PDA

View Full Version : Was this add-on neccessary?

SlyR
03-01-2005, 02:47 PM
I was in a $5 rebuy NL tourney at PokerStars. I started with one buy-in plus one add-on. At the break I was 23rd of 412 players. Blinds were about to increase to 75/150 and I had approximately 17000 in chips. 5 dollars gets 2k. I added on, but was it a mistake?

03-01-2005, 02:55 PM
I ALWAYS add on in the small rebuy tourneys. I don't know if it's +EV or not, but everyone else at the table is, so I want to keep pace.

Gavin G

LethalRose
03-01-2005, 03:06 PM
17k after first break? nice.
my record is 14k

oh yea, id rebuy.

betgo
03-01-2005, 03:18 PM
If you are doing well, all the more reason to add on. You have a shot at the big money. I know Sklansky says otherwise.

I played that tournament and was the chip leader for a significant time twice in a row. However, I didn't make the final table either time. One of the times I had a lot of chips at the rebuy. The other time I had less than 3000 before the addon.

ZeeJustin
03-01-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I ALWAYS add on in the small rebuy tourneys. I don't know if it's +EV or not, but everyone else at the table is, so I want to keep pace.

Gavin G

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this advice so many times, but it's just flat out wrong. I think that if you have about 15,000 chips or more, it becomes -ev to rebuy. It does depend on some outside factors too, but 15,000 is a good benchmark.

schwza
03-01-2005, 03:22 PM
the add-on comes at a significant discount compared to the buy-in, which is why i always add on.

woodguy
03-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Does anyone else remember a Fossilman post that reasoned that you should add-on every time except when you have 10% of the chips or more?

Regards,
Woodguy

schwza
03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Gavin G

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this advice so many times, but it's just flat out wrong. I think that if you have about 15,000 chips or more, it becomes -ev to rebuy. It does depend on some outside factors too, but 15,000 is a good benchmark.

[/ QUOTE ]

i assume you mean this number to be stars-specific?

gotti
03-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Sly

I usually always add on, doesnt matter if I have 20k or 5k. I prefer a big stack, and to have alot of chips to make moves with.

I believe we were at the same table for awhile yesterday.

yoadrians
03-01-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Gavin G

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to argue with Zee, he's the man, and his results prove it. I guess my only thought is, that if I'm fortunate enough to be alive late in the tournament but happen to be short-stacked near the bubble, or close to the next pay-out level, damn, I'd pay another $5 (or $10, or whatever the add-on is) at that time for another 2,000 chips and another orbit around the table before I'm in push-and-pray mode. Say you're there in that situation and didn't add on ... you'll be kicking yourself.

I know, this seems like such a 'what if' scenario. But toward the end of those tournaments, every chips counts, and I want as many of them as I can get my hands on. And if that means adding-on for another 5 or 10 bucks even if I have 15+K, I'm going to do it. Every time.

You can't buy another 2,000 chips on the bubble. And I'd rather be safe than sorry. And if that's -EV and the 'incorrect' thing to do, then I guess I'll have to live with that.

03-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Like I said... I don't know whether it's +EV or not, I just do it..... No real reasoning.

Gavin

SheepCookers
03-01-2005, 06:11 PM
I don't think they let you add-on if you have more then 20K in chips. At least in 3$ rebuy satellites. So maybe they have that 10% thing implemented in the software, but it looks like the number where you don't need to add-on anymore.

yoadrians
03-01-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think they let you add-on if you have more then 20K in chips. At least in 3$ rebuy satellites. So maybe they have that 10% thing implemented in the software, but it looks like the number where you don't need to add-on anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone know if this is true? I can't imagine a tournament saying 'Everyone else can add on, but since you're playing so well and have so many chips, YOU can't.'

This can't be true? Can it? My guess is 'Absolutely Not' ... but hey, what do I know? I've never been at 20K of a rebuy after the first hour, so I have no point of reference.

SheepCookers
03-01-2005, 06:30 PM
it definitely did happen to me and I was trying to add on. Not sure why but for some reason it seemed wrong to pass up a 2000 in chips for only 3$.

It was a few month ago I don't play many of those, just takes too long.

yoadrians
03-01-2005, 06:39 PM
"In general, the add-on is available no matter how many chips you have." - Pokerstars.com

Not sure what happened in your case, but it looks like Stars' rule is that you may add-on no matter how many chips you have.

SheepCookers
03-01-2005, 09:46 PM
OK just open a 3$ rebuy sat and open tourney information ... it says right that you can not rebuy if you have more then 20000

yoadrians
03-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Yes it does. I find that odd, but hey, I won't doubt you again /images/graemlins/smile.gif