge34
03-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Caruso,

Since you showed a little planning at least in your previous reply to me, I'm gonna have to say it one more time. Jeff may come off like a dick, but he's right.

Think of it in poker terms. The EV of getting better at poker (in addition to only being short term) is MUCH lower than the EV of straightening out your college stuff. Plus, once you get back on track, you'll have a lot more fun with your entire life, because you won't have to worry about your grades while you're playing/posting (which apparently you do, at least a little).

Then again, if you fail out, you'll have plenty of time to play and post.

Just get it done - everybody here that's replied in a serious way knows what they're talking about. They've either been there or in some cases are there (like me - school comes first right now). I suggest removing all poker programs from your computer for at least the next month - I know how it seems, but you're a second semester frosh, how many costs could you have? You'll have money for ramen and laundry. Get your classes taken care of, and do whatever it takes to keep your GPA up. Gonna be tough, but sometimes you have to make the tough calls. There'll be plenty of soft games for you to play when you get back.

Good luck.

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not a difficult choice. Drop the math class. It will surely save you money in the long run; even if you have to pay for that one class later on because you need to go an extra semester, you won't have to pay for ALL of your classes.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm going to do. As well as going to 100% of my classes 100% of the time now. I am going to take 3-6 hours of courses over Maymester so that will help me get a few of those core courses behind me. If I happen to lose the scholarship I will just get as many student loans as I need and deal with them later in life. Finishing college with loans is still +EV compared to not finishing IMO. Worst comes to worst I'm going to transfer to the 2-year college here in town and finish my core their, then transfer back to GCSU to finish my major curriculum.

I'm going to continue playing poker and posting here on 2+2 because poker is something I would like to do as part of my income in the future (on the side, not pro) and I want to improve as much as I can. I'll try to ease up on the boards a little bit I guess.

*EDIT* Edge, I know. I'm going to try to slow down on the poker because it is taxing on my life, and not just school. I know I'm addicted to it, but I can't quit cold turkey and I would like to keep playing later in my life. But just not as much so. I'm working on cutting down my hours per day. I've gone from about 6-10 to 2-4 now in the last few weeks. Oh, and don't suggest GA.

Thanks for everyone's advice (even the dickhead advice which was taken with a grain of salt). I'll try my best to not [censored] up anymore, keep my scholarship, and graduate semi-on time.

[ QUOTE ]
drink beer

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't. I'm an alcoholic and I've been dry for about 3 months. Besides, I prefer liquor.

DemonDeac
03-01-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an alcoholic

[/ QUOTE ]

good lord uve got a lot of problems to deal with
u need to get ur life in order

MarkL444
03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, if you honestly care about pulling your grades back up, you'll forget that WoW ever existed. If you pick up WoW, I'll definitely take the under on your GPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very very true. having the above knowledge, if you still go out and buy this game you are basically saying that you dont really give a [censored] and are destined to lose your scholarship.

turnipmonster
03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
what kind of CS program lets you take precalc your freshman year, study art and language abroad for a year and still graduate close to on time?

Caruso329
03-01-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an alcoholic

[/ QUOTE ]

good lord uve got a lot of problems to deal with
u need to get ur life in order

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say I was an alcoholic, because I don't drink anymore, but most of the fucktards at AA (never been, quit with my family's help) say that once you're an alcoholic you're always an alcoholic. So that's why I said I was.

I have an addictive lifestyle. Oops.

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of CS program lets you take precalc your freshman year, study art and language abroad for a year and still graduate close to on time?

[/ QUOTE ]

God bless Liberal Arts colleges. I'm studying abroad during the summer semester, which I wouldn't take classes during anyways. So it's extra work. Precalc is just because I didn't take it in High School because my counselor was a dumbass. So I have to take it before Calc.

M2d
03-01-2005, 06:05 PM
as others have said, get your crap together. probably one of my biggest mistakes in school was screwing around too much when I had newfound freedom (that and finding a trout stream 20 minutes from school and a bass stream 2 minutes from school).
get the GPA if doing so will keep you qualified for the scholarship. if not, and it looks like you're losing it regardless, stay in school and take out the loans. the 50K you'll owe at the end looks huge now, but it isn't much in the real world, and easily manageable once you have the degree and are working. With the degree, you should advance pretty quickly, so the monthly cost will get smaller and smaller (relatively). without the degree, you may find yourself stuck in one position for a long time without meaningful pay increases.

JoeC
03-01-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm in for about $100 on the under, does anyone want to bet me?

mason55
03-01-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sleeping, playing poker, spending time with the girlfriend, posting on 2+2, playing video games, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see drinking or doing massive amounts of drugs on this list. if you're going to fail out of college, at least make it because you're doing stuff you can only do in college. You can read 2+2 and play poker and bone your girl after college. At least have some really cool stories to tell the guys at McDonald's after you fail out.

-recently graduated CS major starting work on monday

edit: missed the alcoholic thing. maybe cocaine is more up your alley? you'll be a lot more productive and when you've been up all night blowing lines and have nothing to do you'll just go to class. or at least that's what i think would happen.

Edge34
03-01-2005, 06:57 PM
I think we're all forgetting one other thing...

Now I'm gonna sound like a dick, but girls really hate guys who do nothing with their lives but play video games and read 2+2. Failing out of college would put a MAJOR damper on that one...

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Now I'm gonna sound like a dick, but girls really hate guys who do nothing with their lives but play video games and read 2+2. Failing out of college would put a MAJOR damper on that one...

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought that was implied?

InchoateHand
03-01-2005, 07:11 PM
I didn't really feel like reading this, but go to class. Its that [censored] easy. Do your work. You should be mature enough to WANT to be in college by now. If you are not, drop out.

Edge34
03-01-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought that was implied?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least we were just forgetting to say it, and reading his description of all the things he does BESIDES going to class kinda made me think that it should be said...

The Goober
03-01-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Precalc? In college? Comp Sci major? These 3 things seem incompatible.

[/ QUOTE ]How do they seem incompatible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are missing something big here. For being a programmer, I *really* suck at math, but everything up through multivariable calculus was still extremely easy for me. If you actually have to work and study in order to do well in precalc, you should probably find a new major. I'm really not trying to be a dick here, just trying to save you from a miserable time.

In school, I had a lot of the same problems you did. I went to very few classes, couldn't stay motivated and failed a couple of classes (math classes, go figure), etc.. etc... I still managed to do well, though, and the reason is that I found what I loved doing and focused all of my classes on that. Writing papers and studying for exams felt like "work" and I hated it - spending night after night in the CS lab writing code was pure joy for me, and its the only reason I managed to get through at all.

Corey
03-01-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you actually have to work and study in order to do well in precalc, you should probably find a new major.

[/ QUOTE ]

WillMagic
03-01-2005, 08:24 PM
I agree with the sentiment that you should drop your precalc class...it seems like a really clear decision to me if your scholarship is at stake.

But one thing I've noticed is that you intend to continue to play and get better at poker...just know that this goal does not work well at all with the 100% of classes all the time goal (and this comes from very recent experience.)

When you get better at poker...class continues to look less and less appealing. Motivation really becomes an issue. Before poker entered my life, I was at least able to competently attend class, complete some assignments, and do ok. But once I started spending time learning poker...that goes out the window...classes become much harder to attend as you start to put a dollar value on your time.

Now, even though for most of the population this is a bad thing, it isn't absolute, as I'm happier and more successful playing poker full-time than I was going to school full-time. I really couldn't find any subject that I enjoyed in college. If you go down ZeeJustin's 20 reasons why he isn't in college, I feel that at least fifteen are true for me. I know a number of other posters who are in a similar boat. But know that if you do want to get into CS, if you do want to be successful in your major and in college as a whole, then poker will make that goal much harder to reach.

So, you really need to decide what you want here...and this decision can't come from what your parents will think. If what you want is a CS major and a career in the field, if you want to complete college successfully...then you might want to drop not just your precalc course but also your 2+2 course.

Will

pudley4
03-01-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you actually have to work and study in order to do well in precalc, you should probably find a new major.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pshreck
03-01-2005, 10:56 PM
This has been somewhat addressed... but it still confused me.

How in the hell are you a scholarship student, and at the same time taking pre calculus in college? I finished Calc 1, 2, and 3 in highschool, and wasn't like some math genius or anything. My college allowed you to take Pre calc if you hadnt taken it in highschool (again I dont know how you are in college if you didnt), but you didnt even get college credit.

And this statement bothered me, " The reason I'm not doing well though is because I've missed so much of class, not because I don't understand the material. How did you get in the nature of skipping classes in your freshman year? I honestly didnt know freshman who skipped too many classes, that usually doesnt start until sophmore year when you know what is going on.

Anyways, good luck with keeping a scholarship, but it seems unlikely you will.

Corey
03-01-2005, 11:53 PM
I know this thread is kinda dying, but it must be said that any self respecting CS major shouldn't have to go to a precalculus class to pass. Most don't have to go and could still get an A/B. There is no way you can understand the material and not pass even without going to class. I mean, do your homework, do well on the tests, you don't need to sit through lecture. Of course, this is assuming you actually understand the material.

I never went to lecture after the first one for my differential equations class but did the homework, learned and understood the needed material with a little help from my TA at times, and ended up with an A-. I was a CS major for my freshman year and all of my CS major friends and I looked at calculus classes as GPA boosters that they didn't even have to go to.

NLSoldier
03-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Hey Caruso,

I'm also a freshamn in college. So I can relate to having no motivation and all that stuff, but there is really no excuse for failing precalc. It is not a hard class. (I took it in 8th grade and did fine). Get your crap together. GO to class and DO the assignments and you should be able to pull your grade up no problem.

Also, stop wasting so much time on 2+2, its a terrible habit to get into /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ClaytonN
03-02-2005, 12:00 AM
What NLSoldier said.

I've got a few friends that are going to GCSU next year (and I know a couple of people that are freshman there this year). Me, I'm going to UGA.

I play poker a lot, but that doesn't stop me from getting good grades. Just as you expect to get better from poker by doing it a lot, conversely you should expect to get better grades if you bust your ass on the books.

Just bust your ass, and by the time you'll graduate you'll be glad you did, because there's little room for error when you're out of college without a diploma, unless you've got ZeeJustin-like smarts/capabilities.

Shilly
03-02-2005, 12:37 AM
I didn't read past the first few replies, but here goes nothing.

I'm also a freshman in college. I have a scholarship somewhat similar to yours, but it only pays half of my tuition each year if I maintain a 3.0.

I would classify myself as an extremely unmotivated and lazy person up to this point (I did put more effort into HS, but not by much). I'm taking 12 credits this semester and I took 12 last semester. Like most of the young college guys on this forum, I'm sure that I play more hours of poker than I spend in class. I do about 3 hours of homework per week and only study for a few hours before midterms. For some people, having work ethic like this would put them on academic probation, or maybe even flunk out. For some reason or another, I can pull it off. The key is, if you AREN'T able to do this, you have to change your ways, or you're destined for failure. Recognizing that you're behind is a huge key to success in college.

I have no idea how you can be so behind having only 8 credits. I have 12 credits, and my schedule is a joke. To turn your semester around, I recommend you:

1) Drop the Calc class (if it won't affect your scholarship).
2) Go to every class.
3) Go to the library to do any work (I just started going to the library--it's amazing how productive you can be without the distraction of poker, TV, computer, drinking, girls, etc.)
4) Find someone who can explain how to do anything you don't understand, be it your TA or a friend. Don't let yourself get behind.

Also, I would seriously consider your choice for a major. Math/Logic skills are SO important in programming (I'm in an Intro to Programming class right now, and it's extremely challenging). If you're struggling with your pre-calc class, you need to either a) find another way to learn the material, or b) pick a different major. I have no doubts in my mind that you can maintain a 3.0 if you actually follow what I said before. Good luck.

wonderwes
03-03-2005, 08:08 AM
I have been in school far far too long. I will hopefully be out by the end of this year. Words of advice.

Community college credits count the same and you can easily get rid of easy freshman/soph classes, and cheaper. Books are always hella cheaper on eBay. To not shop on ebay is only making you pay more for the damn books. You have to never miss class. No matter what, always be there. Have afternoon, and if available, evening classes all the time. I have never seen when going in to talk to a professor has ever hurt your grade situation. Dont have class on Friday. Always have friends proofread papers. Change the class instantly (1st day) if you already know the professor is horrible.

I can understand your frustration with PreCal. Some people just really do bad in math. Focus, and just get at least a C to receive passing credit.

jason_t
03-03-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a CS major in college and this is an absolutely true statement. You will not survive this major if precalculus is difficult.

Gronk
03-03-2005, 11:29 AM
I have a BS in Comp. Sci. and I'm going to give you the advice that I wish someone had given me.

Let me preface this by saying that I am in no way affiliated with the military. Join the Air National Guard.

There are a few reasons why you should do this. First off, you will receive a top secret security clearance from the ANG for a good number of the jobs that you can do while in the ANG. These days in our industry, college degrees are a dime a dozen. If you think grades don't matter, try getting a job with no experience that 200 other people are applying for who graduated with honors. Clearances make you valuable and you will have zero problem finding a job making 25% more than you would if you didn't have a clearance.

Second, you mentioned money troubles and how you might lose your scolarship. If you join the ANG, you will get tuition assistance from them which may end up covering all of your expenses.

Third, you're a slacker and you need the structure and discipline. They'll give you all the kicks in the butt you need.

Fourth, you won't have to miss any time in school. If you tell a recruiter that you will join on the condition that you go to boot camp between semesters during the summer, I'm sure they'd oblige you.

You should join and be one of the guys who loads/unloads planes. I have several friends who do that and that's a guaranteed clearance because you have to handle nuclear weapons from time to time.

Some people may say you might get deployed to active duty for a while. This is a definite possibility but if you do and you are a plane loader, you will be countries away from the fighting.

Hope whatever you do works out for you.

BeerMoney
03-03-2005, 12:05 PM
I don't want to go on insulting the original poster here. But, far too many students in SC and GA are on scholarship. They don't understand basic math, but yet they are top notch scholarship students?

As for my advice. Get yer act together NOW. You aren't going to get a computer science degree by being a lazy ass. And as someone with a 55 in pre calc, poker probably wouldn't be a good back up plan.

Sporky
03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was a CS major for my freshman year and all of my CS major friends and I looked at calculus classes as GPA boosters that they didn't even have to go to.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely. math should be cake for you if you expect to make it. there is a lot of math in the major. i think i had to take 1 maybe 2 extra classes to get a math minor with my CS degree. buckle in sir.

mmbt0ne
03-03-2005, 01:52 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I don't want to go on insulting the original poster here. But, far too many students in SC and GA are on scholarship. They don't understand basic math, but yet they are top notch scholarship students?

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you rather us do with the lottery money? This scholarship is giving people who would be serving fries at McDonalds the chance to get a degree, and hopefully do something better with their lives.

The lottery was set up in GA for this purpose. Not to give it to just the best and the brightest, but to let everyone who has shown to have at least the drive to get through high school with good grades the opportunity to continue their education. No one is getting a Rhode's Scholarship out of this deal, just tuition coverage at a public in-state university.

young nut
03-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Drop the class. I've had hope all throughout college and it is essential that you keep it. Getting it back is a pain the arss. You are ony allotted a certain amount of hours for HOPE, but you will just have to pay out of pocket for your last 12 or so hours before you graduate. And for god sakes go to class. You don't want to screw your GPA up in your first two years, that is where you need to get it high and then just coast the rest of the way.

2planka
03-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Maybe it would be a good thing if you did lose the scholarship. I paid my own way through school and that was all the motivation I needed to get my tuckus to class.

pshreck
03-03-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it would be a good thing if you did lose the scholarship. I paid my own way through school and that was all the motivation I needed to get my tuckus to class.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have proper motivation, but I tend to disagree with that on a broad level. I have seen scholarship students, and kids who are taking out loans and paying their way. The scholarship students seem much more likely to take everything seriously, and not screw up what has been given to them. The kids with loans think they have no one to dissapoint but themselves, and in some cases I have seen severe slacking and too much partying.