PDA

View Full Version : Question About Ticket/Car Insurance.

Skip Brutale
03-01-2005, 03:01 PM
The Man gave me a ticket today for going 70 in a 55. I'm 22, insurance is already 200 a month, and I was in an accident last year. The cop said I could go to traffic school but don't have to, I'm assuming I would go to traffic school to avoid paying a fine.

I'm not so worried about the fine (how much will it even be?) but about my damn insurance rates. How much do you guys think it will go up? 300 would suck but if it goes to 400 I'm just going to have to sell the car.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Some places taking the Driver Safety course gets the ticket wiped clean, in which case it even makes your insurance cost godown. Otherwise hire a traffic lawyer. They'll get you off most times.

stabn
03-01-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Man gave me a ticket today for going 70 in a 55. I'm 22, insurance is already 200 a month, and I was in an accident last year. The cop said I could go to traffic school but don't have to, I'm assuming I would go to traffic school to avoid paying a fine.

I'm not so worried about the fine (how much will it even be?) but about my damn insurance rates. How much do you guys think it will go up? 300 would suck but if it goes to 400 I'm just going to have to sell the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Washington also has a sweet law where you pay a fee and the ticket goes off your record for a year. If you don't get caught for any violations in the next year it is off your record for good. If you do, it goes back on and you pay the full fine value of the ticket.

It's a sweet get out of insurance hell card if you are willing to chill out on the speeding for a year. Unfortunately for me i learned about it after i paid my fine and was summarily raped by insurance when someone plowed into me a year later.

Skip Brutale
03-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Well this sounds better than I expected, hopefully I can get this [censored] off my record. At the end when the officer asked me to sign the ticket or whatever it was, I probably shouldn't have signed it. If you refuse to sign the ticket form what will happen? It's probably just easier to have a lawyer get you out of it.

stabn
03-01-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well this sounds better than I expected, hopefully I can get this [censored] off my record. At the end when the officer asked me to sign the ticket or whatever it was, I probably shouldn't have signed it. If you refuse to sign the ticket form what will happen? It's probably just easier to have a lawyer get you out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just sign the ticket. In washington that's simply proof that you received the ticket, not that you are guilty. I believe it's the same for california, but i don't know that for sure.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just sign the ticket. In washington that's simply proof that you received the ticket, not that you are guilty. I believe it's the same for california, but i don't know that for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the same everywhere. That's all it means. If you read what you signed it says it's not an admission of guilt.

stabn
03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the same everywhere. That's all it means. If you read what you signed it says it's not an admission of guilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pretty damn sure that was the case everywhere, but i hate stating something as fact if i'm not 100% sure /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

M2d
03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
just go to T school. they're everywhere and pretty much a waste of a day, but it's worth it to get the ticket off of your record.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just go to T school. they're everywhere and pretty much a waste of a day, but it's worth it to get the ticket off of your record.

[/ QUOTE ]
We used to have one locally that was at a comedy club and hired comedians to teach it. It wasn't too bad.

Skip Brutale
03-01-2005, 04:18 PM
From what I've read it sounds like the best way to fight the ticket is all through the mail, since the cop doesn't get paid to write a report and it is a paperwork hassle that may be dismissed.

But if I try that and am just found guilty, can I then attend traffic school and get it off my record. Or will I be screwed?