PDA

View Full Version : basic plhe tourney question

09-16-2002, 06:42 AM
middle-stage of a freezeout plhe tournament. you have kk under the gun and raise. the loose aggressive player immediately to your left rereaises you. he probably does not have aa- he would likely do this with ak, qq and maybe even jj and aqs. everyone folds back to you. the raise is exactly half what you have in front of you, and he has the same amount of chips. you know he won't fold if you reraise. would you call, or raise all-in? what if you were certain he had ak (which he did, in the real version)?

Greg (FossilMan)
09-16-2002, 11:21 AM

09-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Given the wide range of hands you specified (AA, KK, QQ, AK, JJ, AQs), going all-in pre-flop is best. You dominate everything but AA, which he'll have less than 1 in 5 times. Even if he'll do this with only AA, KK, AK, QQ, you I'd usually go all-in. The only exception would be if the two of you had very very large stacks or if it was close to the money.

If I knew my opponent had AK, I would say that it depended upon my opponent. If he was very likely to bet if checked to on the flop, then calling is best, since you can get away if an ace falls, and otherwise check-raise him. I would probably do this any of his holdings (QQ, JJ, AQs) if I knew for certain which hand he held.